Working on it!

Mossberg152

Squier Talker
Jun 13, 2022
Lorain, Ohio
Hello all of you enablers. Well, I have had the opportunity to pull out two old garage sale guitars I had bought about 5 years ago trying to interest my son into playing guitar. That was a complete fail and they have been taking up room in his closet for that long.
Now that I am here with you good folks, I see how much there is for me to learn, and while I still have not found my Squier, I do have guitars to work on. One is a plain Peavey Rockmaster, and the other is an Ion Strat clone.
The Peavey made some sound, but lots of crackles through an amp. Upon suggestions, bought electronic contact cleaner from the auto parts store. That guitar is completely apart and I stripped the plasticized black finish off of it with a heat gun. I am now sanding off the epoxy grade under-finish and I plan on staining and sealing it. I sprayed the dickens out of the pots with the contact cleaner. The neck had some fret sprout so I used little files and sand paper and took care of the ends. I did several applications of mineral oil to the fret board, as it was pretty dry and quite "light" looking. Nice and dark now, and now longer dry. Haven't decided what color I want to make it yet, so I don't don't know if I want to buy a cool colored dye or just go a natural wood tone on it. Still have significant sanding to do. This epoxy-like under coat is pretty difficult to work with.

The Ion is another story. It was actually in better shape, so when I decided (at the suggestion from my wife) to start playing again, I did a cursory cleaning on it, put some new strings on it and started trying to build up some calluses. Just playing it without electricity, it isn't a bad sounding guitar. Is a a GREAT guitar? of course not, but not having played in over 30 years, it was better than I expected.
Now, I have tried to play it plugged into an amp... no luck. So, I took it back apart and sprayed the daylights out of it with the contact cleaner. It is set up Strat SSS style so I had a volume and two tone pots, and the 5 position selector switch. I squirted the juice and keep moving the parts for a few minutes each, and when I put it back together, sound was coming out of the amp.
Of course, it had other things that I now noticed needing addressed (again, thanks to all the fine folks here at SquierTalk). So I mineral oiled the fret board. I filed the ends of the frets. I am trying to figure out how to set the intonation... That is more complicated to me than the videos make it look. I haven't got that figured out yet. All the videos say if it is sharp, move the bridge to make the string longer, if it is flat, make the string shorter... On my tuner, I am not even hitting the same NOTE, so flat or sharp has no real meaning to me. If anyone has a better explanation, I would appreciate it.

Okay, so this gets us ALMOST up to date. I will start another installment for the 2 guitars I bought to "work on and learn". They were, in my opinion, cheap tuition for the skillsets I am trying to pick up and develop.

Laters. Mossberg.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
KOOL!!!! That was me 14 years ago and no relief in sight! I need Help after many Squier's and 60 plus Partscaster's!:eek::eek::eek:

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
Well, that's the correct method for intonating that you've gleaned off of the internet; making sure the guitar is in tune in both octaves. Possible deterrents to intonation can be but are not limited to the bridge, the nut and string height. How is the nut, is it cut well? Is the bridge floated (for a trem bridge)? How high or low are the strings? Is the scale 25.5", and is that the length from the edge of the nut to where the string sits on the saddle for the high E? Is the length from the nut edge to the twelfth fret 12.75"? Could you post a top down picture of your bridge, so we can get a visual of your saddle placements?

I'm digging here, and if I had your guitar in my hands I could diagnose it...but that ain't the case.

Jason

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
Some of the clip-on tuners will not read notes outside of standard tuning. I have an app that works for intonation -- I think it's the Boss Chromatic Tuner app. It's free on android.

Pano Tuner App is great for simple intonation, also free...

Yeah, I didn't even think about a simple clip-on tuner being the problem, good call @Nadnitram !

Jason

Mossberg152

Squier Talker
Jun 13, 2022
Lorain, Ohio
Yep. I'm hooked. This is not going to end well.

dpang: yep, encourager with an A+ rating! I like you already!

Hadronic Spin: I will try to get a picture and post it. I believe it is 25.5 scale, but I didn't know about the measurement to the 12th fret. I will check that next. however, The saddle placement is all on me, as I KNEW I was going to work on the intonation, and I took all of the saddles off the bridge to clean it all well, so where the are is not where they WERE.
I will try to find that app and see if it is available on Apple.

Nadnitram: I am not using a clip on tuner, I am using "FENDER TUNE" app on my phone. I will try to find the other and see if it works better.

DoctorBB: I like that catchy phrase. That will help me remember the right direction for sure.

willhowl

Squier-holic
Dec 19, 2011
Houston Texas
Mossberg152.......I had one of those Ion Strats........it was not horrible, but It was'nt great, either...it's worth a litte time, and you can learn lots...Looking at you're pictures, I see that the low e, and the a string look too short........

OK, look at youtube............Dave's world of fun stuff........He has a BUNCH of Stratocaster set-up videos, and he is a very funny guy, too.......BUT he is not for KIDS ....when he gets frustrated,.....LOOKOUT!!!

But he is good...there are lots of others, but I like him .......this stuff is not that hard, just study up, and you can work wonders..Later,willhowl

Mossberg152

Squier Talker
Jun 13, 2022
Lorain, Ohio
Thanks, willhowl, for the suggestion. I will look him up. Not too worried about him being kid friendly, my youngest is 16 and he as seen heard the stories of how un-kid-friendly I was when I was a younger man! More than a few from his mother, no less! and I am former Navy, so he even knows what a drunken sailor sounds like.

I intend to keep learning and practice working on the really inexpensive guitars. I will most likely sell that Ion once I get it set up right, so I can find another one to work on! I am limited on how many guitars my wife will let me have in the house at one time. And with the configuration of my house, I would NOT be able to hide any more guitars without her finding them. As long as it is a revolving door, she will only grumble a little. If I start collecting them, well, I WON'T be collecting them any time soon!

thanks for the encouragement.

Mossberg

Last edited:

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
Hadronic Spin, I got pictures for you. I hope this view is the view you mentioned. This is the ION I am working on first. I measured to the 12th fret and I think I got 11 7/8ths? but it is 25.5 to from the nut to the saddles-ish.

Yeah, you may be off a bit on some strings, but that's me just going off of pictures.

Here is what my Affinity Strat bridge looks like intonated ( as of today ). All of my Strat bridges are similar, as is my Jackson, my Mitchell and my Epiphone. Copy how my Strat bridge looks, and go from there. And yes, use a tuner that can go beyond standard tuning...

IMG_1177_LR.jpg

Jason

Last edited:

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
Here is what my Affinity Strat bridge looks like intonated ( as of today ).
@Mossberg152, here's what we are looking at. The vibrating length of the string starts at the last contact point on the saddle. I've marked that in pink on Jason's picture. Do you see how it looks like two little staircases? E climbs to A and D, then it drops back down G, then back up to B and e. This is only a rough guide to get you started -- the note itself will determine the actual position of the saddle.
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.55.03 AM.png

I measured to the 12th fret and I think I got 11 7/8ths?
Regardless of the scale of the guitar, the 12th fret should be at the halfway point. The measurement from the saddle to the 12th should equal the measurement from the nut to the 12th. Maybe you should try that first, just to be sure.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 12.03.09 PM.png

Latest posts