Why do you play guitar?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by miket1117, Jul 19, 2021.

1. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    never could play brass, woods... can play enough keys to satisfy me, never played a baby grand. that'd be fun... probly live on the sustain pedal.:);)

2. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    some make fun of jammin out to john denver. i thought he was great! of course, my roots go back to 12 strings, always and forever, and johns songs can take you sailing. some of that, colored by the fact i always and will forever consider colorado home.... where i was born.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  3. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    instant camaraderie! its true. even at a GC. age differences, skill levels... all seem to kinda mean nothing when youre both looking at the same guitar. and even if youre not.

Bob the builder and grizzlewulf like this.
  4. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    To All,
    you are changing my perspective... on my past, my today, and my future.

thank you all so much for all of the replies. they have been, and continue to be, humbling and inspiring both.

bless all of you sad and happy madcats, maestros, maybe ifs, and everyone in between! truly a joy.

Bob the builder, Eddd and grizzlewulf like this.
  5. Mojotone

Mojotone Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2021
    Chateauguay, QC
    I play for the sheer passion I have for music and especially the geetar, its is something I'm very passionate and dedicated too

duzie and miket1117 like this.
  6. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    and your kitty plays too? awesome! love it, dude!

Mojotone likes this.
  7. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Mike, you summed up how I feel perfectly.

I play guitar because I like the way they feel in my hands, I like that I can make sounds that make me happy (if no one else), and I like tinkering with them to try to find the sound in my head.

I am an INCOMPETENT guitarist - although everyone I meet refuses to believe it - but what little I can do is enough to please me.

Personally, I never had the discipline to learn. I first started playing while my father was dying of cancer, and once he was gone, the guitar had served its purpose, and I never committed myself to continuing to learn, focusing instead on my burgeoning writing career.

But guitar is such a relaxant, and plucking beautiful, stratty sounds out of a nice cheap Strat (and cheepniss is part of the key) or a nice jazzy sound out of a more mellow guitar always takes me to a place of calmness.

In 20 years of playing I have never played in front of an audience, and likely never will. I save that for the drums...

miket1117 likes this.
  8. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    My mother infected me with music about 13.. James Taylor, Carpenters, Otis Redding.. Its her fault.

9. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    i've played in front of an audience all of three times in my life, all of them at open mic nights, all of them terrifying. no drums to fall back on... in fact given how much i drink sometimes, id probably fall over them.o_O:confused:

Shreddergirl and grizzlewulf like this.
  10. frankthedog

frankthedog Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2010
    SE Ohio
    The Beatles!!!! and, of course, it meant I would never have to dance to get girls to hang out with me!
    I grew up with a radio on non-stop and I have had music floating around in my head for my whole life. I have been (and still am) lucky enough to be playing in a band pretty much my whole life. I figure eventually I will learn how to play!! Teaching business at a college for 35 years was my side job!

grizzlewulf and miket1117 like this.
  11. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    wonder how many of your students know about your wilder "Rock 'n Roll" side? :cool:

12. frankthedog

frankthedog Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2010
    SE Ohio
    I am long retired now but they knew. I have always had very long hair for one, and often had students show up at gigs.

Bob the builder and miket1117 like this.
  13. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2012
    Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia
    For the longest time, I was in love with his Guild 12-string. Nothing beats the harmonic richness of a 12-string played by someone who knows what they're doing. And then Hotel California came around, and even the haters realized just how unique the instrument is.

I find JD to be the perfect role model for anyone into guitar and vocals. His playing was by no means simplistic. The way he combined open strings and fretted notes was absolute genius. Listen to the intro of "My Sweet Lady." Took me quite awhile to figure that one out. Once I did, boy, was I happy.

Glad to meet someone else who appreciates JD and everything he stood for. He may be gone, but the legacy he left behind will live on forever!

miket1117 likes this.
  14. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    In the shop building RCs.
    I tried following my Father and Uncles footsteps but I often ask myself, "Why Do I Play Guitar"? :(

My Uncle Tim on the left and Father Jerry on the right. Both long gone now.

Tim and Dad.jpg

15. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    i dont have an acoustic 12 anymore, but do have this 92 Charvel Surfcaster and a cheap Cozart 12-string t-type. there are times on it ive tuned it to an open G, then tuned the octave strings on the A and D to a 3rd or 5th off. makes for some interesting overtones! 20200911_222636.jpg

bluesguy62 likes this.
  16. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    because you can?

your uncle and father are both playing Ovations! my first good guitar was a '79 Ovation Legend, model 1117, full bowl, no electronics... still have it... not a great pic...

what happened with theirs?
    20200319_232630.jpg

Robbmonster and bluesguy62 like this.
  17. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2012
    Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia
    Beautiful Charvel you have there, with lipstick cover pickups to boot. You surely are a creative player. Bet you play some slide too, eh? I've only ever played in standard tuning, well maybe except for the time we all tuned down to Eb at the singer's request.

miket1117 likes this.
  18. groovesdown

groovesdown Squier Talker

Dec 31, 2018
    northern hemisphere
    There's some great answers with much thought given. I can only think of one reason I started playing guitar. upload_2021-7-27_17-24-2.jpeg

19. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    too funny! :):cool: good a reason as any... for some, the only reason!

20. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I used to have that exact same Affinity Tele, my first ever good guitar.

Loved it, but I just hated the colour scheme.

Eventually I bought a CAR Affinity, used the best parts from each on the one I wanted to keep, and moved the other on :)

miket1117 likes this.