Wishing I didn’t change strings

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by RoyalWe, Apr 27, 2020.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    TLDR: I miss my chromes.
    I changed the strings on my CV duo sonic today, as the D’Addario chromes on it had been there since FEB 2019. I replaced them with Rotosound top tapes, as I recently tried Roto’s swing 77 bass flatwounds and really like them. Sadly, this doesn’t carry over to the Top Tapes. While they’re much more lively than the old, dead chromes, they feel rough and cheap, high tension resulting in high action and little ability to bend, and the intonation is now wayyyyy off. Being a 3 barrel, there’s not much I can do about it, but I can’t do any sort of octaves past the 7-8th fret without cringing. I don’t get how two string sets of near identical gauge and construction can have a guitar react so differently. I really regret spending $11 on these. I’m going to give them a few weeks, in case they’re one of those cases where they just really need to settle in first, but they sure don’t make me want to pick up my DS anymore.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    All you have to do is tighten the truss rod to get back to normal relief, which will fix the high action and most of the intonation issues.....

RoyalWe and drewcp like this.
  3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    But the amount of relief doesn’t look like it changed, at least not much? I’ll try it, I just really hate to adjust this one, it’s been solid as a rock all these years. But, I’d love to be wrong. In any case, I don’t see these strings staying on for a year + like the chromes did.

4. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    String material can have different feel and tension

5ofeight, RoyalWe and brodg68 like this.
  5. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    That's how it is when trying different brands and such with strings you don't know till you try them. I put a set of Pyramid gold Nickel Flat wounds on my jazz box to see if they had much of a different sound than the Daddario chromes, and they do. It took about 2 days to really get them sounding good but after 2 months all of the special sound I was getting is now gone and they don't sound any better than the Daddario did at 6 months. Try something and see how it works that's the way it goes.

RoyalWe likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    It HAS to have changed - the action height can't go up unless it does....just physics....

7. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    As blues said up there ^... dont change the strings you are happy with, Its one of the biggest mistakes we make imho

brodg68 likes this.
  8. Guitar Cat

Guitar Cat Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2018
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    Sounds like "if it ain't broke don't fix it" syndrome . . . but I know what you mean bro.
    If you have the "futtzing" bug it's hard to resist messing around with your strings.
    I found out, after futtzing around with constantly changing strings, that Musicians Friend brand is now my string of choice. I know they're cheap, but, darn it, they really decent!

I hope you get things ironed out.

RoyalWe likes this.
  9. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    I use Labella strings flats and rounds too, on all my basses, tried a lot others before, time ago a friend says good things from fender flats and tried a set in my jazz bass.......horrible changed tension and feel very hard strings my hands hurts after playing, adjusted the bass for the new strings, no change, used the strings that day and changed for the old set.
    DR nickel are very good and low tension strings you can try.

10. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I hear that, I’ve got different flatwounds on all 4 of my Basses: chromes, Fender 9050, rotosound 77, and D’Addario half rounds. They’re all different, but that’s why I like them. I was really pleased with the cell of the roto 77’s, and hoped their guitar flats would be much the same. Not so. LaBella’s are a little steep for my wallet, so sadly I’ve never tried them, or TI’s which I also hear nothing but good about. I love DR pure blues on my tele, they’re one of my favorite roundwound guitar string, but I prefer the duo sonic with flats. Probably gonna leave these Rotos on for a while, since we’re on lockdown anyway, might as well get my money’s worth for a few weeks/months.

11. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Labella flats last forever , cost a little more but are eternal.

12. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU

Maybe just adjust the truss rod, pull it back a tiny bit, maybe a quarter of a turn, just a little, just be careful so it doesn't snap.

Otherwise just go back and use your regular strings.

RoyalWe likes this.
  13. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I adjusted the truss rod and it helped the action and intonation, but the string tension is still just awful. Switching back to chromes soon.

14. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU

Ok, yeah, seems like the best thing to do.