Win a Squier, Go Ad Free, Squier Talk Supporting Membership Fundraiser Giveaway

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by admin1, Oct 9, 2020.

1. admin1

admin1 Administrator Staff Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Admin Post
    We have added Supporting Memberships and are holding a fundraiser giveaway using these supporting memberships.

Show that you support Squier-Talk.com and enjoy an advertising free experience at once! When you upgrade, you'll have a badge under your username that shows you support the site. You will see no ads and no side bar and your contribution will go directly to support the operation of Squier-Talk.com.

Members who upgrade will be entered into a drawing to win a

SQUIER CLASSIC VIBE '70S TELECASTER® THINLINE

[​IMG]

To upgrade, which includes entry into the fundraiser giveaway, go here:

https://www.squier-talk.com/account/upgrades

A Silver membership comes with 1 entry, a Gold Membership comes with 2 entries, a Platinum Membership comes with 5 entries, and Double Platinum Membership comes with 10 entries.

For details on the fundraiser giveaway go here:

https://www.squier-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/

We now have 4 supporting memberships. Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Double Platinum.
    The main difference between the different levels is the badge under your username.
    Each upgraded membership comes with an advertising free, sidebar free experience.

Silver Membership - $20 annually
    Badge under username that says Silver Supporting Member
    No ads, No Sidebar

Gold Membership - $25 annually
    Badge under username that says Gold Supporting Member
    No ads, No Sidebar

Platinum Membership - $50 annually
    Badge under username that says Platinum Supporting Member
    No ads, No Sidebar

Double Platinum Membership - $100 annually
    Badge under username that says Double Platinum Supporting Member
    No ads, No Sidebar

There are options to purchase these memberships one time annually and there are options to have automatic renewal. These options are available year round, but to participate in our giveaway, you must upgrade by October 22nd. We will draw a winner on October 26th.

To donate and upgrade go here https://www.squier-talk.com/account/upgrades

For questions please feel free to post to this thread!

* No purchase necessary to enter drawing. Alternative entry method available. See our terms and conditions found on the fundraiser giveaway page.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    15 years ago on the old FDP, they introduced Contributing Members with special markings on their names. Then, it began to turn into "us vs. them", then into "if you want to post in such and such forum you have to be a CM" and within months many of us who had worked to help the forum get to where it was were either thrown out or left in protest. I'll have to take a couple days and consider whether or not to go down that road again.

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I'm in//C'mon people..Support this great forum...We've been using it for fee for a long time..TOOOOO long..

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I'm in, do you need my address so you can ship the guitar?...:D

strat81, Montandy, mb doug and 7 others like this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I'm not sure this is a good thing ? I'm with @Ace38

6. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
  7. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    The CM deal or my debating sticking around?

radiotech, beagle, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  8. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
  9. Kenneth Mountain

the CM deal of course ! post edited to reflect it.

10. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

On one hand I don't want to see an "us-vs-them" vibe happening on this site. On the other, I get more than enough value from my time here to justify a payment. I've certainly paid more for less at other times.

bls8226, radiotech, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  11. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Based on my experience, its great for the site owners, but will break off into the CM's vs. everyone else. VC's or maybe even the Strat forum will be locked to CM's, and maybe for new members in their first two weeks or whatever. CM's will feel more entitled to things because they're spending money to help the site, where everyone else will argue everyone's input is important to the community as a whole.

12. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That won't happen here....this site simply costs money to run, they're trying to help fund it. I am SURE if you like , you could arrange with staff/admins to donate to the site without having a badge or different color name

14. Kenneth Mountain

I believe what you say is true - on the other hand is Squier or Fender in financial trouble ?

Do our opinions and activities have value . From a market research point of view ?

Did Squier decide to release a Esquire on their own or by Us recommending / asking for one ?

Since your in IT - want does a forum approx. cost to operate ?

MrYeats, Kickstand and jbrowning like this.
  15. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Heard it before, been in this situation before. You won't have a single statement that they didn't use on the FDP before it went south. They've already had a way to donate and go ad free w/o anything special. I remember reading about it when I signed up a few years ago. There's no reason to add this on. I hope I'm wrong, I'm doubtful I'll be around to see it if I am.

16. Kenneth Mountain

stay until it becomes something else if you can

cool gouhl, Kickstand and jbrowning like this.
  17. SubSailer671

There are way too many variables to take a SWAG at cost--traffic volume, legal costs, hosting costs, etc. My best guess, and it is only a guess, is that this site costs $1-3K/mo. to operate. I'm sure much of that is offset by the advertising, but probably not all of it. My hope is that by accepting money from CMs, the staff will have some breathing room to innovate and improve. If nothing happens, I'll probably lower my donation or leave entirely. I expect more from a paid service than I do for a free one.

18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Everyone has to make a living. This is interesting though and goes down the road so heavily traveled, especially intriguing within a unique business model that relies upon free speech within specific guidelines.

Here's the road... All ST members are equal. But some are more equal than others.

When I first understood this concept I was thirteen years old. It had a big influence on me and how I understood freedom, speech, socioeconomics, politics, coercion, abundance, lack, wealth, poverty, violence and war. I never thought the USA would officially embrace the paradigm.

Unintentional consequences. If I ever have a band that's the name.

A private enterprise embracing this potential revenue stream makes sense. But it's just the first step down a long road. The fact that the business is about thoughts and ideas makes my contribution here pertinent, I believe. Good luck. Thanks for hosting the forum. I'm certain it's not easy and I appreciate it.

19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    What if ... it was all anonymous. Or do you need bragging rights ?

When I donate to a cause, it's for the cause itself. I don't need no public recognition, a private thank you is fine with me.

Montandy, SquierTap, brians and 12 others like this.
  20. SubSailer671

I would prefer not to have the badge.

Montandy, MrYeats, jefffam and 5 others like this.