Win a Squier, Go Ad Free, Squier Talk Supporting Membership Fundraiser Giveaway

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by admin1, Oct 9, 2020.

1. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Ask for money, have a contest, go ad free... all good.

badges=bad(ges)

Next it’ll be for pay only classifieds... only a certain level of subscription gets you in that club.

It’s partly why I left TDPRI, and Strat-Talk.

2. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Today I was mulling over this and was thinking the EXACT same thing.

Right now the benefits are ad removal and the prestige of having a badge.

Was actually thinking I wouldn't be surprised if classifie went to 'subscribers only'.

We will see.

As for the reason that the site costs money and that's why the subs system has come in... how long has the site been around? Has it been running at a loss this entire time? That's what the ads are FOR - to pay for the site costs and maybe even turn a little profit.

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I never saw any ads because of how I have long had my browsers set up.

I find the badge as it is now displayed distracting.

Nonetheless I am glad to have earned one. This simply because I value Squire-Talk's place in my life.

Fear of what can happen -- 'this will lead to that' -- is a common, and somewhat necessary, thought pattern. Remnant of a basic survival instinct I expect. But today it has for many become like a subsidized cottage industry. "Trust no one." "If it can get worse it will." "They are out to get us."

"They" indeed may be. But the folks who run Squier-Talk?

I personally face this potential as I do the mean streets. As I can, I stay out'a the bad parts. And I pack.

(Been daily practicing double taps of late.)

I suppose I could someday choose to leave. But if so it'll by proven necessity, not having been driven off by "but it might/they might..." fears.

We each get to choose and that is how it should be.

Sitting here maskless.

-don

4. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    Online ad revenues are tanking in many contexts. Turns out very, very, very few people actually click on them. Ad blockers in browsers are also becoming more of a norm. Much larger traffic sites have had to go to some sort of partial or total paywall or subscription for extra benefits in order to survive. My suspicion is this place did indeed run at a loss for a while, and compensated the people who worked on it either very little or not at all, but I do not know that for a fact.

5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I'm still on both, but I get where you are coming from.

Not sure what the downside to badges are. Not sure what the upside is, either, honestly. Maybe the software isn't very flexible on that? I don't know. I paid for the contest entries and my desire to support the site. If the badge could be disabled, sure, I'd do it.

I can see it both ways on the classifieds. The dogpile of crooks on "anyone who can generate a burned email account can try" sites I've been around is problematic, but I also get why many would dislike that barrier to entry.

6. admin1

admin1 Administrator Staff Member

Jul 7, 2017
    RoyalWe and Luvs2yoko like this.
  7. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub Squier Talker

Feb 16, 2019
    Minnesota
    What I love most about TDPRI is the fn knowledge you guys have about guitars in general. Yeah, you guys are tele nuts, but generally one can ask any guitar question and you guys r all over it. I have learned more about guitars on this site than anywhere else put together.
    The very first guy popped off on my very first post, which took me by surprise, but then quickly apologized. Everyone has been respectful and consistently helpful ever since. And I also like the fact that members offer their help even if it’s not a tele, and even if it’s not a squire. Did I say that already? Priceless.

Angry Possum likes this.
  8. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    I'm in. Not sure if I have my badge yet.

ETA: I do! Neat.

EATA: I was already ad-free because of ad-blockers. But I get value out of this place and my mama didn't raise a freeloader.

9. Viking

Viking Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
    Freeloader? Well I was going to pay into this but after reading that I think I'll pass. It's remarks like this that will put people off.

radiotech and drewcp like this.
  10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Ya lost me on that one..

11. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I tried to warn you. When this place is strat-talk light, you paid for it to be made that way.

Angry Possum and radiotech like this.
  12. strat81

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Sorry man, didn't mean any offense by it.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  13. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    You know, there are a number of people that don't understand the dynamics of running a message board. Even after you're paid your click-through coin, it still costs duckets to run a site like this. At the volume of traffic this site must generate, you need a good Web Host to handle it. That doesn't come free.

I belong to a Ford Trucks forum where there are three different levels of support besides free use. There is no "Us versus Them" on that site, never has been. I don't think it will be that way here. Gonna do some level of support, just so this site doesn't go lights-out like another one that I was an Admin on. I want to see Squier-Talk hang around for a long time. too many good people sharing a ton of information concerning our maligned Squiers.

14. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Well, over on Strat-Talk, 7,000 posts earned supporter status. It's just been taken away from all of us. Pay up or get ads. I guess it's their way of saying "thank you for your continued support over many years"...

Paruwi and drewcp like this.
  15. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I am also a member of Gretsch-Talk, Epiphone-Talk, TDPRI, Strat-Talk, JazzGuitar.be and others.

I spend 99.99% of my time here on Squire-Talk because of the members, the camaraderie and the willingness to help others.

This is a great place to hang out with friends, learn something new or pass along something you might know to someone in need.

I like it here on this forum because no matter what kind of day, week, month or year you’ve had you can strike up a conversation with anyone or create a thread about gear or life in general and forget, even for just a moment in time about your daily battles.

I personally wanted to contribute to support this forum moving forward because of the reasons mentioned above and I pray it continues to be a great place, but that is up to each and every individual member to make sure it stays this way, if things change as some have suggested they have witnessed elsewhere then we will also have to adjust where we hang out and who we support when that time comes.

I know Life is all about choices and I try to always make the best choice for my Family and me when given the opportunity to do so.

I give my support because of the membership and everyone here, I have reached out for help and advice several times when I was not sure what to do or how to do it, I have posted personal things and life events that changed my life and appreciate everyone’s knowledge and patience.

Thank you

Michael

Luvs2yoko, strat81, Best1989 and 2 others like this.
  16. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Ditto that, a great post Michael. Applauds

17. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'm in. Funny, I don't feel any different....;)

18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    OH but the gold goes good with your eyes...:D

Davis Sharp and strat81 like this.
  19. strat81

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Why not use an ad blocker?

I had no idea Squier Talk had ads until the supporter program mentioned it.

Davis Sharp and Angry Possum like this.
  20. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I've used ad blockers since the 1990s. You completely missed the point of the post. All the people that have had that status, free, for many years just had it taken away, without any warning.

radiotech and Angry Possum like this.