Your 3 best guitars for chugging metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerstroke

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2021
Usa
Other than a bad or racist slang term?

In Vancouver, 'chug' is a racist slang term for people of native (First Nations, aboriginal, Indian status) origin who are heavy drinkers and act rowdy in public places.

To move forward slowly, as of a train (which stereo-typically makes a chugging noise)
I guess you can't say anything anymore because someone somewhere is gunna cry

Slacker G

Squier-Meister
Sep 6, 2021
Iowa
guess you can't say anything anymore because someone somewhere is gunna cry
I sure didn't care one way or another as I'm not into the PCC. (PC crap)

I simply looked up the origin and def of the term in response to someones post asking what it meant and someone else saying "Look it up"
Just being helpful as I see it.
Personally I think it is a silly use of the word, but that shouldn't bother anyone unless they're overly sensitive, right?

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I sure didn't care one way or another as I'm not into the PCC. (PC crap)

I simply looked up the origin and def of the term in response to someones post asking what it meant and someone else saying "Look it up"
Just being helpful as I see it.
Personally I think it is a silly use of the word, but that shouldn't bother anyone unless they're overly sensitive, right?
Words are just words, it's the intentions of the user of the word that counts AFAIC.

For example, I'm Japanese and I'm not bothered by the word "MIJ." Yes, during WW2 it wasnt a particularly complimentary term used by the West. But WW2 was over 70 years and almost 2 generations ago. Heck, I sometimes use "MIJ" instead of the PC "Jpn" in my notes as a handwritten contraction of the word "Japanese." For typing, Jpn is easier, LOL.

I do NOT know what the hells going on. I type J A P and SOMETHING is converting it to MIJ. Go figure.

Whatever, you know what I meant.

Last edited:

Powerstroke

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2021
Usa
M
Words are just words, it's the intentions of the user of the word that counts AFAIC.

For example, I'm Japanese and I'm not bothered by the word "MIJ." Yes, during WW2 it wasnt a particularly complimentary term used by the West. But WW2 was over 70 years and almost 2 generations ago. Heck, I sometimes use "MIJ" instead of the PC "Jpn" in my notes as a handwritten contraction of the word "Japanese." For typing, Jpn is easier, LOL.

I do NOT know what the hells going on. I type J A P and SOMETHING is converting it to MIJ. Go figure.

Whatever, you know what I meant.
My new guitar chugs hard by the way 😆 20220501_230316.jpg 20220501_225332.jpg

Slacker G

Squier-Meister
Sep 6, 2021
Iowa

I do NOT know wh
Thank you for enlightening ignorant me with a class on how words change. Whoda thunk it.

Obviously you did not grasp the meaning of my post since you chose to enlighten me. I said I was answering a poster who asked for the definition of "chug". So I gave a definition and origin as defined on the Internet. To be clear, I did not insert my opinion in my reply, neither did I change the definition by adding or by taking something out of the definition. I only posted the definition of the word as already defined. I did not call "chug" a racist word, the definition I read did that.

But I do have a question: Chug is in one definition a racist term slandering an ethnic group of people (Indians). In another it appears to be an indication of the sound a train makes as it labors down the track. Neither usage appear to fit very well in a post dealing with guitars or playing one.

My question is: Why even use a word that has those definitions and try to equate it to guitar playing in any manner when other words are much clearer by definition?

I do resent people changing the definitions of words as I like words and their meanings. These days some people change the meanings of words simply to confuse our language. That is an evil intent mostly ignored but there is a purpose in doing that. The destruction of our language is the end goal of word definition changers. Here is what I found when I looked up "chug". I just copied and pasted this without modifying it in any way.

"What does chug mean in slang?
In Vancouver, 'chug' is a racist slang term for people of native (First Nations, aboriginal, Indian status) origin who are heavy drinkers and act rowdy in public places.Apr 20, 2011"

OK?

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Thank you for enlightening ignorant me with a class on how words change. Whoda thunk it.

Obviously you did not grasp the meaning of my post since you chose to enlighten me. I said I was answering a poster who asked for the definition of "chug". So I gave a definition and origin as defined on the Internet. To be clear, I did not insert my opinion in my reply, neither did I change the definition by adding or by taking something out of the definition. I only posted the definition of the word as already defined. I did not call "chug" a racist word, the definition I read did that.

But I do have a question: Chug is in one definition a racist term slandering an ethnic group of people (Indians). In another it appears to be an indication of the sound a train makes as it labors down the track. Neither usage appear to fit very well in a post dealing with guitars or playing one.

My question is: Why even use a word that has those definitions and try to equate it to guitar playing in any manner when other words are much clearer by definition?

I do resent people changing the definitions of words as I like words and their meanings. These days some people change the meanings of words simply to confuse our language. That is an evil intent mostly ignored but there is a purpose in doing that. The destruction of our language is the end goal of word definition changers. Here is what I found when I looked up "chug". I just copied and pasted this without modifying it in any way.

"What does chug mean in slang?
In Vancouver, 'chug' is a racist slang term for people of native (First Nations, aboriginal, Indian status) origin who are heavy drinkers and act rowdy in public places.Apr 20, 2011"

OK?
Easy bro, I wasn't upset at ye nor offended either. On rereading my post the upset tone was more directed at whatever is in middle of me and the Forum (possibly the Forum itself) that kept changing J A P to MIJ. I very much disliked others editing my own words.

Your points are valid and I have no problems with them. My point is that I'm not bothered by words unless the users intended them to personally, socially, racially, whatever-lly insulting. I just read between the lines and go by the intention and float with it.

My mistake is in being lazy and pointing my last message at the last commenter in the thread, which happened to be ye. Sorry about that.

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
If I am thinking about time period and commonly used models, then:

1970s metal would be KK or Paul Stanley with the Flying V. Good, fat metal rhythm guitar.

1980s shred metal is the ever present usually flashy colored Ibanez RG550 and the countless finger flyers who represented those.

1990s and Swedish/Nordic stuff, then my vote goes to the black BC Rich Warlock.

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Wow! There are some really ignorant people in this thread who think it's okay to use racist terms! I'll bet they are all entitled and uneducated white dudes that have discriminated against anyone who wasn't white and male their whole lives and have never faced the ugliness of discrimination themselves in any meaningful way. They seem to forget that Western culture has been politically correct all along. If you didn't agree 100% with The Church during the inquisition, they tortured you until you did or simply murdered you. Speaking your mind during the Red Scare of the 50s? Good luck with that. No one is going to arrest you or torture you for being an ignorant racist. Be thankful our side is not the violent one.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the type of music the OP was asking about. I have 21 guitars and 7 basses. None of them are appropriate for this genre of music.

duzie

Squier-Nut
Jul 8, 2017
Nw New Jersey
Wow! There are some really ignorant people in this thread who think it's okay to use racist terms! I'll bet they are all entitled and uneducated white dudes that have discriminated against anyone who wasn't white and male their whole lives and have never faced the ugliness of discrimination themselves in any meaningful way. They seem to forget that Western culture has been politically correct all along. If you didn't agree 100% with The Church during the inquisition, they tortured you until you did or simply murdered you. Speaking your mind during the Red Scare of the 50s? Good luck with that. No one is going to arrest you or torture you for being an ignorant racist. Be thankful our side is not the violent one.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the type of music the OP was asking about. I have 21 guitars and 7 basses. None of them are appropriate for this genre of music.
Hopefully you see irony in some of what’s written here 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.