Who would you jam with?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by strat81, Oct 28, 2020.

1. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    You get to pick a group of musicians to jam with. Who do you pick?

Rules:
    -Alive or dead is OK.

-Only one each of the following: rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass guitar, drums, vocals, one "miscellaneous" as long as it's not rhythm, lead, bass, vocals, or drums. Violin, banjo, harp, keyboards, bodhran, harmonica, turntables, whatever. That means the largest possible band will be seven people, including you.

-The musician must be known to play that instrument. E.g., Eddie Van Halen can be your keyboard player, but Ringo Starr can't be your cello player.

-You can pick one band, even if it means you get a few guitar players. But that's all you get. No extras.

-You don't have to fill all the slots. If you want to jam only with Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio, that's cool.

-You can only pick a musician once. You can't have Dave Grohl on drums and guitar, or Paul McCartney on bass, guitar, and vocals.

Tell us why you picked them. Is it for their ability to shred? Maybe they write catchy tunes? They have the best reefer? You played their record/tape/CD/MP3/Spotify on repeat when you were in high school?

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Lead guitar: Slash
    Rhythm guitar: Malcom Young
    Drums: Dave Grohl
    Bass: Steve Harris
    Vocals: Lizy Hale

I just picked all these without much thought. But they are pretty much my favorite artists except for Dave Grohl. My favorite drummer is probably Tommy Lee, but Dave Grohl just seems like he would be a really cool dude to hang out with. And he’s not bad on the drums! :)

Eddd, speelyei, Forum Guest and 5 others like this.
  3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    All Deceased: Except for me obviously. LOL

Terry Kath Lead/Rythmn Guitar- Chicago
    Neil Peart Drums - Rush
    Chris Squier Bass- Yes
    Keith Emerson Keyboards- ELP
    Brad Delph Vocals- Boston
    *Vince Rythmn Guitar-White Room

This would make one Helluva Band in Heaven...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Jerry Allison - Drums
    Joe B Maudlin - Bass
    Buddy Holly - Guitar
    I would be completely satisfied to play with Buddy Holly and the Crickets.My first guitar hero.

Shine, wildelectric, speelyei and 4 others like this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Neil Peart - drums
    Mark Knopfler - Lead
    Malcolm Young - rhythm
    Charlie Starr (Blackberry Smoke) - vocals/guitar
    Victor Wooten - Bass

Very cool thread @strat81

6. strat81

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    In my house, I teach my children that we do not judge other people based on their race, religion, gender, or creed. We judge them based on their record collection and playlists.

I don't think we'd fight over the radio driving from NY to SF.

7. strat81

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Rhythm guitar: James Hetfield (Metallica)

Lead guitar: Slash (Guns n' Roses, Velvet Revolver)

Bass guitar: John Myung (Dream Theater)

Drums: Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters)

Vocals: Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)

GnR was the first time I realized music and rock n roll were cool. I was in maybe the third grade when my older sister brought Appetite for Destruction home on tape. My mother lost her ****. It's one of the few albums in my collection that I can listen to without the urge to skip a song. Slash is cool, his tone is killer (without an 80s Super Strat), and he can play. One could argue he's responsible for the success of the Les Paul in modern rock.

Metallica is what actually prompted me to pick up a guitar. Of the three core members, James seems like the most chill - the kind of guy to have a beer with. A poet and a musician.

The musicianship of Dream Theater and of Myung blows me away every time I put one of their records on. So if I get to have a dream jam, I might as well learn something. Myung is 87x better than I am, but the only way we get better is to play with people better than us.

Dave's inclusion on the list is simply because I love the Foo Fighters. I think he was the energy behind Nirvana's sound and I think Nirvana is in the shadow of Foo Fighters. Drums, guitar, vocals, lyrics... Dave does it all.

Chris' voice is melodic, grungy, and haunting. I don't know if I'd pick him to lead the children's choir, but for the music I like, he's perfect. It's a shame we lost him.

8. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Ry Cooder lead/rythm
    GE Smith lead/rythm
    John Densmore drums
    Ron McKernan vocals/harmonica
    Victor Wooten bass

I’d like to Daryl Hall there to just give me pointers and clues, and he could basically organize the whole thing.

Oh yeah, I am supposed to explain why I made my choices. I would like this Jam to be fun and enjoyable. I do not wanna deal with any prima-donna attitude or hissy fits.
    I would like it to be educational. I would like to be around competent knowledgeable musicians who are going to broaden my view and help me build my skills at the same time.
    I also wanted to pick people who had a unique sound, and seemed kind and interesting.

9. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    If we compile everyones list all into one big get-together, it would probably look a lot like the 1980’s USA for Africa ‘We are the World’.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Funny, but when I think of jamming its not with anyone "famous."

Yes, I did do so. Even did a longish duet once with Charlie Mingus. (He on upright bass, me on siatr)

But no, the most enjoyable playing for me was with people I'd developed a musical rapport with. Member's of my own various bands. People who could sense where I was heading and visa versa.

The guys in Tilton's market for instance.

Keith Tilton died not too long after that group, forced by circumstance (Keith's starting at the Brooklyn Conservatory, me having to move away to meet my alternative service requirements, etc.), had 'broken up, but he and I could read each other. As could Barry Edelman, the groups's stand-up (non instrument playing) vocalist.

The players I most love listening to I'd rather hear jamming with someone that they have that musical connection with already established.

What such musical rapport can lead to is evidenced here. This is a recording of the first take -- first "try" -- of a then brand new song Barry and I had written. We played it for the band, talked for a couple of minutes about where we wanted it to go, and then simply turned on the recorder and played.

It has been decades since I have experienced anything like that. The few "jams" since then -- even with some good and capable musicians, produced nothing that inspired me.

Of course, as the ads used to say, "you mileage may vary."

-don

Angry Possum likes this.
  11. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Here we go....this is a list of MY dream band, because while they were here, I was too young......

Fiddle - My Grandfather Kenneth Edward Fields (1910-1998)
    Piano and vocals - My Grandmother Marie Fields (1909-2003)
    Accordion and vocals - my uncle Bob Fields (still here but at age 80 doesn't play much now)
    Rhythm acoustic guitar - my uncle Arnold Fields (at 82 he can no longer play and is confined to a wheelchair)
    Lead guitar - me

no bass or drummer needed, they played old 1920s-1940s standards....

12. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Lord knows I don't have the chops to keep up with more than half of them, but I wouldn't mind a nice long Allman Brothers style jam with any of these guys:

Guitar: Gilmour, Hendrix, Duane Allman, Peter Green
    Bass: Geezer Butler, Chris Squier, Geddy Lee
    Drums: Neil Peart, Bill Ward, Phil Collins
    Vocals: Jim Morrison, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell
    Keyboards: Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks, Geddy Lee

I know I am probably missing a few faves, but these guys are the ones that popped up first.

13. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I guess the real question is “what am I playing?”. Being a better bassist than guitarist, I’ll put myself on bass.

Drums: Anderson.Paak - saw his tiny desk as was pretty impressed
    Bass: me, but I’d also love to meet Flea
    Guitar: John Frusciante - I’ve always loved the way he makes the guitar wail
    Keys: Herbie Hancock - he’d blow us all out of the water, but seems down to earth enough to have fun jamming simple tunes.

I think I’ll leave it there. I used think jamming with Miles Davis would be the coolest thing ever...but having read more about the guy, that experience might just leave me feeling awful. He doesn’t suffer amateurs.

Angry Possum, dbrian66 and speelyei like this.
  14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    No way. I've been invited to jam with pros and I don't belong in the same room.

For someone famous I'll pick Groucho Marx and Leon Redbone. I think it would be fun cutting heads with them. Leon takes it hands down.

15. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    As this is a guitar forum, I'll stick to that instrument regarding the ideal players to jam with in all of the lead, rhythm, shredder, jazz, country, etc. categories. The list:

Danny Gatton.

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  16. guitalias

guitalias Squier-Meister

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Simple.
    Queens of the Stone Age, Songs for the Deaf line up.

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

I'd probably have the most fun jamming with some decent unknown players. The pros are so far above my level that even if they politely went along with my playing, I'd know they were being nice to me more than really enjoying themselves.

Angry Possum, speelyei and dbrian66 like this.
  18. Tepid Pilot

Tepid Pilot Squier Talker

Stewart Copeland, drums
    Willie Dixon, bass
    Johnnie Johnson, piano
    Judy Henske, vocalist

TP

19. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    At this time in THIS year, I just wish I could jam with buddies. Like we did every week until March 15th.