Would you relic one of your guitars?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ishmann, Feb 3, 2017.

1. StillSourDiesel

StillSourDiesel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2013
    Detroit
    I wouldnt call what I did to my bullet relic. I also know a guy that does it for a living, and he says it isnt actually called relic, but distressed. I've seen relic much more, so not sure who to trust.

My bullet, i just stripped the clear coat off. I like it better not shiny.

2. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I'm assuming relic is a trademark name for FMIC along with roadworn.

Here's a relic job that hurts me. My prized guitar is a Deluxe Vintage Player '62 Strat. These were MIA Strats that combined an AV '62 with a Deluxe. It was also the first non Custom Shop Strat to go back to a nitro finish. They only made them for one year. They came out in two colors. Mine is Ice Blue Metallic and the other is Olympic White. I was googling DVPs and found this monstrosity.

https://reverb.com/item/907226-fend...ic-stratocaster-rare-2005-olympic-white-relic

And because I like to post pics, here's mine.

[​IMG]

3. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Am assuming by the use of the word "relic,' one means to artificially "age" a guitar to look like it's been played hard. Nope, my dings and scratches are honest and accidental ... no artificial relicing here, but .... one can do what one wants to with their guitar...it's just hard to make it look real, and usually looks like excrement

Joe90 and eaglesgift like this.
  4. Sub9doC

Sub9doC Squier Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    Kentucky
  5. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

My god! The strat in your link was "professionally" Reliced? That poor guitar looks terrible! What a waste!

6. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    My thought is that he took it to a place and asked them if they would relic it. They probably thought, "this idiot is going to pay us to beat up his guitar???" I think it looks like they left it out in a hail storm.

Brever likes this.
  7. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Yeah, or a BB gun target. That's awful!

surf green and Acidhouse like this.
  8. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I am considering building a Micdawber tribute, possible from a Road Worn Tele as a base. If I did I may add a bit to the (Distressing) worn look. I guess this qualifies. Like others I did strip off the shine on one of my guitars to give it more of a vintage look, but I would say that is a far cry from "relicking".

9. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  10. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    In answer to the OPs question, no, I would never relic one of my guitars. I dedicate my efforts to turning back the hands of time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. East Coast player

East Coast player Squier Talker

Jun 4, 2016
    East Coast
    Relic a guitar? NEVER! Hell I can't stand scratches, dings or dents except on a pickguard.

12. East Coast player

East Coast player Squier Talker

Jun 4, 2016
    East Coast

Those "Telemaster"-style offsets are sweet, nice job. Are they Fender/Squier bodies or an another manufacturers project body? If an aftermarket like MJT where can I buy one? I ask because I have two extra necks hanging around, a 21 fret rosewood fretboard Strat neck and a maple fretboard Tele that need bodies and am looking for something to house a set of GFS Lipsticks I have and/or a set of the GFS Gold Foils I've been considering purchasing.

13. Joe90

Joe90 Squier-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Edmonton, Canada
    rel•ic
    /'relik/
    noun
    an object surviving from an earlier time, especially one of historical or sentimental interest.

There's something about using a noun as if it were a verb and turning it into something that it is not that's incongruous and contrived. Other nouns that I don't like seeing used as verbs: Orgasm and Dialogue.

I prefer the word distressed. But I've never owned a distressed leather jacket or distressed jeans. Lots of people feel comfortable making that fashion statement, but not me.

Saying that, I did take a beat up Affinity, stripped it and stained it to emulate weathered barn board.

14. hang dog

hang dog Squier Talker

Dec 16, 2016
    North Carolina
    SORRY , I wouldn't Ruin, I mean Relic any of mine

Brever likes this.