wondering tell me what you think, if this is the right place for this ?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by gary mitchell, May 29, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    with the way the world is going, in the future will we be able to get guitars from china and places. will epiphone guitars still be around, we are ready can't get a Fender mim new now. I hate to say all my guitars and basses except for my american made fender telecaster is made overseas or mexico. and i have to be honest right now since i have retired most american guitars are a little to much money for me. we may in the future see know more squire's made over seas. images-3.jpeg

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I think it is a legitimate question, and raises some legitimate concerns. Ones likely shared by many on this forum.

As to answers, however, all I think you can hope for at best is a fun discussion. That because in truth no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Could we have predicted what is happening right now, not only in our nation, but in most of the world?

Everything that happens is a mix of what people planned for -- itself a watered down version of what they hoped for -- and what unforeseen realities did to twist it in the wind.

Live for today while planning for unseen eventualities tomorrow.

And all the while realizing that what seems important today may well not be tomorrow.

Such is life. Whether we 'prefer' it that way or not.

-don

3. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Who knows. I don't think that we will stop seeing guitars coming from Asia, but the market might be a bit chaotic for a while.

This may be an opportunity for the plants in Mexico to increase their market presence in the States! Who else aside from Fender is building guitars there?

4. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Meister

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    I agree. There are so many things made overseas that there is no way around importing products from China. Too much revenue generated through overseas imports to do away with it. We are in a world economy now and corporations will fight to keep it that way. I believe chinese Squiers and the like are here to stay. It's more likely that strained trade relations, tariffs and increased regulations on imports will cause us to see higher prices on our beloved Squiers and may even eventually lead them to either move all production to Indonesia or once again use factories in India, Korea, Japan or somewhere else. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to MiM Squiers but I just dont think that will happen. It's more likely that production will continue as usual in China and Indonesia and the consumer will be left toting the bill for it in the form of inflated prices so companies can continue to profit despite governments imposing higher taxes and fees. At the risk of this post becoming political I will stop there but I do believe the days of $100-120 bullets and lp specials are gone and will not soon return.

5. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    Taylor and Martin and others I am sure.

ToneChaser77 and Best1989 like this.
  6. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

I agree with ToneChaser77 that "the winds are blowing ill" for continued importation from China, at least at current price levels. I must also wonder how much "content" in an Indonesian or Mexican build is actually of Chinese origin (pots, pickups, switches, tuners and assorted metal bits), and how far the "ripple effect" of discord with China trade will extend into other countries where China is the ultimate source of parts or materials for production. I am typically not big on buying new, but current circumstances make me think that if I see something I like and it is made in China, I better get it while I can. Don't want to "panic buy", but it has me watching prices closely and thinking that once current stock dries up there may not be more behind it.

gary mitchell and ToneChaser77 like this.
  7. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Epiphones have been made in Asia for years. I think they're currently coming from Indonesia but haven't checked, like a lot of Squiers. They make some very nice, good quality guitars and much cheaper than the imports from the other direction. Remember, we don't all live in the US. :D

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Where do you get your information Gary? We can easily get new Fender Mexico products, and just because the USA might put tariffs on China, they're not going to stop making guitars and exporting them elsewhere.....

Where would Squiers be made if not overseas?

Taurus, Paruwi and beagle like this.
  9. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I truly don't mean this in any political sense so I hope it isn't taken that way. As I see it, we're ultimately talking about slowing and then eventually reversing the process of "off shoring" manufacturing that began some 30 years ago. That won't happen overnight. When a lawn chair that cost $50 dropped to $45, no one complained. When it dropped to $40, no one complained. When it hit $15 "we" (collectively) started to get worried but at the same time "we" (collectively) had grown so used to paying $15 that we probably wouldn't be willing or able to pay $50. Fixing that won't be fast or easy.

10. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Offshoring, as you call it, started closer to 60 years ago. As the major manufacturing went east, the support industries went with them together with the required skills, so onshoring manufacturing again in most western countries would be a monumental and very expensive task.

Shine, Taurus, ToneChaser77 and 2 others like this.
  11. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    i was trying to get info here, i was just wondering

12. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    From the shoes and socks on her feet to our bed sheets and couches, plates and silverware we eat off of . I think guitars is small potatoes compared to everything else in this country, in fact I can name hundreds of things when I open my eyes and look around the house and maybe only a couple things that were made in the USA

13. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I'm proud to own a Wok made in China.

-r3- likes this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If the greedy people than control everything were willing to share the wealth with working people like they did when we were kids in the 50s and 60s then we could afford to buy American made products instead of Chinese.

gary mitchell likes this.
  15. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    That never happened either. Wage requirements and other costs in the western world priced the workers out of jobs. The east just took up the slack, at our request, to meet our needs.

MI redneck and drewcp like this.
  16. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Except the stuff you made!

corn and SoundDesign like this.
  17. Count

Count Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Australia
    Look at the history of international manufacturing and it has been the case, at least since WW2, that manufacturers look for low labour and other costs and shift their manufacturing accordingly. Mass production means you need a big market, big markets mean you have to keep your selling price as low as you can.

18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Like the weather---all we can do is talk about it..

19. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Keep an eye on used prices. I think they've tipped upwards just a click. Could be an opportunity to off a few guitars.

gary mitchell, Shine and ToneChaser77 like this.
  20. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Sorry to disagree, and maybe it wasn't like that in the UK. But, when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, people in the US in my parents generation could afford to buy a house, and a new car, take the kids on a vacation every year, and send their kids to college, even if they were only working class folks without a college education. That was also true of my grandparents generation. That didn't change until the 80s, when the greedy corporations were no longer willing to pay wages that kept up with inflation, and even with that, the profits weren't enough for them, so they had to outsource the jobs to the slave wage countries, so they could have bigger and bigger salaries and stock options for those at the top, while paying the workers, even those left on US shores, and with college degrees, peanuts. And so it remains.