Why don't we just shut down membership? RE: Spam

5ofeight

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2016
Glasgow
Ignore is a temporary measure to this problem, surely something like an anti bot can be added to the registrar section in the form of either s tick box or a puzzle picture..
I do recall asking the question awhile back as to why ST was not a secure site....anyway, let's message the management to move their asses.

Powerstroke

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2021
Usa
Out of all the forums I am on (many) this is the only one having this problem.
Maybe the others are too but they are doing something about it? Who knows.
I've not been able to join the telecaster reissue site. It says I'm spam . So many ask them. They have obviously done something

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
The Gear Talk Network will shut us down for being the "Loss Leader"!:eek::eek::eek: I got Trampled and then Banned on "Other" Site, so this is all I have! DON'T LEAVE ME!:cool:

SoundDesign

Squier-holic
Mar 8, 2016
Great. White. North.
There’s already so little traffic on this site if we shut down membership it would fold within a week.
First off, I'm only quoting you Lonn to extend this line of discussion, not to question what you're saying or expect you to have all (or any) of the answers.

Web hosting is, in the grand scheme of things, fairly cheap. I have a shared professional hosting account that is roughly $10 / month and offers "unlimited" bandwidth. I've been running sites a long time and not too naive to think that if my little domains were generating enough traffic or consuming enough bandwidth / CPU to crush the server I was on, they would let me know and renegotiate the terms of our arrangement. That's how shared hosting tends to work - the squeaky wheel gets replaced (so to speak).

The point is, I'm thinking of hosting costs in the context of the donations many have made here to keep this place going and it's hard to fathom how "traffic" (give or take) is keeping them from pulling the plug on this place in two weeks.

Potentially rebellious question here but when you get down to brass tacks, what exactly do "we" the users get from Gear Talk that is indispensable? Asked a different way, if I go register "squierfans.net" tomorrow and install a discussion board on it and invite a bunch of people to check it out, what are they going to do?

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
We are so small that a Vendor ($$$) Forum would maybe not work? How about a Guitar Give-away for Sponsor's only? Get People to Sponsor this Site! I did.:cool:

Powerstroke

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2021
Usa
First off, I'm only quoting you Lonn to extend this line of discussion, not to question what you're saying or expect you to have all (or any) of the answers.

Web hosting is, in the grand scheme of things, fairly cheap. I have a shared professional hosting account that is roughly $10 / month and offers "unlimited" bandwidth. I've been running sites a long time and not too naive to think that if my little domains were generating enough traffic or consuming enough bandwidth / CPU to crush the server I was on, they would let me know and renegotiate the terms of our arrangement. That's how shared hosting tends to work - the squeaky wheel gets replaced (so to speak).

The point is, I'm thinking of hosting costs in the context of the donations many have made here to keep this place going and it's hard to fathom how "traffic" (give or take) is keeping them from pulling the plug on this place in two weeks.

Potentially rebellious question here but when you get down to brass tacks, what exactly do "we" the users get from Gear Talk that is indispensable? Asked a different way, if I go register "squierfans.net" tomorrow and install a discussion board on it and invite a bunch of people to check it out, what are they going to do?
Nothing. lol just like they are doing now haha 😄 😆 😅 🤣 😂 😜

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
It's ok. Ignore works great. :)
Ultimately no. The continuation of the proliferation of the spam will consume server memory and resources. If there's a billion spam, they will take up memory, cpu cycles and net bandwidth. Not to mention the risk of those spams containing links to trojans and other malware or bad sites. These poses legal risks to the Forums and their owner(s) if not eliminated..

Methinks there need to be more stringent measures that prevents such spammers from joining, like remembering ISP and net address linked to past spammers and banned members, they should be automatically blocked from making new accounts.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Another thing one could do is make it mandatory to post in the "Introduce Yourself" section first and be approved by Lonn and others designated as "Thread Mods,"* before they're allowed to post anywhere else in the Forums. A spam there will allow the admins to block and ban them there before they can spread to the rest of the Forums.

Learned this trick from Discord.

* "Thread Mod" = mods who's powers are limited to a specific thread or subsection of the Forums.