Wide Range Humbuckers vs Atomic Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Sonarman, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sonarman

Sonarman Squier-Meister

Jun 6, 2020
    New England
    Marketing? Actual difference? I’m leaning towards a Classic Vibe Telecaster Deluxe, but if I can get the same electronics out of a Tornado I’ll just get the latter. And let’s be honest, buy the Deluxe anyways. But, are they actually different pickups? Has anyone come across any measurements of the two?

Taurus and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I don’t have any hands on experience with the Squier Atomic humbuckers, I have a Toronado with the original Fender Atomic’s though and they are much hotter than any WRH I’ve come across. I believe the bridge humbucker is around 16k on my Fender Toronado, pretty high output for passives.

Kenneth Mountain and Sonarman like this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Atomics are regular sized pups, Wide ranges are larger, and have a four screw mount, to level them better.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  4. Sonarman

Sonarman Squier-Meister

Jun 6, 2020
    New England
    That’s what I’m finding on the web for the Atomic (16k). That’s too hot for me. I’m thinking I’ll spend the extra $50 or so and get the deluxe.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The WHRB is not at all hot. Output is similar to a single coil.

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Squier-Meister

Aug 18, 2020
    Rhode Island
    WRHB is a hot topic on sister site TDPRI

It's a interesting read...maybe dozens of thread.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Meister

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    I can't speak to the new ones on the CV but I have a VM Tele Deluxe with the "Fender" stamp on the covers. They are basically just a regular vintage output AlNiCo 5 humbucker and not as hot as the Atomics. Not a real wide range CuNiFe...but those are $200 a set. Here is a pic from another thread from 2018.

upload_2021-2-25_21-58-21.png

8. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Depends on whether your referring to the original WRHBs or the re-issues which were WRHBs in name only.

Original WRHBs were large pickups with CuNiFe magnets. In most instances they were also run through 1000k pots. Insanely good. The re-issues were standard size and rather mediocre at that HBs put in the large case but bearing no similarities at all to the real thing.
    Having played my friends original 1975 Tele Deluxe, I had to have the real deal and I shelled out big big bucks. To me it was worth every penny.

9. Sonarman

Sonarman Squier-Meister

Jun 6, 2020
    New England
    Gotcha. This helps. I’m not considering the Paranormal Toronado anymore. Hearing what you have said here, not sure I’m going to pull the trigger on the CV deluxe. Might look for a cheaper tele body routed for HH and upgrade electronics.

10. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    If you don't mind spending some," Pocket-Change" checkout my Fleor Humbucker thread,

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads...at-resistor-modification.183918/#post-1039015

Contains some sound clips :)