Would you pay $1000 for an import? (Other than MIJ)

Conghaille

Squier-holic
Jul 12, 2016
Chicago adjacent
If the quality and workmanship is top notch with NO issues and NO modding to be done, I'd possibly buy an import for that much. However what's the resale/used value going to be, $700? I might look at used MIA then at around $800-$1000.
the only way things have value is demand and supply. When the guitar collecting public agrees that country of origin is a significant element of value, you create the situation you are describing. Country of origin is arbitrary when it comes to quality, but believing it matters today spoils the value of used imports.

Cochise

Squier-Meister
Sep 26, 2020
Michigan
I paid around a grand for my Reverend back in 2013. It was MiK. Worth every cent, imo. It's a lot of money, but I think Reverend still represents the best value in that price tier, all things considered.

Angry Possum

Obsessed With Music & Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
Guitar prices are going through the roof. Import guitars are now exceeding a grand.

I can't see myself paying a grand for an non-MIJ import. Not even MIK. Can't do it.

I guess the counter argument is that it doesn't really matter where it's made ... as long as it's made well. But I can't do a grand on an import. Even $850 for an MIM Fender is pushing it.

I was browsing the MF on-line catalog for electric guitars ... and the majority of the $1000-1500 segment were all imports. Smokes. When did imports get so expensive?
Well now, it's a good thing I have 72 guitars. I'm Rich.😁😆🙂🙃😝😋

radiotech

Squier-Axpert
Apr 23, 2014
Freedonia
I only have one guitar that I paid over 1K for (Fender USA acoustasonic Jazzmaster) but it didn’t feel like it, because I traded $500 worth of stuff I wasn’t using, and added another $600 cash (and had to do some work on it)
Even having it for a while now, and being my main axe to play out, I can say I would not have paid retail for it (and glad I didn’t). It’s a nice guitar, and almost perfect for my set lists, but it ain’t ‘effin magic… it’s still me playing.

While it is an excellent performance guitar, it is not a super inspiring one to play that sparks me on like some of my electrics.

There are imports I’ve considered that were above my usual $500 limit, and ones I’ve bought low that were WORTH more than that, that I’ve sold high/traded upwards of $700 (Aria Steve Bailey bass for Martin dread w/HSC), but nothing on my radar that wows me enough to bite at 1K.

Nothing American either other than what I have. The Acoustasonic Tele’s and Strat’s I’ve played just aren’t as responsive as the Jazzmaster is (and even though normal sized, look small when I’m playing them).

If I paid a grand for anything, it would most likely be a buy-low for a high-profit flip than anything.

Ace38

Squier-holic
Jul 19, 2016
Tulsa, OK.
I really dig this Fender FMT Telecaster, but I can't bring myself to pay a grand for an Indonesian made guitar.

I'm sure it plays great, but at that price, I may as well pay a little more for a MIA Performer.
Herein lies my issue with the post. Does the MIA performer have the same appointments? If not, you're not buying a guitar, you're buying a name.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Herein lies my issue with the post. Does the MIA performer have the same appointments? If not, you're not buying a guitar, you're buying a name.

I really like the FMT Tele. You definitely get a lot for your money. But the depreciation is killer. That also means that I can get a great deal on a pre-owned one if one pops up ... which I hope will happen.

Ace38

Squier-holic
Jul 19, 2016
Tulsa, OK.
I really like the FMT Tele. You definitely get a lot for your money. But the depreciation is killer. That also means that I can get a great deal on a pre-owned one if one pops up ... which I hope will happen.
Agreed, but the comparison is flawed. It's like saying I like this green apple but over here is a steak for only a couple more dollars.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Yum, me likey !!!
I was really close to buying a Guild A-150 in a special finish, the price was $1500.00 and some change. BUT I followed good advice from people here, and I went to play one like it in a different finish. Too bulky of a guitar for me. Not sure where it was made, I did not think to check anything out regarding that. I notice on eBay there are a lot of high dollar guitars, way up in price for 15-20 some odd thousand dollars. Now that to me is insane. I suppose rock and roll stars can drop that sort of cash for one, but even then most real popular people in the music industry get their guitars for free due to endorsements. Check out Eric Clapton's Fender Custom Shop guitars that he gets from Fender. They are not exactly the same as what Fender makes with his "signature" on them but might be close to it. I know he gets his guitars from Fender for free. Other "stars" Buddy Guy, etc., also get free Custom Shop guitars.

For now, I I am sticking to what I own and learn to "play it like I stole it" and enjoy!

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Same here. I try to avoid new guitars also, I only have a few new ones. But the tricky thing about pre-owned guitars is that it's tough to find what I want, and when a good deal pops up, someone else grabs it. :(
True about how it seems you can set your sights for something and then whammo, someone else grabs it up. That happened to me a few times but a silver lining to that, later I had the opportunity to have that same exact item in my hand...and found out it was junk compared to what I thought it would have been. This has not happened in the "guitar' realm yet to me, but as I have learned so much from all of you here, count on me askiing a ton of questions before I spend any large sum of money on any guitar. Now I know Martin Guitars have a high price tag, but they have been that way forever, Martin D-28 has always been way over a grand or two since I can recall them back in the early 1960's when I first was being interested in any guitars to own and play. The Martin was somewhat a coveted guitar that I just never owned but sure wanted to. But not now, no way. They are not worth it to me. Maybe for someone else but not for me.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Now here's a question that to me is worth thinking about -- even if we decide not to express those thoughts. Is it better -- or, put slightly differently, would I prefer -- to own many guitars that are pretty good, or just a few that are to me excellent?

There is to me no "right" answer. But, perhaps, several wrong ones because they are not totally honest. Or because we have yet to learn the difference between "pretty good" and true excellence -- not even when on a scale that for us is reasonable.

And as to that latter point, there is "excellent" because we are told the are. That versus "excellent" because out own fingers. eyes and ears tell us they are.

This is not a word game. To see tha just look at an item that you yourself are truly and experientially experienced with and read reviews of that. It then becomes apparent that the writers really do not understand "excellence" or lack of it with that particular thing.

Back when I used to write for Ducati -- including handling what amounted to their monthly "questions from readers" corporate responses -- it was apparent to me that was so for quite a few very enthusiastic "Ducatisti." They enthusiasm was far greater than their knowldge.

That was true also with cameras, back when among my responsibilities was instructing men and women who were on a fellowship at Harvard Med, in various aspects of imaging, including gear choice.

There are many areas where my knowledge is not based on experience.

My wife Jan and I are currently considering replacement kitchen knife sets for both our home and one of our rental cottages. When I last bought such only very fine German and French made sets were generally considered "excellent" and I simply had to trust other's judgment having had little experience with such myself. Now I know enough more to at least realize how little I know. True excellence in balance, for instance, is not a common thing. Nor is true sharpness and the knife's ability to keep it. But, OTOH, today's mid priced Chinese knives are way better than the no-pro stuff used to be. (Much like our Squier guitars) And does my kitchen skill really deserve or require better than that?

So there, too, that question lurks. A full set of 'so-so' or just a couple of truly fine knives?

I, for one, love this stuff. And the learning process such entails.

-don

Last edited:

radiotech

Squier-Axpert
Apr 23, 2014
Freedonia
So there, too, that question lurks. A full set of 'so-so' or just a couple of truly fine knives?
Four Kyrocera ceramic knives (3” paring, 5” vegetable, 5” serated 1” blade, 6” Chef’s knife), and a nice pair of Wiss (Crescent) kitchen scissors, are all a home Kitchen needs these days. The only consideration with them is you have to use a plastic, or wood cutting surface (don’t cut with them on a plate). I only use other knives when the ceramic’s are in the dishwasher. They have saved me so much time since I got them last year, because they do it all effortlessly. I originally had a couple cheapos from Aldi, but they chipped, and were not sharpener-safe. The Kyrocera’s are simply the best knives I’ve ever owned/used (including a made in Chicago Chicago cutlery set I had in the ‘80’s, before they sold out).

Oh, and a sharpener for them (can’t use on tbt serrated).

jbrowning

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2019
colorado springs
My budget doesn't allow me to purchase a guitar or amplifier that is more than $500.00 and when I do that it takes a lot of me talking myself into it. Just can't afford to spend that amount of money. Hopefully someday I will be able to though. I would say the majority of mine isn't over $300.00.
Jim

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
My budget doesn't allow me to purchase a guitar or amplifier that is more than $500.00 and when I do that it takes a lot of me talking myself into it. Just can't afford to spend that amount of money. Hopefully someday I will be able to though. I would say the majority of mine isn't over $300.00.
Jim

That could be. Or instead of "the majority of mine isn't" you could decide to just as "mine is..."

As with most things it is a matter of choice. Which gives you greater satisfaction, or, in the future, will better enable you to meet your goal(s).:

:)

-don

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Four Kyrocera ceramic knives (3” paring, 5” vegetable, 5” serated 1” blade, 6” Chef’s knife), and a nice pair of Wiss (Crescent) kitchen scissors, are all a home Kitchen needs these days.

That's a nice working setup.

I've decided to stick with my now 20+ year old, French Sabatier set, adding just one knife to it -- one I learned to love when using Jan's.

This:

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.03.45 PM.png

Truth is I use that more than all the other combined. Slicing, cutting, chopping. It is SO sharp that its weight is pretty much all it needs to cut thru most anything. And even a delicate cherry tomato is neatly cut, with not even a hint of its being crushed.

:)

-don

otma

Squier-holic
Nov 4, 2012
Owen, Wisconsin
I wouldn't buy a $1000 guitar without a significant change in finances, but I would probably have to to get one that might be better than the MIK guitar I bought used for $300 + about $150 shipping from Japan. If i needed a new guitar though, and had that kind of money to spend, I wouldn't care where it was made, or whose name was on it.

Conghaille

Squier-holic
Jul 12, 2016
Chicago adjacent
For me, the PRS S2 line is the sweet spot where I really can’t ask for more and wouldn’t spend more. Basically they are as pricey as I’d go, but I feel they are worth it. (Unlike the $500 Les Paul steps Studio->Classic->Standard) I do have a pro Strat and a pro Tele. I think the Strat was really overpriced with terrible pickups, and the Tele was just about worth the cash. The fender I play most is my CV 60th anniv Strat. That was a steal!

Latest posts