Would you pay $1000 for an import? (Other than MIJ)

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Guitar prices are going through the roof. Import guitars are now exceeding a grand.

I can't see myself paying a grand for an non-MIJ import. Not even MIK. Can't do it.

I guess the counter argument is that it doesn't really matter where it's made ... as long as it's made well. But I can't do a grand on an import. Even $850 for an MIM Fender is pushing it.

I was browsing the MF on-line catalog for electric guitars ... and the majority of the $1000-1500 segment were all imports. Smokes. When did imports get so expensive?

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Some Eastman flattop acoustics and archtops are well over $1000, and they're MIC, and are well worth every penny.

Eastman is making some great guitars. So is Shijie.

I'm just not sure I can lay out that kind of money for an import, when an MIA is slightly more.

Plus, the depreciation on a new import is heavy.

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Well, I don't think I'd pay a grand for any guitar any time soon! But if this serves as a valid argument, I could see myself buying second-hand for the average ongoing prices a guitar that costs new about a grand being MIK, specifically an LTD EC-1000 (one of the older production models, prior to the move to Indonesia). Always have wanted one and these older ones, besides having some slight visual differences and an Ebony fretboard, were really well made for the price.

surf green

Squier-holic
Jul 15, 2014
RI
Evidently some of the imports are stepping up and putting a full quality package on the market for the price. But again, the price is nearing $1000. Eart Guitars (don't own one, never played one) is getting raves. Prices for a strat copy $269, LP, tele, E335, $359-$399, up to a 7 string solid body $950.
Finishes top quality, stainless steel frets, roasted necks, are some of the upgrades. These are all over Amazon. All of the reviewers are pitching the quality and workmanship as "unheard of at the price".
I can only take so much of McKnight, but here is a example of what you're looking at.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
My new PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo is made in China and cost me $1700 delivered. I find the craftsmanship and build quality to be unparalleled, an absolutely incredible instrument in every respect. I own a bunch of very high end electric guitars and this one is in the same ball park for about half what the others cost me.
Yes, that matches my experience with the Excel series D'A I posted above.

We tend to think low budget when we think of Asian made instruments. That because such is the place they -- the Asian makers and sellers -- early on looked to fill in the market.

But the same was once so with Asian made automobiles. Early on one bought a Toyota, not for its excellence, but for its low price. Today's Lexus is at the other end of the spectrum and we now accept that because our preconceived notions have changed about Asian-made cars. (Korean cars are in the midst of this change now. China's may well be in 15 or 20 years.)

Now here on S-T it is somewhat taken for granted that buyers of these guitars are budget restrained. In fact some here are not. They just looked at the Squier line at a certain point in time and liked what they saw.

In my case my Affinities were, frankly, bought for their price. But my VM offsets were not. They were bought because of what they were as guitars and because they were exactly what I was looking for. (Their low price was a simply a sweetener.)

I think S-T will likely change very slowly, if at all, in its price-focused stratification. That because it is such that brought most of the folks here together.

Indeed, mention that you have some more expensive guitars -- post pictures of them -- and likely some reverse snobbery will show itself. (Which may be generational as well. I 'grew up' when "success" was something one worked for and aspired to. Today one gets social points by claiming "victimization" and such "success" is seen as deserving derision, and, increasingly, at least in some circles, alienation.)

'Tis what it is. And that is so, at least as far as i am concerned, for guitars as well. Whereever they were made and whatever price they sell for.

-don

Last edited:

Mojotone

Squier-Nut
Jun 5, 2021
Chateauguay, QC
Eart Telecaster is def on top of my list $469.00 CDN add Locking tuners for $95.000 CDN and you got one hell of telecaster for fraction of the cost of a Fender
Sure resale value wont be worth much, but i buy guitars to keep them so for me its really a no brainer
I really dont look where the guitar is made as long as it has the specs I'm looking for and gets some good/great reviews

Cheers
Stone

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Yes, the Asian imports are really stepping up their game and putting out some serious instruments. But at those prices, I can snag MIA and MIJ models. Makes it tough for me to pull the trigger.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I really dig this Fender FMT Telecaster, but I can't bring myself to pay a grand for an Indonesian made guitar.

I'm sure it plays great, but at that price, I may as well pay a little more for a MIA Performer.

Also, as @Paruwi mentioned, the MIJ FGN's are incredibly priced:

Heck, I may go for this guy:

For a little more than the Indonesian Fender.

Now I'm GASing. :)

Horseflesh

Squier-Meister
Sep 19, 2020
Seattle-ish
But I can't do a grand on an import. Even $850 for an MIM Fender is pushing it.

Not totally on topic but I wanted to mention when I was shopping the other day I saw MIM Fender Players for $700 -- only some styles, though.

For example:

Still feels like a lot when people post about the good old days when they were $400, but... so it goes.

mkgearhead

Dr. Squier
Dec 18, 2009
Fort Morgan, CO
I've only paid that much for one guitar. It's a 2016 Gibson Les Paul '60s Tribute HP with P90s. As far as import guitars for that kind of money, there are some Ibanez or MIJ Jacksons that I'd consider spending that much on. It would have to be a situation where I sold a bunch of guitars at once to come up with the cash.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Not totally on topic but I wanted to mention when I was shopping the other day I saw MIM Fender Players for $700 -- only some styles, though.

For example:

Still feels like a lot when people post about the good old days when they were $400, but... so it goes.

Yum, me likey !!!

Latest posts