Word Game

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Lanaka, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Some time back I got a 2003 Washburn Pro X12 used for 100$US. It came dirty AF with the electronics børked. But it was a 24-fret rosewood/maple neck bolted to whats assumed to be basswood body...maybe. What caught my eye was the boxed string-thru hardtail. Tis now my only hardtail strat-type.

WashburnProX12 CC (1564²).jpg

During cleaning I've decided to retain the rather enigmatic handwritten script on the back. It makes for a fun conversation piece and speculating on what it says and what it means.

WashburnProX12 Sig (3000²).jpg

So here's the game: What do ye think it says and what ye think it means?

There's no prize except that I'll pick the best one(s) for use in future conversations with due credits given. ;)

grizzlewulf likes this.
  2. waynes world

waynes world Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    I name all my guitars after ladies so I’d guess this one is named Mae.

Lanaka likes this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup thats my initial impression, but had some people think the script is "Mal" and another think "Moe" and his friend think ""Mol."

Mal and Mol doesnt make sense, whilest Moe makes me think of the second member of the Three Stooges.

waynes world likes this.
  4. waynes world

waynes world Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    If the guitar was a firefly it could have been named Mal, get it?:)

speelyei and Lanaka like this.
  5. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Mal means bad in Spanish, it's a black guitar, so maybe it has a mean tone?

Lanaka and Eddd like this.
  6. Eddd

Eddd Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Someone forgot how write Malmsteen and aborted.

7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I had to Google that reference. LOL, I now understand that reference. Unfortunately I have not seen the Firefly tv series nor the Serenity movie.

Since I have installed the Duncan Distortion and the 4-wire version of the 59, it DOES have a surprisingly good mean snarl to its tone! I especially liked the middle position with both buckers split to outside coils to effectively create a hybrid Distortion/59 "humbucker," which has a intriguing mix of mellow snarl.

LOL, that's funny! You wouldn't believe how many times I've misspelled Malmsteen's name as Malmsteed. Gotten to the point that it's now stuck in my spellchecker as a valid spelling and occasionally still autocorrect to that. LOL

However, I have to admit that the 24-fret Washburn IS surprisingly capable of shredding fast and Furious. It came with frets that are a bit beefier than most medium-jumbo fret, but not quite as big as jumbo frets. More like tall and fairly fat frets. The neck profile don't feel quite as thin as a Wizard, but seems to be somewhere between that and a Fender Modern C. Of course, the boxed hardtail really helps keep the strings stable even during the most extreme string bends.

Next string change, I'm going to revert the flatwound 12s back to flatwound 9s or 10s. Or maybe go hybrid light and heavy. My fingers are hurting too much from all that string tension. :(

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Eddd and -r3- like this.
  8. Eddd

Eddd Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    You probably were trying to write his name while you had the flu,where “ n’s” are pronounced like”D’s. Probably quite common.

Lanaka likes this.
  9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Tis possible. LOL

On a more serious note, tis more likely that it's because "d" is right below "e" on the qwerty keyboard. This error only happens when I thumbtype on a mobile keys. On physical keys on laptops and desktops I don't make that mistake (unless Google spellchecker autocorrects to Malmsteed). *Slaps Spellchecker*

Eddd likes this.
  10. 6-Bender

6-Bender Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2021
    North Carolina
    It's "Maggie Mae" played backwards and says: "I walk along the sidewalk with Keith Richards and for some reason- I have a massive headache"? 800px-Keith_Richards_Photo_Jerzy_Bednarski.jpg

11. JamminJohnny

JamminJohnny Squier Talker

Jul 7, 2021
    SW Missouri
    It's a real weird and unique scratch that means absolutely nothing.