Who's Grilling Their Turkey?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Uncle Joe, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    My free thirteen pounder seems pretty thawed out since being in the fridge since Monday. Looking forward to prepping and trussing in the morning so I can slap it on the grill for a few hours. How about you?

2. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Brined and oven roasted, here. Love the aroma from the brine and the goodies tucked in the bird. Smells HEAVENLY, tastes even better.

3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

Several in my family don't like turkey. We do Boston Butts on the smoker for Thanksgiving. It's been dry brined and rubbed. So it's up at 5:00 tomorrow to put them in the smoker.

4. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

I have a wood pellet grill. First I coat the turkey in olive oil and then cover with a rub. Then I smoke it for 3-4 hours then cook it on a low setting until it's done. I've been preparing the turkey this way for years. It is so juicy and turns out great every time.

I used to deep fry them in peanut oil. But disposing of the oil and cleaning up was such a hastle. The last thing I want to do after gorging myself on turkey and drinking a bunch of beer is clean. It's nap time at that point...

5. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    not here
    Mine is in the brine. Will get roasted in the morning. Spent the day making a pot roast and lots of sides, couple of pies and a casserole. Kids are bringing more.

6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I like the olive oil and rub. I cut up whatever leftovers are in the vegetable drawer and jam that in there before I tie her up. Then I get the three burner going full blast and put in a foil tray of hickory and cherry chips. Once that starts smoking I turn off the center burner and put in the bird sitting up on a grate in a roaster pan with chicken stock inside. After a couple of hours I check the temperature. It works well for small birds. Comes out nice. Plus it frees up the kitchen for my wife and gives me an excellent excuse to get outside.

TimTheViking likes this.
  7. Guitar Cat

Guitar Cat Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2018
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    The restaurant we're going to is taking care of that!!!
    Since my M-I-L died last month this year will be the first year we'll be eating out on Thanksgiving.

8. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Hey you grillers and smokers, I’ve done that a lot when I designed Weber’s 14, 18, 22 smokers and 26” kettle. I grill/smoke year ‘round, but my sis is handling thanksgiving.

Enjoy the day whatever you do... and every day...

9. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Grilled it? I waterboarded it and it still won't talk.

Clockwise, -r3- and Davis Sharp like this.
  10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Rib roast. We rarely have turkey.

11. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Put it (chicken or turkey) in the roaster pan .

Cut an onion in half and put inside along with a stick of real butter. A cup of apple juice inside too.

Put about an inch plus of water in the pan ,cover an cook at 375 till done :)

Remove lid for last 15 minutes of cooking .

Leaves lots of good broth for making giblet gravy & dressing .

12. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Sounds delicious!
    I do the Alton Brown brine recipe. I carve the Turkey down to the carcass. The following day, everything, carcass, bones, items that were stuffed into the cavity, fresh carrots and celery, all go into a pot. This renders one of the most delicious Turkey stocks I've ever tasted.

fattboyzz likes this.
  13. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Here we deep fry them in hot oil.

Mojotone likes this.
  14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Well that was a bit challenging. Lots of wind on Thursday. Having a grill with a built-in thermometer helped. Came out delicious. Setting it breast-side-down to start helps keep it moist, I think. Today's the last day for leftovers. We had just the right amount for our small group. Hope yours came out great.

15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Going for it again on the gas grill. I've refined my technique a bit. I no longer stuff the bird. It cooks better when hollow. It's supposed to be calm and over 50 F outside tomorrow so I should be in good shape with my fourteen-pound free (promotional reward) ShopRite thawed bird. Only six of us this year so it should be less stressful. Everyone comes for Christmas.

Good luck with your birds and enjoy your families.

Are you the one in charge of the main course?

16. howserx

howserx Squier-Nut

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm thankful I don't need to cook. I usually buy a smoked ham if my boys are with me or hot dogs if they are with their mum. thanksgiving is pretty low on the holidays I feel I need to cook something special for.

17. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Nut

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Grilling my Turkey !

I call in a couple of Tough Guys from the FBI. :):):D

Robb and grizzlewulf like this.
  18. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Sorry if this is TMI, but I got a vasectomy today, so the grub is not my job this year lol. Feet up, football on, ice pack in place, cry until someone brings me food

Robb, Clockwise and shingh2002 like this.
  19. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Be thankful you're not a turkey ;)

grizzlewulf and Robb like this.
  20. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Thank you for your service.

grizzlewulf, Led Pants and Robb like this.