Will I ever get a Gibson Explorer ???

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Apr 6, 2021.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I know how you feel about Gibs. They are nice. I just cant get used to the big bodies, and I had to get rid of my Vee too. Too akward. I do like Firebirds though.

Hadronic Spin and Eddie like this.
  2. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    The Magic 8 Ball says..........
    Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    Stay tuned for further developments.

3. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I believe I've written quite a lot about this view of mine a couple of years ago, but given it still stands true, I'll summarize it: as someone quite bellow the average age of the active users around here, it's certainly interesting to see how different steps in one's life affect our views. Specifically, regardless how much I love guitars and would enjoy to have as many as I could, the idea of having 20 to 30 seems like a huge and unreasonable burden - for my own particular case.

Currently, I own 5 guitars, three electric, my classical and my Lisbon Portuguese guitar. I know perfectly well that, wouldn't it be for the sentimental value of both of those, I could part ways with both my Squier SE and my Jackson, keeping only my PRS, and be perfectly happy with my favorite guitar, playing-wise (and I know this because, for all practical purposes, I've been in that position for some good 8 months, as the other two have been very slow WIPs). While I enjoy the sonority and tradition of the Portuguese guitar, and it's a fun weekend player, I'd also get rid of it if the need arose, keeping only an electric and my classical.

Being recently graduated, I stand on a very uncertain position in my life. I may stick around with my parents until I get admitted for the bar and enter a stable firm, or I may find some job opportunity in some other place of the country, leading me to go live by myself at any moment. I have some savings, but no income currently getting in and bigger priorities, namely my formation and having the funds to, again, start a life on my own. Having an unnecessarily large collection of instruments would be not only a big waste of such funds, but also having a huge pile of stuff I'd have to carry along, also likely not very practical in the reasonable scenario of starting out in a shared home, or just a tiny flat.

Most of you guys already have a stable life, a home big enough to accommodate your hobby that you're likely not planing to leave any time soon and a steady source of income. If having 20 or 30 Squiers makes you happy and you're not causing any prejudice to yourself by having a room dedicated to store them all, then be it. If you really want a Gibby more than anything, I'm sure you'll be able to part ways with some in order to get the funds for it. ;)

4. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Lol, I'm dying here haha
    ---

No Eddie, at this rate you will not. You need to change your ways to reach this particular goal. If you end up getting it, I hope it fulfills your expectations.

Eddd, Hadronic Spin and Eddie like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

You don't want an Explorer enough to get one.

I hope that changes. :)

6. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    A bolt-on Gibby with a Kahler trem just might be a great cheap ticket into the Explorer territory. From a Strat/Superstrat enthusiast, neither of those features is undesirable, but I see why your typical Gibson collector wouldn't look at that - great for us, players, that those stay under attainable prices, then!

Hadronic Spin, Eddie and drewcp like this.
  7. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    This needs a yes/no poll lol. As much as I want you to get that explorer, I’d have to vote no. At least, not at this rate.
    Weren’t you after a white Gibson LP for a while before, too?

8. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Pick out 12 of your guitars. Sell them. Buy an explorer!

Damn it!

9. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I'd still love a white LPC. But my FGN has it covered. It's everything a Gibson is ... and maybe more. No more longing for a Gibson LPC. :)

BUT ... there's no other alternative for a Gibson Explorer.

ha ha. I'll start with 4 NC's. I can clear out about $400. Then we'll see.

The key is ... NOT to buy anymore guitars. But that's like telling a junkie .... you know ...

Hadronic Spin, RoyalWe and MrYeats like this.
  10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    The required number is 12! Prove that you mean what you say, then you can say what you mean.

11. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    When you do get your Explorer, and I really hope that you do, you may find that it's not the be-all-end-all guitar that you thought it would be. But keep it in your headlights!

Hadronic Spin, Best1989 and Eddd like this.
  12. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Yeah, that's why I hope he enjoys it if he gets it. All the efforts, "hype", and anticipation might play against the poor guitar.

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  13. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    just asking, have you gone to Orlando in the summer before?

it’s brutal for us NYC kids-

Viking, Hadronic Spin and Eddie like this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I agree. Plus, imagine wearing a face mask too? but it's the only time we have. Maybe Christmas break. Plus, I promised my oldest girl that we'd go for her 16th birthday for the past 8 years. Time to pony up.

Ace38 and Matt Shevell like this.
  15. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    We went to Disneyland in February 2017, the weather’s perfect then

I’m sure you'll have a good time, you’re a good dad

Eddie likes this.
  16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    ... not to buy more guitars?

CVSteve and Eddie like this.
  17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I grew up in Florida. It was brutal for me whenever we went anywhere in Central Florida that was not air-conditioned.

Eddie and Matt Shevell like this.
  18. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    One day you'll get that Explorer Eddie. If you believe in the Law of Attraction, hence The Secret, then you'll get one, im almost positive.

Eddie likes this.
  19. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY