Your first guitar?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Leo Jazzmaster, May 7, 2021.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Sunshine of Your Love was 67 Smoke was 72

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.
  2. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My first is the lowest Yamaha FG acoustic. I still own it and it is borderline unplayable at times. I use it to strengthen my fingers and because I love the sound,. It does sound nice, it is just hard to play

Shine and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Mine was a Strat from Lotus and I really wish I still had it..

Kinnon09 and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  4. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    According to my parents I was always showing interest in music, my uncle, who was a much younger than my mother, played and whenever we visited the grandparents I would always bug him to get the guitar out.

My parents decided to buy me a Sears catalog cheap-o acoustic guitar when I was 8 or 9 and they put me into lessons which did not go well. I found it far too challenging at the time and quit after a few lessons. Plus breaking a string on the guitar and thinking that it was busted for good (as we did not have an instrument store in the small town I lived in) so under the bed for dust collection it went for years.

When I was about 15 I started getting an itch to learn how to play after getting into AC/DC, after the Blow Up Your Video album, so a friend sold me a guitar he built from extra parts for $75 (which seems expensive now that I think about it LOL). If I recall it was a strat type parts caster with one single coil pick up and one volume control, that's it. I cannot recall how well the guitar played, but I picked up an AC/DC tab book I started teaching myself and the rest is history.

I don't know what happened to that guitar. About a year later, still being a massive AC/DC fan, I took my summer earnings and bought a 1968 SG and a 1961 Les Paul (SG). A few years later in my 20's I got stupid and traded both of those guitars for the current trend of Floyd Rose type of super strat (in was the early 90's LOL) which I did not take a liking too. I tried hard to save up enough to buy back my 1961 Les Paul (SG) from the store I traded it to, but it was sold before I could do so. I kick myself harder each time I see an early 60's SG on Reverb (or close to my 1968 either). Sigh... such is life.

Ok, that is my story :cool:

Shine, sureshot33 and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  5. CJMA

CJMA Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    My 1st was a Vester JSE750 superstrat I'd got for christmas (late 80's) when I's just graduated high school & was working in my families music store (now long gone). We carried these guitars for a few years. Still have the guitar, case, amp & even the tuner. Never getting rid of this guitar as long as I'm alive. I had 20 years off playing due to college then work & had to restart learning it all over again when I came back to it a few years ago. Been afflicted with G.A.S since then & had a few more including 2 more vesters but this is still my 1st fave.

Vester JSE750 A.JPG Vester JSE750 B.JPG Vester JSE750 C.JPG Gorilla TC35.JPG

Shine, Leo Jazzmaster, Eddd and 2 others like this.
  6. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

My first guitar was a (badly) used blue/purple DeVille (made by Yamaha, I think) Strat copy I bought back in 1997. Don't remember what I paid for it - probably about $150 - but the reason I chose that one was because the only other guitars at that price point were a few Squier Strats, and I thought Squier were 'crap' back then (even though I knew NOTHING about Squier, DeVille, or pretty much anything at all).

The reason I decided to play guitar was after seeing David Bowie on SNL back in '97 and being blown away by his guitarist, Reeves Gabrels, and especially his wild whammy bar work.

I basically justified the DeVille to myself because it has a vibrato bar and none of the other ones did.

But it was a BAAAAAD guitar. I kept it for maybe a week, returned it, and walked away with a Corona acoustic instead - a nice guitar that later came to be owned by a rather well-known busker here in Melbourne a few years later.

Shine, Leo Jazzmaster and Kinnon09 like this.
  7. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Cool as:cool:

8. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
  9. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
  10. Finnish Swede

Finnish Swede Squier-Meister

Apr 7, 2018
    Finland
    This ''partscaster''. I still own it. It did not look exactly this back in those days.

I have posted photo of this guitar in the past. Few ''dirty'' details (photos 2 & 3). Marks of original type of tremolo can be seen via body. Has not disturbed me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  11. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire

So, that's where Moomin went...

Kinnon09 and Finnish Swede like this.
  12. Finnish Swede

Finnish Swede Squier-Meister

Apr 7, 2018
    Finland
    Actually Moomins sleep over winter (winter sleep)

beagle likes this.
  13. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I would be kicking myself too! Those are classic guitars you had. I had a Korean Squier that I wish I had never sold. Maybe life will bring them or similar guitars back to you some day!

Shine likes this.
  14. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    It is almost like a dream. To think that I could be possessing items of such a value seems unreal to me.

I think I might have found my 1961 SG.....

Of course I cannot be certain, but the description to the crack that goes through the control cavity is practically identical to the break I made on it when I pulled on a lead while the guitar was plugged in and on a stand, which it fell off and broke the same way as Jake Kiszka describes. I did try to repair it myself, but I doubt I did a great job LOL.

But then again it could be chance that he has virtually the same guitar with the same break.

Shine and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I wish I had a pic of my crapola get started geet. A $12.99 (if memory serves) acoustic bought at a bargain store ("Modells Shoppers World" when that entire concept of a stores was new. About 1960.

To call that guitar crap was no understatement. It had NO radius to the board. The fret markers and the scratchguard were painted on.

But for all that I learned to play on it. Even gigged a little!

For there it had to be uphill - and it was. My next guitar the very next year was a student-level Gibson. And I gigged the hell out of that one!

Did recording sessions with it too. And even a few full stage concerts,

As seen here and here...

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 10.56.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 10.53.24 AM.png

Do I wish I still had either?

Maybe a bit.

I gave the 'cheese box' (as I even then called the crappo acoustic) to a cousin, and alas, she lost it somewhere. The other maybe merely for a memory. But as a player it was in truth nothing special.

-don

16. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    A strat with a Bigsby is just super cool. Some neat looking pickups too! That's a unicorn.

Kinnon09 and Finnish Swede like this.
  17. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    There's something special about that first guitar one gigs with. Mine was a Squier II MIK HSS. I wish I still had it too! But I probably won't buy one used because the price has shot up so much lately. They were incredible guitars for the money back in 1991 when I bought it.

duceditor likes this.
  18. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    That would be cool if it is your guitar. At least you would know it found a loving home!

the_dude likes this.
  19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

My parents were not about to buy me a guitar, probably couldn't afford it. I got my first job, washing dishes under the table for 2 bucks an hour (1971-ish, not too bad for a 12-13 year old kid). Took me a while to amass 100 dollars, with which I thought the world should have been my oyster. By now it was 1972. I scoured the "For Sale" section of the newspaper, and scanned bulletin boards at stores. Went to see a Gibson SG that the guy said was 4 years old (1968) but he wanted 200 dollars. It might as well have been a million. Finally found a guitar at Progris Music on Lake Street in Nashua. A used Yamaha hollow body double cutaway ES style. Useless vibrato. Muddy pickups. But it was mine. Another job or two later I had my first amp, a 1973('74?) new Princeton Reverb.

20. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Central Indiana
    My parents got me a Kay Star-Ter electric guitar and a small solid state amp for Christmas when I was 13. I didn't ask for it and didn't expect it. Took a few lessons. One guy tried to teach me music theory, which was a complete bust. I couldn't tell you exactly when I got serious about it or why, but by the time I was 17 I knew that if I ever wanted to spend some alone time with a lady, being a guitar player was my best bet. By the way, I also had that Jerry Rice rookie card. I sold it to a card shop for very little around 2000 because I needed gas and had no money.

*not mine, but just like it.
    [​IMG]