Win a Squier, Go Ad Free, Squier Talk Supporting Membership Fundraiser Giveaway

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by admin1, Oct 9, 2020.

1. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I never knew there were any.

SquierTap, dbrian66, beagle and 2 others like this.
  2. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Maybe you should change your handle to "Mr observant"?...hahaha

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I don't see ads either..Firefox has them blocked I guess..

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I looked again, thoroughly. Nahhh ... none.

dbrian66, beagle and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

The money they got from the signups in a single day would have covered the cost of shipping one guitar, anywhere in the world, 5 times over.

And that's without even mentioning the fact the advertising revenue hasn't changed since the 'membership' scheme was hatched, and may not change, even when the contracts for said advertisers expire.

Heck, personally, I don't even know who owns this site. Individual? Company?

6. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Like @Ace38 I was a member of FDP for many years, I'm very aware of what "subscribing members" can bring to a forum and the negative effects on other members.

As for online advertisements, the hosts file and adblockers have taken care of them since the last century. I wouldn't go online without them, neither should anybody else.

Kenneth Mountain, Ace38 and dbrian66 like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Early on some posted concerns about this new arrangement of support causing divisions here. I thought that unlikely, but perhaps, just perhaps, they were right and I was wrong.

Be sad if that is so. And if it pans out I do not think the putting forth this arrangement will have been the reason. What is is a to me rather persnickety attitude that has either reared itself, or was lurking and hidden to me.

Now, if a member had invested a lot of time and energy (and some here certainly have) in building up this site/forum and they were suddenly excluded because new terms of support made that necessary for them -- then, yes, I'd understand there being some bitterness.

But such is not the case. The owner(s) developer(s) of this site have simply thought of a new way to monetize it with NO requirements being put upon the members.

I guess we each view things our own way -- nothing new there -- but I've always assumed that the owners/developers of sites like this did so for the same reason I (and most of us) went to work every day. To make their way in the world while providing a useful product/service.

For myself I am thankful for such people. For in truth everything material we enjoy has come from such. Capable, imaginative, creators making a product to sell on the marketplace.

The contest may well appeal to some. (Hey, if I was to be the winner I'd think that rather cool!), but I doubt if many here are buying in for that reason.

No, Papa Joe I think hit that 'reason' nail squarely in his early posting. To wit:

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.55.19 AM.png

And I'm with him there 100%.

No ads is a plus -- but I've generally never seen them anyhow because I use an ad blocker on my browsers. So Papa's words rang particularly so for me. "We've been using it for fee for a long time..TOOOOO long.."

Guilty. And thus I chose to make a contribution. A monetary "thank you" to those who made this great forum available for me; for us.

Don't do so if you'd prefer not to. But why the complaints?

I suppose it is simply a different way of viewing life and its many gifts.

-don

8. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

9. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I feel the same way! But at least I already know I am cheap. LOL! I love this forum, but I really don’t need another subscription in my life.

10. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    And I was a BIG part of that board, going back to the free esites boards days. I was there when they did the FDP LE Strat with or w/o matching headstock in what we called "Chris up yours Greene" (he was the owner of the site). I was there when Morgan Ringgold, Bill Turner and even Bill Schultz from Fender joined up. I was a member of the Black Hole Gang, yet I was thrown out on my butt not because I didn't think the site was worth contributing to, but because I thought the boards should remain open to all so they'd continue to grow. Let folks choose to contribute, thank them but either make it all pay or all open. If you knew JJ Dillon, Doc, Mrs. Doc, Chrissy Sistrum, the late Rick S. or even EA6B, I'm STILL friends with them over on Facebook, amongst others whos tags escape me now.

And yet, a couple posts in this very thread show me the attitude is already creeping in.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  11. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I get that vibe as well. It always starts small but watch it grow. This site is the reason, by my choice, that I now own 50+ guitars, It is the reason I spent a LOT of money building my studio, stocking it with gear to produce music, videos, for entertainment and education.
    I say this just to give perspective to my situation on this site.
    We shall see how it develops over time, though history does have a way of repeating itself.

OBTW, I have never liked or owned a Thinline Tele.

12. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    yes, it often does.

Not because of any mystical power, but because people rarely learn from it.

It's like the old saw about Generals "always being ready to fight the last war."

History thus gets to be a trap instead of an opportunity.

Sad, but often so.

I'd prefer to remain positive in outlook here, but only time will tell whether we somehow insist of staying in the old paradigm.

Me? I'd prefer respect and openness. But guarantees? Alas there are none.

-don

Luvs2yoko, MrYeats and dbrian66 like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Aye, you choose not to bother with "Moe's Tavern" either I take it? ;)

I'll just carry on as usual here and see how things pan out.

14. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic Double Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Jeeze, all I wanted to do was win the Tele, and support the site.

EDIT: And yeah, I'm not real keen on a Tele with the WRHBs, but it's great trade bait!

15. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I've been on TDPRI since 2006. Over there, I've never seen a hint of them vs. us over membership levels. I'd expect the same from this congenial bunch.

16. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I've been there since 2010 too, but the new management, by definition, hasn't.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  17. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

This echos my sentiments.

18. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I'm really surprised by this thread's negativity that's based on other sites which have cultures different from this one, or based on things that could happen. I never expected this, here.
    This contribution and membership model works fine on the sister sites. Why would it work badly on Squier Talk?

19. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I really have no experience with any other forums. I was at Gibson’s and Agiles forums for a little bit before settling here, but not long enough to experience anything like this. My personal feeling is that this forum will be ok. For the most part we are a bunch of level headed people that get along. This “change” has stirred things up a bit, but change always does. We naturally don’t like it. But the dust will settle and my guess is things will go back to normal.

20. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Yes. My belief, too