YOUR Guitar Of The Week, Vol 2

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Gloveberg, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    I'm really happy about the positive feedback for this idea along with the amazing guitars posted.

My entry this week is a 1987 Westone XA-1330. Anyone that knows me knows my love of 80's rock including the so-called "hair bands" so of course I had to have a SuperStrat (or two) in the collection.

Westone started out as Electra and was basically created as a "house brand" for a US music instrument importer called St Louis Music and were made in the Matsumoku factory in Japan. Matsumoku along with the famed Fujigen plant made a TON of guitars for pretty much everyone in the 70's and 80's. The Matsumoku plant was sold and switched from making guitars in February of 1987 to I believe sewing machines (seriously??) and according to the serial number my guitar was made in January of '97 so it was among the last runs before the switch.

It's a typical 80's SuperStrat with a H-S-S setup, pointy headstock (YES!!) and Floyd Rose inspired locking tremolo system. The official color is White Burgundy Burst but the white on the outer edges has turned over the years to sort of a greenish I guess....lol. It's different and cool, fits right in with your typical Cinderella cover band :cool:

Here she is so let's get it rolling!!

IMG_3465[1].JPG
    IMG_3466[1].JPG
    IMG_3469[1].JPG
    IMG_3468[1].JPG

2. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    That settles it.My next build is a super strat.

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Very cool!

4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    This is my most recent build. Shell pink GFS tele body with tv jones power Trons, wilkinson bridge,and a killer CV tele neck. Just a straight up rock guitar. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I’ll continue with the 80’s theme! This was my very first “good” electric guitar. I bought it new at Chuck Levin’s in 1984 I think. I know I had it my Freshman year of high school and that was in 1984. Like many of us young teenagers back then, I wanted to be just like EVH so I had to get a Kramer. This is a low end model because that’s all I could afford. But I played the heck out of it for a couple years before I got into cars and took a very long hiatus from guitars. Luckily I never sold it over the years and it has been following me around for most of my life. It’s a plywood body, but it plays and sounds surprisingly good. I have never done anything to it, it is all stock.

EDD69CD6-3B9D-4B41-A142-2333BC1B206C.jpeg FB21FCB0-2BEB-4616-A2EA-1940BEB2C79F.jpeg 3BA2936E-C2C6-4707-97BA-114B73A59F9D.jpeg 0CED13EA-91E9-4194-AB93-618374C3E9B3.jpeg

6. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    This is my SQ P-bass. This belonged to my father. I believe he bought it new, or lightly used, around 1984-ish after his old bass was stolen during a church break-in. He played it in church and in a gospel quartet for several years. After around 1995 or so, he didn't play much, so it pretty much sat in a case in his closet until he passed away in 2009. That's when it came home with me.

I don't play bass (neither in 2009 or even in 2020), but I do pull it out once in a while and pluck at it. I guess the SQ's are supposed to be really good ones, but I wouldn't really even know because of my limited experience and interest in bass guitars. Anyway, here she is...

[​IMG]

7. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I was a huge Van Halen fan, could not afford any of his signature guitars back then. That dude influenced a lot of purchases.

8. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    My guitar this week is my 80's-ish Strat, an HSH monster sporting a super hot GM "Bruizer" humbucker, Ashtyn continues the 80s flashback theme.

Ashtyn.jpg

9. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I played in a metal band for over ten years so the pointy metal guitar with a Floyd Rose is kinda my thing.

My guitar of the week is my 2003 Jackson RR-3. I bought this in early '06 used from L&M for about $700 CAD. It was made in Japan and is one of the first years that Fender owned Jackson. I'm not sure if any changes to the building of the instruments had changed at that point but I will say that this guitar is really solid.

It features two Duncan Designed Detonators, which is the import version of the Invader. The bridge pup is pretty hot and the neck pup is quite a bit mellower. Each pickup has its own volume so you can do toggle tricks and the middle position can be shaped by the volume controls.

The Jackson Floyd is an OEM version of the 1000 series, which features short screws for the saddle blocks. It's really well made and like all my guitars is using four straight springs for maximum smoothness and tension.

I've got the action dialed really low on this guitar. Lower than my new MIM Fender even (although I'm starting to suspect the MIM could use a fret level.) The access to the upper registers is very easy on a Rhoads V, so this guitar is very fun to play leads on. I used it as my main axe for gigs and studio work for the entire later period of my band's activity. We've been on hiatus now for a while but I would surely use this axe again if we got a gig.

Mods on this one have been pretty light. I put copper foil in the electronics cavity and that's about it. I did have to get one fret reinstalled because it was knocked off a guitar stand in the band house which partially bent a fret off the board. Took it to a luthier and I can't even tell which fret they replaced, they did that good of a job.

Without further ado the pics:

20190928_091444.jpg
    20190316_184215.jpg
    Apparently I haven't taken a ton of pictures of this guitar. Maybe I'll take some more later and add them to the thread.

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    For me it just has to be this one. My 2016 Supro White Holliday.

First a bit about this truly unique (and to me GORGEOUS!!!) guitar...

Supro, as most of us know, was once among the 2nd line "greats." Totally US (Chicago born and breed), with a pedigree that goes back to the earliest attempts to make the guitar loud enough for live use in a modern band.

That started with the "Dobro" and ended up, well, here. With a modern, fiberglass (billed as "Acoustiglas"), electric with two entirely different types of PUPS. A totally unique side magnet, overdriven, single coil "Vistatone" that out P90s a P90, and an unseen piezo PUP that via electro/physical compression creates a signal from the guitar's acoustic vibrations.

Never a big seller -- far fewer than, say, Gibson, Fender or Epiphone -- Supros were even than an unusual, and some would say, "aquired" taste.

Here's one of the originals (from 1965)...

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 10.36.30 AM.png

And here's mine. From 2016...

Supro White Holiday.jpg

Details 1.jpg

Body.jpg

White Holiday Headstock.jpg

The newer "reissue" version combines a poly-plastic (could'a come from a motorcycle helmet!) top with a carved out mahogany base.

The electric PUP is a very close remake of that Vistatone. One whose design, despite its similar to a humbucker's appearance, actually predates Gibson's by several years.

And yes, there is still that piezo electro PUP, just as weird as ever. ;)

Viewers of photographs often comment that the controls as placed must get in the way of the player. Actually, though, they do not . Not at all. That because they are considerably lower than the guitars strings.

With just the Electronic PUP on she's in P90 territory, sound-wise. But hotter and sassier. The Piezo gives her a sound quite like her antecedent The Dobro.

The two combined? Indescribable. (And, frankly, to me at least, not particularly useful.)

The trem unit is superb. Feel is halfway between a well setup Bigsby and a that of a Fender Jazzmaster.

If the trem has any shortcomings it is that it is even harder to string than the Bigsby and it adds a lot of weight to an otherwise superlight guitar.

Yes, she is unique. And to me beautiful.

Truly one of a kind.​

-don

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Martin DX1AE Macassar Burst

Missed last week, but this one counts for both... as well for the last two months.

Received in a straight swap for a Bass I’d been sitting on (Aria Pro II Steve Bailey Fretless V) for a couple years.
    It was Great swap, as I only had around $100, and two hours rewiring in the Aria! This was one where selling to a shop was the way to go, and they didn’t hesitate to do the swap (or throw in a hard case!).

I’ve played Martins, and Taylor’s before, but could not justify the cost of the top shelf ones, and even the “players” models like the X series are above my $500 personal limit.
    While I really would have preferred the cutaway version of this, once I played it, I couldn’t pass up the deal. Maybe it came from the factory this way, or maybe it was professionally setup by the previous owner... but it’s simply the easiest playing Steel string acoustic I’ve ever picked up. Even with the neck profile, it plays more like an electric, than an acoustic (fretting-wise), and while not as nuanced acoustically as a USA Martin, it has that boomy projection they are famous for. The Fishman controls in the sound hole are a nice touch as well. This is why I don’t mind the artificial materials in all but the top, and bracing... because most folks could never hear the all-wood nuances through the piezo vs this top/bracing only model. I’ve played it out five times already, and I like it more every time I play it.

Best part?! If I don’t play for a week, and my fingers are a bit soft, this is so easy to play, I can play for an hour straight, and no soreness at all (even with tweaking the nut on my Yamaha, it’s never been this easy to play, and I’m using the same strings).
    45DE7FF1-70D9-4798-BB28-B03FAB3DE8B6.jpeg B7935769-0E5D-4F13-8A15-758A34FDCC0F.jpeg

12. Gibson Mike

Gibson Mike Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    That's a lovely guitar you have there.

13. Gibson Mike

Gibson Mike Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    1984 Custom Shop Les Paul Studio 4.jpg 1984 Custom Shop Les Paul Studio 5.jpg 1984 Custom Shop Les Paul Studio 1.jpg 1984 Custom Shop Les Paul Studio 2.jpg 1984 Custom Shop Les Paul Studio 3.jpg

1984 Gibson Les Paul Studio Custom Shop in Plum burst
    I bought this from a shop in Kentucky and had it shipped to the UK, I have only ever seen two of these in all the years I've been playing, this one and one played by Michael Kelly Smith of Britny Fox on the video of "Long Way To Love".
    It plays and sounds fantastic.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  14. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    There were a lot of HSH guitars to start this off so I will present my Squier Stagemaster v1. Not a bad guitar at all. The neck is really nice. The Licensed by Floyd Rose bridge seems to be a bit of a weak point. Comfortable play and I imagine if I put some DiMArzio SDs this would be a killer hard rock beast! Plus its blue!!!

6072479B-FBBF-4C62-85E8-B6FE8FC84E06.jpeg D45BC6BD-0EB6-4FE2-B868-84D4848AB650.jpeg 5BD3B37D-4072-4CCC-9CBB-E12F631F8B53.jpeg

15. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I really like how that guitar has the looks of the vintage instruments that Fender and Squier are known for but the specs are totally 80's Super Strat!

16. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
  17. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    E2892A6D-123C-4AAF-ADD4-4E306A652454.jpeg This is my current # 2. It’s a partscaster that I finally got around to putting together on New Years Eve. It’s not like I want it yet. The DD HB103 is WAY too hot for the other pups. I’m gonna try a Fender Diamondback in it next. I want a black bridge and some black tuners as well.

18. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    So many really great guitars here.... every one of them in excellent playing condition. Sadly, not this poor baby I'm posting! Taking you back to 1965.... these guitars were made between 1963 and 1966 but still available up to 1968. This is the last year the Guild S 200 Thunderbird was made with this Gumby head stock. The original owner of this one didn't like the original 3 color sunburst so it was burned off with lighter fluid, then sprayed with some burgundy metallic automotive spray can enamel and put back in the case before the paint gassed off. Needless to say, it stunk like paint fumes really bad. When I saw it I had to rescue it because there aren't many out there. In the first photo you'll see it with the smelly paint and my coon cat, Oy. The rest of the photos will give you an idea of the 40 some hours I've got into wood repair and surface prep.... still not done. One day it will have a three color burst on the front. The back was burned too badly for a transparent finish but will look good sprayed black. I've got all the hardware but the original kickstand and the switch plate. I think you'll agree this Thunderbird is most likely the worst example in the entire world. But she will sing again.

Attached Files:

19. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Kind of puts a different vibe on what an offset could be.