Why the lack of respect for Squiers? I know - beating the dead horse

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 66musicmaster, Jan 14, 2021.

1. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Mount Airy, NC
    So even now in 2020, with all the information available, Squiers still get little or no love as crappy guitars in some quarters. Does Epiphone get the same with Gibson people? And why, when Squier is mentioned, do folks go to the old thing about thin bodies and crappy electronics? I know there were thin bodies, but I don't remember which guitars had/have thin bodies (bullet strats?). And even those have their followings.

I would not begin to criticize someone's guitar because some version at some point in history, had a thinner body or plywood (laminated) body. I have seen those. I have played those - have never owned one. But did help acquire one for a nephew once. It played fine for a first guitar. My first guitar, a strat clone, was a crappy piece, virtually unplayable, back in early 1980s. That was a period where there were some crappy guitars - who makes a natural finish with 15 chunks of wood in it? Who wants to glue all that into a piece large enough to carve a guitar out of. It was like a HondoII or Aria or something. It was awful.

I do still have my first year Peavey Decade though. Thing is as tough as an anvil. Sounds about as good? Haven't played it in years not sure where it is, but it's in the house somewhere. Should dig it out. Back to Squiers...

I love the AL pickups in my CV60s as good as any I have - I have a set of TexMex, a set of the Duncan designed SC101s, some ceramics. I have not had the privilege of any higher end things, except my son's Tele which has Tom Short Windy City pickups. Those were nice for his Tele.

It just irritates me when people throw them out as junk, no matter what Squier it is. And as far as I can tell, Squier hasn't made anything completely unplayable. The Mini Squier is kinda aggravating to me. But can be made to work.

Cochise, Eddd, Hal Nico and 4 others like this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    on the plus side - if folks THINK they are not good guitars, we get to scoop them up cheaply!! ;)

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Before I knew anything about Squier guitars I assumed they were low quality. I suspect that most people who don't like Squiers also really don't know much about them.

RoyalWe, Cochise, Eddd and 6 others like this.
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I'll take my Squier's over anything. I have MIM I rarely play.

Blues256, RoyalWe, brians and 4 others like this.
  5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I've always put it down to brand/price snobbery, how could something a fraction of the price of my (insert brand name here)be any thing other than cheap rubbish..
    A Ferrari is a fast sports car but its not any faster or better than a low cost car in a real world scenario...
    Anyway, its all about choice, if people choose to ignore alternative brands then thats fine and dandy for us lot.

Eddd, Shine, Viking and 4 others like this.
  6. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Was it made in the US? No? Then it's crap.

Nothing has changed in the last 45 years...

TURlSMO, Gunny, RoyalWe and 12 others like this.
  7. mduganjr

mduganjr Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    The guys in my band are like this, it drives me nuts. They can't appreciate any Fender guitar that wasn't made in the US. And this is coming from one guy that plays a ~$200 Ibanez.

They don't like any of my Squiers unless they actually play one and then it's always "Oh that's nice for a Squier guitar..."

RoyalWe, Cochise, Eddd and 7 others like this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    A whole lot of it is brand name snobbery. nose sniffing. Part of it was started by the competition early on, when they advertised some of the early Korean Squier's as plywood, etc. What that boils down to is people not knowing that 'plywood' is not the stuff from you local lumber yard, rather void-less, 'tone woods' bonded together. I have several 'plywood' guitars, they rank often as some of my favorites, and not all are Squier's.

Here lately with the very large influx of people here, mostly related to the pandemic, there has been a correspondingly large amount of nose sniffing, even here some for the most expensive Squier's as opposed to the less expensive lines, other are continually referencing, 'Why don't you just buy (insert high priced brand name here)? The comments and denigration was rarely a part of this forum, but seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. Of course part of it is people with little they choose to occupy their time with, spending it here, continually trolling those that are happy with their Squiers. The enforced confinements has also really highlighted the differences in finances and the attitudes that are related. I see posters continually talking of dropping high hundreds to over a grand like it is going for a loaf of bread. It's been going on a lot lately. It really highlights attitudes for people like myself who ave to scrape and save to buy a guitar at the lower end price wise. Or a discussion of budget pickups with recommendations of pickups that cost well be over $100 each, certainly not what many of us would consider 'budget' or 'budget friendly'. Then the poster gets bent out of shape when they are called on their suggestion.

Its not just Squier's, it is attitudes, a lack of empathy, politeness and concern for others feelings. Things are very different than this time even last year. A number of people need to learn the difference between opinions and facts. No matter how much you shout and repeat your opinion, it is still just that, your opinion.

I just enjoy my Squier's and other less expensive not overpriced guitars. Trolls and haters, just like snobs, are everywhere, often crawling out from under their rocks.

Hopefully it will all be significantly less, soon.

**BTW--This is not directed at any one person, most certainly not the OP. It is just my opinion, mostly agreeing with the original post, supplemented with my own opinion.

9. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Meister

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    IMO, the only legit complaint you can have about Squier is the socio-political/economic ramifications of buying a guitar made in China. I'd love to buy an American guitar to support an American maker, but at my budget that's a save-up-for-someday kinda thing. If I waited for my first American guitar, I never would have learned to play.

Led Pants, EdSevered, Shine and 4 others like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It's just the same with the valve amp cork sniffers.

American guitars are just another import here. :) They have to compete on value for money terms and generally lose.

Cochise, fuelish, Shine and 5 others like this.
  11. Paulsomeone

Paulsomeone Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2020
    Canada
    I always find this baffling. For example, looking at ancient Chinese joinery techniques and fine furniture it's mind boggling to dismiss the craftsmanship in other places around the world. Or Japanese planes tuned so fine the shavings they produce are so thin they are translucent.

loupegarrou, Eddd, Viking and 3 others like this.
  12. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Meister

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I got that the other day. "Are there any good replacement bodies in the GFS price range?" "Get a Warmoth." Mmmhmm. 3 to 5x the cost, okay.

Viking and beagle like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

These guys likely have other narrow minded issues that you've observed. Find a new set of guys.

Cochise, Paruwi, Viking and 2 others like this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    All the words about snobbery and brand consciousness are in my eyes true. As is the opposite. The so called "reverse snobbery" that makes for the almost as common comments -- sometimes subtle, sometimes not -- about (especially) Gibsons not being very good.

Hey, this is human nature. People like what they like, and feel sometimes crazily passionate about what they don't.

As a motorcyclist who worked as a writer for Ducati SpA I used to deal with this sort of thinking all the time. The anti "rice rocket" comments people would include in their letters to the company. And no, the company did not encourage it. In fact they allowed me to share the idea in a few of my columns that for some people buying one of the far less costly but very good performing Japanese bikes was a perfectly good idea.

Ive owned Fenders for well over fifty years (and Gibsons even longer) but I take great pleasure in my Squiers and Epiphones too. And anyone who thinks (or, as likely, just says without thinking) that such are poor guitars is simply wrong.

But to me it is a matter of "so what."

And I feel the same about those who look down on my several rather fine Gibsons. To do that is just, uh, shall I say "goofy."

But again, "so what?"

-don

TURlSMO, Bertman631, fuelish and 6 others like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Same here. There are two other teachers in my school who play guitar. When I tell them I picked up another Squier, their response is always, "Oh ... Squier ... ". Then they walk off.

Eddd, Shine, Viking and 2 others like this.
  16. offsetj

offsetj Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Over the years, I have owned all sorts of guitars, at every price point (from squier bullet strats to fender custom shop), and I take your point that cork sniffery is not helpful. The calls for Squiers as “cheap crap” just don’t make sense with the quality of these instruments nowadays.

But the opposite is also true, the comments that “my CV strat is as good as any MIA strat” is also not supported by the quality of MIA instruments today. Fender is making really good stuff, and the necks alone are such a differentiator. A particular CV might be better than a dog of an MIA fender, but on average there is a real noticeable difference.

Squiers have their place, and so do MIA instruments. Different tools for different jobs.

Why can’t we all just get along with our own instruments and our own likes and dislikes :) ?

17. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    It's because they think you can buy the blues. But the blues belongs to the working stiff and isn't for sale.

gstringsltd, Cochise, Shine and 5 others like this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Here's what I hear the most:

- My Harley Benton is as good as a Gibson Les Paul Custom
    - My Firefly plays better than a Gibson
    - My Squier is better than my MIM Fender
    - My "insert inexpensive brand" is better than a "insert expensive brand"

19. offsetj

offsetj Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    (Intentional rabble-rousing): What about Joe Bonamassa?

grizzlewulf likes this.
  20. Paulsomeone

Paulsomeone Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2020
    Canada
    At one point I had a 1966 Fender Electric XII. It was a beautiful guitar.

Later I had a Danelectro Hodad 12, which was also beautiful in it's own way and frankly sounded amazing.

The same could be said for the Gibson J-45 that I used to own. When money became tight and I'd run out of things to sell (and nobody wanted to buy my car), it had to go. Now I have a lower end Simon and Patrick acoustic guitar that I love as well. Do they sound different? You bet. But that's not a bad thing.

To me every instrument has its charm. I might mod a USA Telecaster with Keystones just as I might with a Squier. The tree the wood came from didn't care which name was going on the headstock.

gstringsltd, Bailey1214, Eddd and 4 others like this.