Would you relic one of your guitars?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ishmann, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-Nut

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    The mojo is in the playing and the player, and their history. When Keith Richards brings out some ancient tele or Esquire that looks like it's been through hell, that's got mojo written all over it. When *I* bring out a guitar that looks like it's been through hell, it's got klutz written all over it. Or if done artificially, poser.

Flyer91, scifilullaby, Brever and 4 others like this.
  2. joe_7

joe_7 Squier-Meister

Jul 18, 2015
    USA
    I am okay with the relic jobs that look authentic, but many are overboard and look too phoney to me. I do not think I will relic any of my guitars, but would consider buying one if I liked it enough, or perhaps throw together a custom axe out of already beat-up parts.

Flyer91, jackdragbean and SoundDesign like this.
  3. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2011
    Wi USA
  4. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Yeah, that second guitar hasn't been reliced. It's been trashed, ruined, damaged.

surfrodguitar and Flyer91 like this.
  5. ultra80096

ultra80096 Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2015
    Iowa
    To each his own, but to me & my guitars, No Way.

Flyer91 and savofenno like this.
  6. MrHooligan73

MrHooligan73 Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2016
    USA
    After checking out the finish on my bullet I have decided to not to. Not wanting to peel it like an orange as it appears that is what will happen if I get brace and try to relic it so daily abuse will have to suffice for a relic job. My LPs though have been around the block over the years and beat to death playing them and make up for the shiny pretty new finish my billet has.

Flyer91 likes this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    I have not distressed any of my guitars but I did use fine steel wool to dull the shiny surface of my Johnson Strat clone. I did it because it had several scratches and the sunburst panels on the front didn't match all that well. I liked the visual result: the scratches were more subdued as well as the mismatch of the panels.

However ... stupid me didn't think to shield the electronics so I got steel wood splinters on my ceramic magnets and it caused a terrible buzz, like if your cable was going bad.

And as others have said it sort of depends upon the skill level of the relicing. Ibanez has come out with a line of "distressed" acoustics that I think look pretty good, such as

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=3&series_id=83&data_id=11&color=CL01

Flyer91 likes this.
  8. 9fears08

9fears08 Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2017
    Bristol
    Totally agree!! I never damage my guitars on purpose. If it's what you want to do who am I to judge but why not buy a guitar with less of a finish on so it weathers quicker? Like I say though, it's your guitar!!

Flyer91 and ultra80096 like this.
  9. Bear

Bear Squier-holic

Oct 29, 2013
    Kentucky
    I have never liked seeing beat up guitars. I know dings, dents, and scratches happen when you're a gigging musician but doing it deliberately has never made sense to me. And, to pay extra for it on a new guitar just doesn't compute!

Flyer91 and ultra80096 like this.
  10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I wouldn't do it to my own guitars. But that's me. People also pay top dollar for new furniture that looks old. But that's them.

Flyer91 likes this.
  11. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    Ask Joe Bonamassa

Flyer91 and Acidhouse like this.
  12. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Growing up, it was considered uncivilised to do anything else but take the utmost care of any musical instrument. If time wants to do its thing let it do it.

But I wouldn't 'antique' a guitar just like I never tore my jeans to make them look worn. Just hang in there, time will catch up, and when it does you will regret eagerly waiting for it to catch up ;-) And btw I think that past tense of 'relic' is 'relicked' accent on the first syllable, gentlemen. Quote: In the rare cases in which this (final) c is followed in inflexion by e or i, it is necessary to change it to ck, as in physicking,mimicking, frolicking, trafficker, picnicker unquote. Now you know :)

Flyer91 likes this.
  13. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2010
    pittsburgh
    I play in some very high end hotels, fancy clubs and events. I wear a nice suit and neck tie. My girl friend of a long time is my boss. She said we all must look the part, she put together a great group of artists. Horn and string sections, keyboards three drummers that play different kinds drums in a rhythm section. My guitar has to be in near perfect condition too. Most of my guitars are older, a beaten up axe ain't gonna cut it, I keep them new looking. A reliced guitar is like a finish, I never liked it the same as a bright pink guitar. Most relic jobs look fake. Tony did it not time for example and Tony never left the block. Never a world tour, he just beat up a new guitar. I need to work with professional gear and look like I care about appearance. Tia is in a photo dressed in an evening gown. 83584E29-2F1C-4CA7-A342-9CFE4B529808-482-0000009E318979E5_tmp.jpg IMG_0907.JPG IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2062.JPG

Attached Files:

Flyer91, jackdragbean and mb doug like this.
  14. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    I don't mind relic if it comes naturally. I would not do it on purpose. My brother's mij squier is naturally 'aged' I don't a picture. I do have a picture of my Dad's Fender bass, now in another brothers possession. It had it's neck replaced about a year into it's life due to twisting.

20130910_192415.jpg

Flyer91, Brever and AngelDeVille like this.
  15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    No. I am more likely to fix the blemishes than to cause them deliberately.

Flyer91, Brever and savofenno like this.
  16. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I'm going to buy a cheapie guitar soon specifically so I can relic it. I now have some cool vintage looking hardware that I'm eager to install. But on a pristine body, it would look totally out of place. So I'll give the body some age and wear to match the hardware. I need to read up on how to do this to a modest degree. I also want to know what kind of paint job can most readily be treated to check and fade. I'm sure there are YT videos on the subject.

Flyer91 likes this.
  17. Kylo

Kylo Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2017
    Glasgow
    I've got a POS Jagmaster That's got some weird age related wear, along besides the usual chips around the edges there's a circle of discolouration on the contour where the silvers turned green and the finish is rough, I'm guessing a sticker was there at some point and the residue left over has turned green

Flyer91 likes this.
  18. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Meister

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Hey Joe, I've got 3 guitar bodies over here that didn't take paint right. No worries, put them in the relic room and we'll sell them for two times the money. :rolleyes:o_O

19. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    I'm one of those who could not possibly beat up a good guitar ... but, I do kind of like the way they look.

What's cool is that nowdays you can get guitars that have ALREADY been beat up, and you don't have to do the dirty deed yourself!

I'm about to start a relic project - and getting a Road Worn Strat as the foundation.

I guess now that I think about it, its just like I am with meat - I could not bring myself to kill an animal, but have no issues with others doing so... as a matter of fact I pay a premium (at the grocery) for someone else to do it for me!

Acidhouse likes this.
  20. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-Nut

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    I personally wouldn't …. at present. However, if I had money to burn I might have a go at ageing a CV or in fact just buy a CS relic. Basically I'd say it depends on how much money you have. Does it make a difference to the sound or playability… no of course not but do some relic jobs look fabulous…. yes!