Why don't we just shut down membership? RE: Spam

SoundDesign

Squier-holic
Mar 8, 2016
Great. White. North.
Another thing one could do is make it mandatory to post in the "Introduce Yourself" section first and be approved by Lonn and others designated as "Thread Mods,"* before they're allowed to post anywhere else in the Forums. A spam there will allow the admins to block and ban them there before they can spread to the rest of the Forums.

Learned this trick from Discord.

* "Thread Mod" = mods who's powers are limited to a specific thread or subsection of the Forums.
I had a board that got bad enough that I enabled manual new account approvals by an admin. You could create an account but had to answer a few specific, topic oriented questions as part of the process. An admin would then review and approve. It meant that you might not get your account approved right away but that was the lesser of two evils compared to cleaning up spam.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I had a board that got bad enough that I enabled manual new account approvals by an admin. You could create an account but had to answer a few specific, topic oriented questions as part of the process. An admin would then review and approve. It meant that you might not get your account approved right away but that was the lesser of two evils compared to cleaning up spam.
Yup, that's one way. Or in our case one could require a substantial intro that's more than just "Hi I'm New How Ye?" If a noob posts a real intro and replies to member comments in a manner that seems believable as a real person, then an admin could approve the noob.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
You could create an account but had to answer a few specific, topic oriented questions as part of the process.
I'd tried to join a Les Paul forum recently -- that at some forum members here suggestion. It asked some "simple questions." But would accept no answer as correct.

One was that I had to say what the lining color of a classic Gibson case is. No answer that matched my experience was deemed right. (Hey, I only go back to the early `60s -- maybe that is not old enough to be considered "classic.")

Too much trouble and I, for one, skip. After three attempts I did there.

Problems like these seem to offer easy fixes. Often such prove to be additional obstacles.

Getting a site running with regular participants is far harder than it may appear. (Yes, I've done it. DUC.org ) And that is one more reason to cherish, protect and support S-T and our friends here.

-don

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I’ve been trying to get more mods on the site for a year with no luck. If you truly want to offer your services email member Alex at [email protected]
I had done so but have as yet to hear back from Alex, and I did check my trash, spam and junk mail folders And it's my understanding that several other members has had same thing happen, or should I say, not happen to them too.

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I've been a member of numerous forums related to many subjects and bots have always been a more or less prevalent issue everywhere else. If we took it down to such measures, we'd pretty much have to keep it closed indefinitely.

We have to either live with it or within the possible resources, increase the moderation/ better control the creation of new accounts with trick questions, captchas and the likes.

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
I've been a member of numerous forums related to many subjects and bots have always been a more or less prevalent issue everywhere else. If we took it down to such measures, we'd pretty much have to keep it closed indefinitely.

We have to either live with it or within the possible resources, increase the moderation/ better control the creation of new accounts with trick questions, captchas and the likes.
I wouldn't have a problem with a Captcha or some other preventive measure. Heck, just to read my Gmail I have to input my email or user name, my password, and then have a code sent to my phone. It seems a lot of work to me just to read what generally is spam emails and useless ads but I understand it's a necessity in today's world of cyber thefts.

Ray Stankewitz

Jammin' in my Music Room
Platinum Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2014
Central Indiana
I’ve been trying to get more mods on the site for a year with no luck. If you truly want to offer your services email member Alex at [email protected]
Lonn,
I'll try that again but to be honest, Alex is just not responding to emails or messages from this board. I'm not sure what's going on, but to be honest, it's not looking good at this point.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
There’s already so little traffic on this site if we shut down membership it would fold within a week.
Wow I will hope this site sticks around no matter what! I love this place it is the place to be, some super fantastic people are here and the information in many areas of music, guitars, amps, microphones and other topics are just awesome! If there is anything I could do to help please allow me to do so, and thank you for all you do!

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Another thing one could do is make it mandatory to post in the "Introduce Yourself" section first and be approved by Lonn and others designated as "Thread Mods,"* before they're allowed to post anywhere else in the Forums. A spam there will allow the admins to block and ban them there before they can spread to the rest of the Forums.

Learned this trick from Discord.

* "Thread Mod" = mods who's powers are limited to a specific thread or subsection of the Forums.
Great idea! Even one new "Mod" could be assigned to handle that! Giving a bad person the "axe" would possibly be fun to do! Just think, "another one bites the dust"...LOL!

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Even one new "Mod" could be assigned to handle that! Giving a bad person the "axe" would possibly be fun to do!

And so said the fly about the spider.

Yes, hackers such as this person deserve and need to be dealt with. Thier goal is entirely negative. Destructive.

Yet that said -- and wishing them long gone -- I've been less negatively effected (-just inconvenienced, really) by their nonsensical and purposeless postings, than I have by the self-seen protectors of the realm that are today commonly policing the web to delete any expressed idea that goes against their personal, or the officially approved, points of view.

The "ignore" button truly gets rid of this crap. (You do need to close the browser and reopen it for the benefit to take hold)

Free expression at least occasionally requires us seeing and personally deleting (or ignoring) some rot. I can live with that. Its the other more censorious stuff that'll keep me away.

-don

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
And so said the fly about the spider.

Yes, hackers such as this person deserve and need to be dealt with. Thier goal is entirely negative. Destructive.

Yet that said -- and wishing them long gone -- I've been less negatively effected (-just inconvenienced, really) by their nonsensical and purposeless postings, than I have by the self-seen protectors of the realm that are today commonly policing the web to delete any expressed idea that goes against their personal, or the officially approved, points of view.

The "ignore" button truly gets rid of this crap. (You do need to close the browser and reopen it for the benefit to take hold)

Free expression at least occasionally requires us seeing and personally deleting (or ignoring) some rot. I can live with that. Its the other more censorious stuff that'll keep me away.

-don
Well now given that you have some history here, is one reason I appreciate and enjoy your being around for folks like me. You have information that I do not have about many things relating to guitars and such, but also about being "here" as well. I appreciate it all and have to thank you and everyone else, too! This forum/website is awesome!

It was a no brainer for me to be supportive and become a gold member. We sat and smiled and my Wife said, "maybe you will be gold finger from the Bond movie"..yes indeed we have a lot of fun and laugh about many things to keep our hearts happy. And being here is one of them. Thank you all!

drewcp

Dr. Squier
Dec 14, 2018
Saint Paul, MN
Here's something interesting the most recent spam account did.

They created a thread with a very short nonsense title, nonsense text in the actual post, then revised it to have the spam title and spam message.

I can only assume this is a way around spam blocking on other forums that are stopping the posts immediately.

Next post will be two screen shots of the exact same thread

drewcp

Dr. Squier
Dec 14, 2018
Saint Paul, MN
Here's something interesting the most recent spam account did.

They created a thread with a very short nonsense title, nonsense text in the actual post, then revised it to have the spam title and spam message.

I can only assume this is a way around spam blocking on other forums that are stopping the posts immediately.

Next post will be two screen shots of the exact same thread
Screenshot_20220520-230455_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220520-230506_Chrome.jpg