Why the lack of respect for Squiers? I know - beating the dead horse

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 66musicmaster, Jan 14, 2021.

1. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Squier Talker

Dec 16, 2020
    Northern California
    Protone's were high quality guitars overall. Though, by spec they could have up to six pieces of body wood. Your average Protone doesn't compare favorably to your average AVRI, this is a simple fact.

2. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    My Pro Tone is two pieces of Ash, just the same as my AVRI, except the joint is harder to spot on the Pro Tone. And that is a fact.

Please, go on and tell me some more about which of my guitars that you have never owned or played is better than the other. I need a laugh.

Is my 96 American Strat with the swimming pool route and Alder body as good as my Pro Tone made of Ash with the classic Strat routes? Not even close. The Pro Tone blows it away.

RoyalWe and drewcp like this.
  3. SuiCyco4Life

SuiCyco4Life Squier-Meister

Jan 1, 2021
    Texas
    I like my Classic Vibe 70's custom Tele way more than the dozen or so MIM Strats/Tele's i have owned. I honestly think it is a superior guitar. Of the 13 or so guitars i just mentioned i only have one of them, the squier. I doubt i will ever part with it because i could never get out of it what its actually worth to those of us who know. And i doubt i could replace it for under $1,500. Nope, i will just keep mine.

4. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    People, also please remember this. On the Squier issue, one thing we can not say is, they never made one like that. Chances are, time will prove you wrong every single time that you say never in relation to Squier guitars.
    One of the really interesting go rounds here, was the discussion about solid body guitars with sealed tuners on them from the late eighties and early nineties.

BirdDog, are you the person that has the quartersawn neck with the beautiful end grain in the headstock face that used to get drooled over here? Mine has good grain, but not like that one! Mine had thicker layers to the wood.
    I got used to using photobucket, and when they went nuts, I never learned how to post images again. It was posted here, and we had a discussion here about how to collapse and seal a gas bubble under the paint on the front of the body.

Davis Sharp and Birddog144 like this.
  5. SuiCyco4Life

Jan 1, 2021
    Texas
    Wanna know what two things make the most difference out of the thousands of variables? #1. Is the person playing the guitar. #2. Is the amplifier. I know from my own experiences in life that i can make a crappy guitar sound good when its plugged in to a good amp. But there is no point plugging a $2,000 dollar guitar into a Line 6 Spider. You wont hear the things that make the guitar great. Every guitar sounds the same through those cheap amps.

Eddd likes this.
  6. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Squier Talker

Dec 16, 2020
    Northern California
    Ok....but I'm not sure how this either relates to the topic at hand or my post.

7. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Squier Talker

Dec 16, 2020
    Northern California
    Please go back and relax your ego and read my post. I never said your AVRI was better than your Protone....I said that the average AVRI was better than the average Protone.
    You've aroused my curiosity...how does the Protone "blow away" the 96 American Strat?

8. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic Double Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I have several Squiers that I picked specifically for the neck grain. I have a CV Strat in sunburst with an amazing flamed, quartersawn neck that is every bit as gorgeous as my Custom Shop Eric Johnson Strat. Yes, one has a nitro finish and one has a poly finish, but to the casual observer, the Squier appears more flashy. They are both buried deep in my under stair closet, but I'll try to dig them out sometime soon for side-by-side photos. It's not THAT easy saying which is "better", but it's a no-brainer saying which is a better value.

DSCN9046.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

66musicmaster, Viking, Shine and 3 others like this.
  9. SuiCyco4Life

Jan 1, 2021
    Texas
    It does to those who care more about what they sound like than what kind of guitar they have. ✌

Eddd, RoyalWe and drewcp like this.
  10. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
  11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Squier Talker

Dec 16, 2020
    Northern California
    The guitar is part of the tonal chain...don't you think some thought should be put into that? You'll sound rather...silent... standing in front of your amp with no guitar...

12. BobWithOneO

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    The Ash body is more resonant and looks much better. The weight is perfect, middle of the road between my basswood cheapo Squiers and my heavier(agathis?) Teles. The American is lighter and feels more like a toy because of it and some other things. The bathtub route sucks and is a symptom of the hair band frankenstrat days and should have never been a feature on an American Standard. The pickguard inevitably warps above the swimming pool(I've had 2 guards and both did the same thing), and it makes the guitar feel cheap by comparison. But I bought it when I was 18 and didn't know any better, I liked the vintage white, rosewood board and the chainsaw case. I don't like the 2 post trem system, Leo got it right the first time. I prefer the pickups on the Pro Tone. Some people love the 90s Strat pups but I prefer the pups in my CV50 and Pro Tone. The narrow tall frets on the Pro Tone play much better for me than the medium jumbos on the American. The Pro Tone has a nicer slab of Rosewood and the fit and finish is superior as well, including the fretwork. The American had a couple of high frets and caused some issues(I spent several hours going through different guitars at GC and they all had fret issues and the one I picked was the best of the lot and still had issues) while the Pro Tone is flawless.

One guitar seems like it was slammed out to meet production. The other feels like the builder did his very best work of his career and took pride in the entire process.

Oh... And the American came with the Strap lock buttons which I never used and I only play that guitar sitting down because of it. Another feature that doesn't belong on an American Standard... like the swimming pool and the block saddles.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    drewcp likes this.
  13. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I think the quality issue does muddy the waters with regards to the respect issue. As many have pointed out the tolerances or assembly of Squiers (or any other similar brands) have increased vastly over the last 30 years. Ditto things like neck shape and fretwork. This means that the feel and playing experience can be similar, if not better to more expensive makes.
    However, quality materials and more attention to detail should command a higher price tag and also come with an expectation of an extended lifespan.
    So better guitars means higher value but not necessarily higher respect.

But, look at the new release of the Epiphone Coronet or Wilshire. A lot of it is saying that "Epiphone" is an old brand. An established brand. A credible brand. An authentic brand.
    Squier doesn't have a long enough history to claim a hand in the formation of rock and roll, so their will always be folks who regard it as merely a "copy" brand.
    I think Squier has build quality at it's price point that is enviable by any major guitar brand. What it needs to do is generate it's own identity.

Here's my take on it. You know what is the most significant guitar Squier has ever produced? AFAIK Fender have never reproduced it. It takes from so many models yet is not a direct copy of anything. It has had a hand in a lot of music in a specific genre (grunge, pop/punk). There have been "copies" of it by other manufacturers. It has its own identity and absolutely oozes rock n roll noise mongering. So if you turn up with one of these, it's not lesser, or budget, or a copy. It's the real deal...

It's the 24" scale Jagmaster

Yet, Squier have stopped making it.

RoyalWe likes this.
  14. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Squier Talker

Dec 16, 2020
    Northern California
    Where to start....? Well, most of what you cited that "blows away" the USA Std is the same preferences that you said didn't matter in your original post. The "all the USA strats had high frets but I picked the one with the least offensive high frets" is just a ridiculous statement. First of all, it's incredibly unlikely and second...why would you buy any guitar that had obvious fret issues? Pickguard warping due to the swimming pool route? I have one and it's fine. Routing...block saddles...fret size...color...case type...trem system...strap locks...all personal preferences. Fit/finish are real differences, but considering the tone of your post and some of the things you list that "blows away" the USA strat makes me think I'll just leave it at this.

That strap lock issue btw, you can solve that with a screwdriver or a pair of pliers, depending on if you want to utilize them or not.

15. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    USA
    I just happened to watch this video the other day. I don't share some of his preferences - I really like vintage tuners, for example - but you can tell he's serious about guitar and very meticulous in his evaluations

16. BobWithOneO

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    Stay mad. You come to a Squier forum and all I ever see you post are troll posts for people who actually believe their Squiers are great guitars. And who rightfully believe that some of them are even better than American guitars(because they are). I was 18 years old and fooled by people like you, a cork sniffer, that I HAD to have an overpriced American guitar rather than something better... Or God forbid a G&L. I should have bought a Pro Tone instead, but disinformation corporate shills and elitist snobs drive the consumerism fads and trends.

Incredibly unlikely? It is a stone cold fact. ALL the American Standard Strats I tried out had fret issues. They were better than my garbage 1994 Bullet... Which isn't a high bar to set, but the Pro Tone I have beats the American in every measurable way.

No go crawl back under your rock and give your custom shop buddies a big sloppy kiss, and forget I exist because your content is absolute trash. Don't reply to me anymore. Thanks, dude.

drewcp and RoyalWe like this.
  17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Squier Talker

Dec 16, 2020
    Northern California
    Well...this seems kind of harsh...maybe someone needs a "Snickers Bar"?

Bob the builder likes this.
  18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Funny how a thread can quickly derail.

19. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    It was predictable. I’m surprised it took this long. Sadly, this forum does not enjoy the self-imposed decorum it once had, which was pretty magical.

20. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    It comes and goes, I wouldn't give up in us just yet...:)
    Every forum is going to have somebody who craves drama.