Win a Squier, Go Ad Free, Squier Talk Supporting Membership Fundraiser Giveaway

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by admin1, Oct 9, 2020.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I'll just be honest; I've never belonged to another forum, and I have NO desire to... I've seen other forums and they treat each other HORRIBLY, so imagine if I were to TRY to join with my "scrubby" Squiers...

I've learned a TON in the couple years that I've been here, and yeah, that's definitely worth a contribution... And I have NO idea HOW many people that I've sent this way, either on purpose, or by bragging how amazing and unique this place is, but I'm sure there have been a few...

But what surprises me is HOW MANY of you guys signed up and paid... I've already seen A LOT of people who've spent a HUNDRED DOLLARS to support this place, and I thought (incorrectly, I guess) that MOST of us COULDN'T swing an extra hundred bucks just outta the blue for ANYTHING... I guess because Squiers are so inexpensive, I thought that most Squier enthusiasts wouldn't have that kinda scratch just layin around... I KNOW that I don't...

I'll be lucky to get together enough for the bottom tier... I'd love to support the forum... And I'd LOVE to win that Tele because I'm currently obsessed with WRHBs, but I've never played a guitar "expensive" enough to have 'em, and with one entry? Let's just say I have a "realistic" attitude about it...

2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    For what it's worth; I think the REASON that SquierTalk is so amazing is BECAUSE of our "lowly" Squiers... If we can see the POTENTIAL in an old, busted, misused, mistreated, Squier, then maybe we can see the good in old, busted, misused, mistreated PEOPLE...

3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    ^^ I'm also a member of Cowboyszone . It's a forum for the Dallas Cowboys. It doesn't matter what you say, you're gonna get attacked there. It's too funny.

I can write, "Dak had a good game today" ... and the attacks would start.

I wonder if they're really Cowboys fans on that forum. But in between the insults, there's good information to be had. I just need to wade through all the nonsense.

4. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

I gotta say that being a Cowboys fan is reason enough to get attacked. <grin>

5. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    It's been a long 25 years. I was a young man back then. Jerry Jones has run the ship to the ground with no relief in site. Just the same old (and getting older) Jerry Jones thinking he's a football maverick. He makes an old Al Davis look tame.

I haven't watched any football this year. My life has been better. :)

6. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    I’ll be honest - I did it for the drawing. That’s it. This is not the place it was when I joined in 2013. I’m not saying that’s for better or worse (no scratch that - I am, and it was better before), but things change- natural progression. Back then I’d have been happy to contribute. Now, if it weren’t for the drawing, truthfully I’d have left it alone.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

It was better when you joined in 2013 or better now ? If I contribute it also be for the tele raffle and I will be requesting no banner under my name.

8. miket1117

miket1117 Squier Talker

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    I'm a late comer to this forum, don't belong to others, dont care too much for politics or speculation.
    What i DO care about is, for me, how great this forum has been. I'm not an everyday reader, let alone contributor, but I AM an AVID fan. From day one, I felt at home here. And the enthusiasm for Squiers, mods, etc., etc. is fun and engaging. Some of you guys crack me up... if not for your comments then for your incredibly obsessive fascination with strap locks.. :).
    Keep the badge, give me a way to contribute $50 that doesn't involve PAY PAL, and I'm in.

Pay Pal??? really? come on...

Angry Possum, mb doug, Eddie and 3 others like this.
  9. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    It was better before, in my opinion.

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I agree that the fact that members appreciate a guitar that is just that - a guitar, not a status symbol -- is part of the reason this forum is so pleasant as well as so informative. Such serves to filter out a certain type of joy killer. -The person whose self image is predicated on getting the supposed "better" over others. "I win, you lose." -The same type of egoism that tends to kill one's experience when playing in a band.

Frankly I think that we having so many that play in worship bands ties right in with this.

But bottom line is that any group will devolve into what its members are - especially the more active and highly respected among the fold. Here, when I came aboard, there were people like Bear (now sorely missed!) and (thankfully still!) Papa Joe setting the tone. -One of friendliness and real experience-based understanding, not egotistical blather or banter.

To the degree their spirit is duplicated is the degree that today's and tomorrow's S-T will be what so many of us found unique and attractive. To the extent that spirit is replaced by that of competitive, but in reality 'have done nothings', we will see S-T become that which drive us away from so many other ego driven forums.

In the end it will be what we are. And what we encourage and see and set as the norm.

-don

11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Got 10 postcards and 10 stamps?

No donation/purchase necessary. Alternate Entry Method: You may also enter by sending a postcard (ONLY postcards will be accepted) to: 2020 Squier-Talk Giveaway, 150 Veterans Memorial Hwy. # 482, Commack, NY 11725. NOTE: A maximum of 10 postcard entries per person will be valid. Postcard entries may be combined with purchased entries. Mailed postcard entries must arrive before 5:00 pm Eastern (US) October 22, 2020 and must include the following: The date of mailing, your squier-talk.com registered username, your email address. your full name, your shipping address and your phone number on the back of the postcard so that we may notify you if you are the winner. Any postcard received that does not include EACH of the items listed above will be discarded. Illegible postcards or those rendered unreadable due to damage entries will be discarded. Individual Entry odds of winning are not improved by making a donation.

12. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Re: the potential for divisiveness

People judge each other, consciously or unconsciously. It's what we do. Maybe it's a evolutionary mechanism to determine whether someone is friend of foe, or whether someone belongs to our tribe - I don't know. So we might reach a conclusion by the color of a badge or the absence of one. But the reality is that very few of us know each other IRL. So judging someone by that element alone is extremely narrow and unfair. Maybe people donating $100 have a lot of cash to spare. Maybe they managed to save that by not going to movies for the last 8 months. Maybe they want to make sacrifices because they think the forum is important. None of us really know. So let's try to be conscious of our judgements - here and IRL.

13. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I do that every year on the sister sites.

14. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

A couple of things (and this is in NO WAY personal).

1) I can't speak for anyone else, but for me this site is 'IRL'. When I am here I am me, living a part of my life. This isn't some 'fake' life I live when posting on the site. Perhaps 'in person' was more in line with what you meant.

2) I also want to 'contribute'. I do not consider it a 'subscription', as the only subscriber benefit seems to be the adding of a badge and the removal of ads, neither of which was a problem to begin with. But for me, I have a 'guitar budget', and that budget this month is going on buying a set of pickups for a guitar I spent my last 2 months budget on. My next few months budget will be going on getting mods done on a few guitars once my tech is allowed open for business once again. Sadly, my contribution to the site will be a while away - and looong after the competition has ended.

But yes, judgement is ever present, and increasingly so in a world where so much of what happens online does so consequence free, and when people do try to call someone up for bad behavior online they are labelled as an 'SJW' (as though the pursuit of justice is somehow a bad thing) and made a pariah. Luckily the world is starting to catch up and the equilibrium restored.

15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I'm in. People work on this place, and I'm happy to help support it financially. And hey - entering for a prize is a fun twist. Others will choose not to, or maybe cannot, and they don't owe me or anyone else an explanation or justification. I like this place.

16. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    It’s been swell guys...

I’ve said a few times over the years... if this happened I’d be done...

and so I am.

You are a great bunch of guys.

17. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    You'll be missed.

18. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    That’s too bad.

19. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    That's too bad. What's the reason? I mean, any board costs money to run, and payment is voluntary. What would you prefer?

20. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

It might not implode - please stay until it changes ? I'm curious to see if we can overcome !

-r3-, Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.