Yet another problem.....

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Year Zero, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Stupid thing started to work right after I posted the problem...hehehe

grizzlewulf likes this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Nut

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Don't you just hate it when that happens. Hopefully it'll keep working for you.

Year Zero likes this.
  3. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Oh hell there is a problem. On the board channel one is the mic so channel two will be the guitar.
    Channel one the ring is flashing on the 2i2 as it should. BUT I plugged in the guitar into channel two of the board so the second input on the 2i2 should light but it's not. The channel 1 light is lighting BUT in channel 1 of the 2'2 not channel 2.

4. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I've been searching for and answer but nothing yet.

5. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe I'll skip using the mixer. It has lots of built in effects and other things but it doesn't know how to play well with the other kids' in musical sandbox.

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    How is the mixer connected to the interface? You should have two TRS-TRS cables running from line-level outputs on the mixer to the line inputs on the interface.

Year Zero and beagle like this.
  7. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Input channel 1 & 2 on the mixer are not the same as channels 1 & 2 on the interface. Assuming a stereo mixer, channel 1 on the interface will be left and channel two right.

Year Zero and LutherBurger like this.
  8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Do you really need an external mixer when there is one in built in your DAW?.

Year Zero likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Yes. @Year Zero, your mixer's primary job is to mix all of its input channels down to two output channels, which will feed the two inputs on the interface. If you only want to record the mic in Channel 1 (left) and the guitar in Channel 2 (right) and not actually mix anything until it's inside the computer, pan the mixer's Channel 1 hard left and Channel 2 hard right.

You may also need a DI box for the guitar, but I'm not sure about that.

drewcp, Year Zero and beagle like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Not unless you're recording the drum kit with multiple mics.

drewcp, Year Zero and 5ofeight like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Not if you record guitar direct into the Scarlett 2i2. The mixer is an unknown quantity.

Year Zero and 5ofeight like this.
  12. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Yeah, I meant for the mixer. Some mixers have switchable high-impedance inputs, but I don't know about his.

5ofeight and beagle like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    At this point I'd take the mixer out of the chain, it's really unnecessary and is just causing confusion.

drewcp, Caddy, 5ofeight and 1 other person like this.
  14. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I agree. If he only wants the mic and guitar at one time, that's the easiest solution. But if he wants the drum machine too, he'll need the mixer.

Year Zero, beagle and 5ofeight like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Record the drum machine first. There's no need to record guitar and drums together, in fact with a DAW that's a terrible idea.

drewcp, grizzlewulf and Caddy like this.
  16. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Why?

17. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    They’d only light when the signal is strong enough to make them light (has to be sound input). There are also selectors below for guitar and line. Are they selected correctly for your input source? Are the gain pots set high enough for each channel?

Just record the drum track first and then add one track (instrument) at a time afterwards. The actual purpose of multi tracking. Leave the mixer out of it and just use the Focusrite i2i.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    kdm1218 and beagle like this.
  18. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Too many buttons to press to start everything going is the first problem. :D

Secondly, each instrument needs its own track if you want to mix after recording, otherwise you are stuck with a simple two track (not even stereo) recording using the mixer and the Scarlett 2i2. You may as well just record on your phone.

19. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    OK. My assumption was that he wanted to do all the mixing on the mixer.

Year Zero likes this.
  20. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I've done it, live and recording to tape, with a Commodore Amiga sequencing bass and controlling the Yamaha drum machine via MIDI.

That's why I love my DAW...

Year Zero, 5ofeight and LutherBurger like this.