Would you like to see P-90 or mini-humbucker Contemporary strats next year?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by 65refinyellow, Apr 7, 2021.

1. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    dbrian66, grizzlewulf and VealCutlet like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  3. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2014
    WNY
    Sure! Maybe a Telecaster Custom II with P90s, no pickguard and a roasted maple neck?!

dbrian66, grizzlewulf, drewcp and 4 others like this.
  4. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    That would be nice.

In terms of cost I think it would be lateral to what they have right now with the bridge hot rail and neck humbucker tele. They should be able to pull it off for $429. GFS makes p-90s and Squier could scale it up to a lower cost per pickup.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Alnico-Vintage-Soapbar-Black-Pickup_c_103.html

dbrian66, grizzlewulf and drewcp like this.
  5. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Meister

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    Just my personal opinion but I'm not a fan of either p90s or mini buckers in a Strat. I feel like they need a more substantial wood body like a Tele or LP style to get the best out of them.

6. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Having more wood mass would probably be ideal for these bigger sounding pickups. A double bound strat, like some old Fender teles and esquires that were built this way, could give that mass, and hard tail like the Noventa would be nice.

There's not a giant demand for bound strats but here's one by the Custom shop though I can see Squier putting the concept into mass production with a mahogany-like nato body.

https://reverb.com/item/39525906-fe...MIhvze6eHs7wIVJRvnCh3X0gm1EAQYASABEgI2rfD_BwE

dbrian66 and Benlostforyears like this.
  7. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    sure I'd like something like this...
    nst12ral-bk_3.jpg

dbrian66 and 65refinyellow like this.
  8. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    None of that would surprise me, given the growing popularity of some of the lesser-used pickups out there. Wouldn't even shock me if Squier rolled out some gold foils or something.

On a tangential note:

I was thinking the other day, if I was in charge of Squier, I would open up a parts ordering depot, kind of akin to GFS. Squiers are very popular with modders, they may as well get in on the Frankenstrat action directly. How cool would it be if you could order a body of one guitar (finished or unfinished), neck from another, whatever style pickups you wanted, etc etc etc. All Squier branded stuff without having to hunt things down second hand. I know I'd be into that. A la carte guitar building.

10. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    MINIS PLEASE!

11. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You mean you don't think this is any good? gettyimages-80111806-612x612.jpg
    I think Mr. Winwood, and a whole lot of his most iconic records prove otherwise.

Amelia and 65refinyellow like this.
  12. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Absolutely nope!

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Lots of companies have minis, and many for less money than those, like GFS and GM. Their Strat sized one on that page is 19k, so it's gonna sound like a hotrail, not like a real mini. I don't think anyone makes a mini sounding pickup in a Strat single coil size package.

15. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I know Hot Rails is its own thing. The ceramic Fender strat pickup has more mids and compression than an alnico strat pickup, but not quite as big on mids as a mini humbucker.

I wonder if the Duncan Quarter Pounder or Cool Rails sounds like a mini humbucker.

Tte demo in this video below makes it sound a lot like standard strat ceramic pickups. It's warmer and bigger than strat pickups but not as much as a full humbucker. Even though I expect no chine from the mini humbuckers there is enough single coil chime.

16. Benlostforyears

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    I think his Non-Reverse Firebird is pretty awesome and sounded great, but that's a pretty large set neck all mahogany guitar with a vibrola. My comment was my opinion of those types of pickups in tremelo equipped Strats in particular.

drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  17. Benlostforyears

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    There is the Vintage V6P though if you are into it.

upload_2021-4-8_0-37-32.png

drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  18. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    They'll be brighter perhaps in an alder or poplar bodied guitar with a bolt on maple neck, but they'll still sound great, IMO

19. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have never played a Strat, or any guitar for that matter, with mini humbuckers, so I can’t comment on that. But I like P90’s in a Strat. This is my P90 equipped Squier.

47EE64C7-633A-44F5-9443-4CC250B0BFA8.jpeg

drewcp and DougMen like this.