Would you relic one of your guitars?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ishmann, Feb 3, 2017.

1. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
  2. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I guess that's why I don't really consider selling guitars that I've purchased. I bought them because I wanted them. I like them all. Whatever happens to them throughout the course of my learning / playing will be the story, whether they stay somewhat pristine, or not.

Rollmeaway, Brever, Flyer91 and 2 others like this.
  3. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I've relic'd a Bullet and a Tele and I also did a cool swirl design on an Ibanez RG570. Except for the RG, I did it on ones that it didn't matter if I messed it up. I really love the awesome relic jobs on the Wildwood guitars.

MrHooligan73, Flyer91 and jamndad like this.
  4. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Baby Jesus will make you burn in hell!! :rolleyes: A screwdriver slip is "real" relic. Exacerbating it with a chainsaw and a grinder is "fake" relic. Kinda like fake news (it used to be called propaganda); far too many people think it's true. The truly wise can spot a fake. ;)

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    That's so true !

Brever and Flyer91 like this.
  6. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    I'd rather throw myself down a well

7. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I think if someone wants to relic their guitar, cool! If someone wants to tuck it away in a case to keep it pristine, cool! Whatever will motivate someone to pick it up and make music...doesn't matter. I like both, but would much rather accidentally ding a squier than a $3k PRS...that's why I got rid of it! Way too nice for me.

8. Some of them look really cool.
    I'm just too anal to take a perfect one and relic it
    To me that's just too much.
    But if I came across an ugly player in a lower price range, I might be inclined to play around with relicing it or doing up a steam punk.

But you bought it with your own hard earned, so ....

9. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Not on purpose!

Some apparently like it and seam to have a great time doing it, I am all about fun so have at it.

Flyer91, Brever and jackdragbean like this.
  10. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    I might stain the neck on my se, looks really pale beside my 20 year old guitar. You can see the natural yellowing on the neck of the older guitar and spots where my hand rests are darker. Just a touch to see more of the grain pattern is about as far as I can imagine.

Flyer91, Kenneth Mountain and Brever like this.
  11. bikerboy94

bikerboy94 Squier Talker

May 5, 2016
    Southern Tier New York
  12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Seems to me to be a thing of the hipster, to own something that looks to be from a past generation.
    We can see this in their motorbikes/cycles, or the way they like to dress...would I do this to one of my guitars, the answer to that has to be no...

13. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-Nut

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    I was going to say I'd rather chew on rusty razor blades, but same thing...

14. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    When done well, i.e. professionally, relics can look good as art but it doesn't help the sound one bit plus makes you look pretty pretentious. Nothing the Fender Custom Shop can do will ever take the place of true wear from years of playing and passing a guitar down to the next generation. Trying to play make believe just isn't cool in my book.

15. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

It don't mind. I've got one that I've reliced a bit. Not sure I'm in to huge relics myself, but each to their own. If that's what you like, fair enough.

16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh yeah! As soon as I've finished ripping out the knees in a new pair of jeans.

Being reliced myself I know the good of it!

:D

-don

17. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Nut

There are some people that are good at it but many, many more who think they are and aren't. I wouldn't personally undertake it.

I think guitars that look like that should have long histories and lots of good stories. Relics have neither.

18. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    I usually buy my guitars used so they already have some wear on them but I'd never purposely add to it by doing more unnecessary damage. I try to make them look better...lol

I do like the look and feel of the Fender Roadworn series though. If it's done tastefully I don't mind it.

19. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I didn't originally get the relic idea either. It grew on me over time. Originally, I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever heard of. I certainly wouldn't pay someone to relic my car or my clothes. However, I started to appreciate that a good relic job was like art and not much different than desiring a red guitar over a black guitar.
    If you have the time, there is a good article that I'm putting a link to and if you don't, the highlights are that there are pros out there that get relic Strats and that there is science behind the idea that a well done relic can be tonally superior to its non relic'd counterpart.

http://www.johnpageguitars.com/pdfs/18-23 Relics 21-11.pdf

Good relic:

[​IMG]

Bad relic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  20. MrHooligan73

MrHooligan73 Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2016
    USA
    I've been told there is a special place for me there so I'm kindly looking forward to it honestly.
    Nonetheless fake or not it will be personalized with much care and attention. No chainsaws or hard core equipment need for the light paint chipping I'm doing. It will be light sandpaper and craft knife carving at the most the clear coated and buffed maybe.

Flyer91 and Acidhouse like this.