Would you relic one of your guitars?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ishmann, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

I'm kind of on the fence with this. Would I relic one of my guitars? Probably not since I would more than likely mess something up and regret it. I could see too much going wrong.

But in the other hand if done right I could see the appeal of one that is well reliced (is that a word?)
    I have a friend that spent a bunch of money to relic one of his and it looks really cool.

Anyone out there in Squierland pro relic? If so do you have any pictures to share?

IronSchef, Flyer91 and jamndad like this.
  2. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpg image.jpg This is a Squier of mine a buddy did.A bit over the top,but it plays incredible.I also had one that looked great,but played so so.

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    I did one once because a guitar teacher had a really cool original 50's or early 60's strat and I took mine a step further...

[​IMG]

Flyer91, mb doug, squierbilly and 4 others like this.
  4. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Working on relicing this one, probably need another 8 to 10 years.
    [​IMG]

5. five teles

five teles Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    I have a highway one Stratocaster that I bought new several years ago. I told myself when I bought it that I shouldn't obsess about keeping it mint,i would rather use it as a tool for learning to play and let it show honest wear . It is a lacquer blonde finish and it has really aged nice just using it normally. Probably not the answer for many, but I'd rather see a guitar with honest to goodness wear than anything I've seen yet from a "relic" project.

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Would I deliberately scratch, cut, hammer on, burn, or in any way try to make one of my guitars look like it had been through a make believe war zone ??
    Naw...I don't smoke that stuff any more..

7. telebug655

telebug655 Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2017
    delawere county pa.
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO........................................!

savofenno, Brever, Flyer91 and 4 others like this.
  8. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    HELL NO!!

Let me take a perfectly good guitar and f**k it up to make it look like something it isn't.

Homie don' play 'dat.

9. platefire

platefire Squier-Meister

Sep 14, 2016
    North Louisiana
    I was seriously considering doing it to
    One of my cheap project guitars and I couldn't bring myself to do it, just goes against my nature. However I still think they look cool! Platefire

10. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Meister

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Well, I just bought a box of scratched up, banged up guitars and spent two weeks making one of them look wonderful. Scratched and dented guitars makes baby Jesus cry.

11. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Only "REAL" relics look good. Everything else is male bovine excrement!

12. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Nope is the simple answer

Of course I swore never to put a sticker on one either. I have found a couple stickers worthy of using.

Flyer91 and jamndad like this.
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Absolutely not! I try to keep mine in like new condition, as I do with all my stuff. No more than I would want to purposely 'relic' my car or house.

Brever, fuelish, jefffam and 4 others like this.
  14. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Don't understand this trend to be honest. I guess I can live with teenagers wanting to buy jeans that are ripped and faded (although to be honest I find that fake too) but grown men (and women?) deliberately destroying the finish on their guitars to make them look like something they're not?...no, I can't get my head round that. It seems like a symptom of the plastic society in which we live nowadays, where very little is real or authentic.

A well worn Strat is cool because the battle scars it bears are real - evidence of a hard life on the road. To try to mimic that is ridiculous and has no value, in my opinion. I feel very strongly about reliced guitars so I apologise for probably coming across as a pompous old fool.

savofenno, Caddy, fuelish and 3 others like this.
  15. Ninet1gt

Ninet1gt Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2013
    Canton, OH
    I like that one a lot @Luvs2yoko .

[​IMG]

The off White one in the middle is a relic.

[​IMG]

This blue one is some relic and some honest to goodness wear.

Everybody likes different things. Do what you like. Someone mentioned cars and houses, but people have rat rods and I work in construction/remodeling and the distressed look is wildly popular right now.

16. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Can you imagine your neighbours' reactions if they saw you outside, giving your car some loving attention with a hammer and sander? :)

savofenno, Caddy, Flyer91 and 2 others like this.
  17. MrHooligan73

MrHooligan73 Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2016
    USA
    Guess I'm one of the rare ones here as well cause I'm about to relic the not even a week old bullet I got thanks to a screwdriver slip on the back of the body whilst removing the back plate. My LP's is all natural relic so one faker can't hurt. Guess baby Jesus will have to overlook this one cause I'm about to rough it up.

18. pcampbell

pcampbell Squier-Meister

Jan 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I would not. Others may choose to, but I would not. To take a perfectly good guitar and do that -- it makes me cringe to think of it. But that's just me.

savofenno, Caddy, jefffam and 5 others like this.
  19. jjudas

jjudas Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'm never inclined to relic a guitar. I might consider buying a guitar that was beat up already and make it mine. I appreciate guitars too much to purposely damage them to attempt to get a certain look.

20. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    The sq Tele I picked up a couple months ago was really beat up. The spot where you would rest your right arm, the paint was all chipped so it irritated my skin. So I figured I would just take off more poly so I can feel smooth wood. Well I had to keep taking off more and more poly off. And the back of the tele has artwork. So I guess I relic'd it out of necessity. Added the mint green pickguard too.[​IMG][​IMG]