Will I ever get a Gibson Explorer ???

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My New Year's Resolution was to cut back on small purchases and try to save up for a Gibson Explorer.

Well, here's how far I've come to getting one since January 1:

2 black Squier NC Strats - $200
    1 Martin MIM acoustic - $400
    1 Firefly LP - $200
    1 Aria acoustic - $100

This doesn't include any that I purchased and sold.

So the way I figure, I would have been $900 towards my Explorer already ...

2. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Meister

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Dude, everytime I see one listed on GC or Reverb I think "there's one for Eddie!" And then I wonder if I will see it on a NGD post from you.

3. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

My blue FFLP arrived on Friday. I haven't had a chance to put up a NGD post. I wanna play it some more to get a better feel. But so far so good ... hard to complain about a $200 guitar. I'll post soon. :)

But if you see any good deals, send them my way. :)

4. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Meister

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Will do.

Eddie and Hadronic Spin like this.
  5. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Stop buying guitars, sell some, save up.....you'll have your explorer before you know it.

Eddd, hrstrat57, drewcp and 8 others like this.
  6. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    "Will I ever get a Gibson Explorer ???" -- @Eddie

No... :(

In simple terms; the Explorer is your Macguffin. o_O

However, keep chasing that dream! ;) And keep having fun with the chase. :cool:

Regards

J

drewcp, archetype, shingh2002 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    You know it's funny, life that is. For about 20 years I owned two guitars ...a Guild D-55 that had been used by a local musician who played it until the one side under his arm was worn down to the bare wood and had the bridge replaced and a USA-made Fender sunburst Strat. For money purposes I had to get rid of both of them ... and so for a short time I had no guitars. Then I got some money together and bought a used Johnson Strat, which I still have.

Now I have about 25 to 30 guitars and basses but almost all cost me less than $200 (quite a few under $100) and the most expensive was that Martin, the same one Eddie bought, for less than $400.

But truth be told I now sort of wish I went back to my old days and just had one or two (or three) truly outstanding guitars and maybe a beater I could use around the campfire ... or maybe even be the fuel for such a fire.

So I sort of agree with Ace38's advice.

8. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    The Martin is a keeper. Maybe I can flip the FFLP if I don't like it. The two NC's are projects ... we'll see.

Man, if I could only stick with one or two guitars. ha ha

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Stop the projects. Put your wife in charge of ALL the petty cash and credit cards. Get another hobby until she tells you that you have enough for the Explorer. AND STAY OFF THE GUITAR FORUMS! :)

gearobsessed, fuelish, drewcp and 5 others like this.
  10. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I think the detours are fun.

BTW the break room guitar at GC near me is a now beat up black Gibson Explorer that they were selling for less than $900. It does look like it went on a few Metallica tours. It's new but it was their break room guitar so there's dings everywhere. Call Guitar Center Gilroy. Their other break room guitar that they played to death is a GC exclusive all rosewood neck strat. I guess that GC doesn't want the workers to be dinging up everything so they reserve a couple to be sacrificed. Lol.

...My goal in 1981 was to buy a sunburst Les Paul and after dozens of different guitars through constantly changing tastes later, I finally got a 1980 Les Paul Custom refretted in wonderful jumbo frets in 1995 and I find it didn't do it for me. I sold it quickly. But in that same concept I found an ESP LTD with similar neck and jumbo frets and I still have it twenty years later.

I went through a stage where I wanted a Martin and before that I got two Gibsons
    and a rare '73 Ovation before the Martin and while the Martin was stunning I sold them all. Today if I ever get an acoustic, I look most fondly to the much more affordable Gibson parlor guitar I once had. The famous spruce top Martin D doesn't do it for me but I always told students it's the best all around steel string guitar like the fabulous D-1, but D-18 if your willing to spend.

I had a vintage tele fetish and got a few, enjoyed them, and moved on and sold them to happy buyers.

Right now these days I use two guitars but my fancy is either a Protone Squier strat or a MIM Standard strat and either with rosewood fretboard with the cheap, ceramic single coils that many hate. I love their sound though.

Not having them and checking out sites and stores is as fun as owning them. But right now I am eyeing an inexpensive Chinese desktop synth whether it be the ARP 2600 clone by Behringer or Chinese built student level Moog. Either would be around the price of a Protone strat so I go back and forth but today it's either a Protone that I saw or the Moog DFAM drum synth.

Decisions decisions!

Eddie and Hadronic Spin like this.
  11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    You just have to stay focused. I wanted a Gibson Les Paul for a long time. I had $300 saved up and a couple of weeks ago someone bought 3 of my guitars and it put me over the top to get a Tribute Series. Trust me, it feels really good to get something you’ve wanted for a while. Keep your eyes on the prize. :)

9F85EBA8-524B-4217-92C6-3278FA848E2A.jpeg

12. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Meister

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    You can do it! I've spent the last year slowly upgrading my guitars from entry level to mid-level, and honestly have to say I'm really happy I did. All my sub $300 guitars were fun and with a few mods sounded great, but as I picked up my Player Series Strat, J Mascis JM, and Alvarez AAT33 I realized what a difference a little more money makes in quality and playability. Now I'm starting to think 10 decent guitars is great, but maybe it would be better to to just have a few really nice axes like some MIA models.

Maybe try find an Explorer to play in a store so you can feel what your missing out on. Once you held it in your hands all those NC's and good bargains may not be so appealing any more.

drewcp, Taurus, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  13. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yeah, this makes most sense. I think I'm going to try to move a few Squiers. If I can move 4, then it'll be reasonable money back in my pocket as well as open up some rack space.

14. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Also, didn't you pick up two drum kits for your daughters? That's an expense, but it's good because they went to your kids.

Jim

Hadronic Spin and Eddie like this.
  15. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Just the practice kits. Drum sets will come when they show me they're committed to the practicing every day.

But the big expense is going to be a family trip to Universal in July. Oh man ...

Hadronic Spin, Paruwi and jbrowning like this.
  16. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    Sorry @Eddie - I feel you're doing it wrong..... Picknose.gif

don't buy multiple 'cheap' guitars if you want that one 'expensive' guitar

17. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Squier-Meister

Nov 30, 2017
    TBD
    Not with that attitude you won't! Explorers are bold guitars used to assert aggressive, take charge mentalities. Oh, and a softer U2 song every now and then as well on a rainy day.

Sounds like you need an offset guitar for some Smiths covers ;) :D :eek: :p

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  18. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    You could get 4 Epiphone ones for that price!

Caddy, Hadronic Spin and Eddie like this.
  19. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Squier-Meister

Nov 30, 2017
    TBD
    "Will I ever get a Gibson Explorer ???" - Morrissey live in '88

"I've got a f*ing Gibson Explorer !!!!" - James Hetfield live in '88

Hadronic Spin and Eddie like this.
  20. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I've had a few Epi Explorers ... Karina and Goth, and neither stuck. Gonna go for the big cannons now. :)

Hadronic Spin, drewcp and MrYeats like this.