Why do cowboy cords ruin frets?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Powerstroke, Oct 21, 2021.

1. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I, personally, have no experience with my fingers messing up frets. Maybe I have a light touch.

I do have experience with letting a pal who didn't know that you just lay the slide on the strings rather than pushing down and racking the slide up and down the frets play my guitar and he dented the **** out of some frets.

6-Bender likes this.
  2. 6-Bender

6-Bender Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2021
    North Carolina
    Still - I have to say - some of the best sounding songs ever produced came out of 3 Chords in the first 3 frets.. If ya work what ya got instead of working to get someone else's ... you can be a star.

BlueSquirrel and Robb like this.
  3. 6-Bender

6-Bender Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2021
    North Carolina
    How long did you loan it out? 2 years?

BarnyardShark1979 likes this.
  4. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Certainly seems like alot more holding lol

5. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    A year old guitar shouldn't need new frets, that's more my point. This is the 4th one I've seen recently that it was literally destroyed. Like leveling the frets would have been not wise. Replacement of the several destroyed frets. I should have taken pics. It's was disgusting to say the least. Like a brand new corvette with a smashed in windshield kinda deal haha.
    Guitar vs gorilla

BlueSquirrel and speelyei like this.
  6. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a 1989 Ibanez RG565R that has the same wear in the first 5 frets and on the pentatonic near the 12th fret. In many spots the fret has been worn to the fretboard itself. Judging from the wear patterns the PO has done LOTS of string bendings on the B string up low, on the D string mid board, and the G string from the bottom of the high end to the 9th fret.

I'm gonna have to refret the entire fretboard. Normally I'd pass on a guitar that has frets this worn, BUT this particular guitar is quite rare (best estimates has it < 200 made maximum, and the actual numbers are likely lower, and the attrition of 32 year's passage surely has whittled the numbers even lower).

IbanezRG565R-(900x1200).jpg

Guy must've had gorilla grips to wear those frets as Ibanez frets are generally durable or he really used it hard over the 25 years he claimed to have used it in gigs up/down the East Coast before retiring to Hawai'i.

I'm gonna put in stainless steel 6100 jumbo frets. They should then outlast the rest of the guitar. ;)

BlueSquirrel and Powerstroke like this.
  7. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    IIRC I left it at his place for a few months (I basically hung out there every weekend as a 20-year-old, so it's not like I never played it in th meantime) but it only takes one time of pressing some strings into the fretwire while attempting to play slide to make some divots.

8. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I bought a 2019 gio 7 string. It was pretty bad. But not awful. I cleaned them up easily. I had figured it was due to being a affordable gio Ibanez.

Lanaka likes this.
  9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    It's possible, I've never bought a Gio so I cannot personally confirm nor deny how good/bad they are. I would assume the individual parts quality is probably not as good as the regular lineup's parts. Whether they're par for normal beginner use or not, *shrugs* :D

Almost certainly they probably won't be able to handle serious abuse, possibly even more so than the more premium lines.

10. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I would say just as good as my Indonesia rg470mhz

Lanaka likes this.
  11. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    So I've heard, cheaper parts but still put together well.

12. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Why not? I've played folk music using a flying V more than once. I've worn the top five frets on acoustics to the point where I've had to replace them more than once, playing the same folk songs.

Lanaka likes this.
  13. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL, I only use an acoustic at campfires, mainly cuz there's no power outlets at campsites. :D

Powerstroke likes this.
  14. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I gigged with acoustics for many years with a folk-rock band, when I wasn't playing mandolin.

Lanaka likes this.
  15. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2018
    Sydney, Australia
    Because country and western is the devils tool?

Powerstroke and grizzlewulf like this.
  16. DJ_Dru

DJ_Dru Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2018
    California, USA
    Let's see... typing on the internet to complain about someone's guitar technique is one sure fire way to slow down the fret wear on your guitars. If I sell a guitar I really could give a flying (insert word here) what the guitar police say about how I play it and grip my guitar. It makes the noises, I want job done. If I put extra wear on a couple of frets ... I paid for it. If I go to sell it then the potential buyer has a choice ... Purchase it or not ... no need for discussion other than the guitar obtained that wear because I was playing it regular and not typing on a forum to complain "why O why" I wore my frets out or pontificate on how light their touch is. You do you and I'll do me. Seriously fellas ... get over yourselves.

Eli Koenig and beagle like this.
  17. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Calm down. If you destroy a guitar in a year that on you. But if you try to sell it to me that's another story.

Lanaka likes this.
  18. Barnsley-Boy

Barnsley-Boy Squier Talker

Sep 21, 2021
    Suffolk UK
    Use a capo at the first fret, now how much easier is it to play your guitar? How much less pressure do you need to apply to the strings to get the same results? Now think back to when you bought your first guitar, chances are the action at the nut was so high it felt like you were playing the 6 string version of one of these:
    2485086.jpg

I bet the action at the bridge was set too high as well, so venturing anywhere away from those first 3 frets just made it worse. I think this is probably the reason that the frets gets a beating at this end of the neck, and why we (me included) apply way to much pressure to the strings. If there is one thing that you can do to a guitar to instantly improve your playing technique it is to sort out the nut slot depth. It is night and day better. I always avoided touching this as I was under the impression that without the correct uber expensive nut files I would mess it up. Turns out you can use a fine triangular file and a set of welders nozzle cleaners to do the job! Just go slowly, and use a feeler guage to get a 0.3mm clearance at the 1st fret.

Lanaka likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I started filing my own bone nuts at least 30 years before I ever heard of nut files.

20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI

LOL, I used the old roundwound strings as files. For the plains, I've used those abrasive coated strings thats used for cutting pipes and such.

Nowdays I use the nut files for the plain strings but I still use the short lengths of old roundwounds for the LoE to G slots.

Powerstroke and beagle like this.