Who here builds bodies?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by grizzlewulf, Dec 2, 2021.

1. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I'm tinkering with the idea of a DIY build, and starting to think that, to get the body shape I really want (something akin to a Yamaha SG-2/3) I'd have to make a custom job, or have someone make it for me.

I have no home access to a woodshop...the most advanced stuff I have around are, like, a basic table saw, a circular saw, maybe a jigsaw. Dremmel.

So I'd have to ask around among acquaintances to see who has more advanced stuff, planers etc...

I know some of you have built custom bodies. How far out of my depth am I? What tools are an absolute necessity?

Conversely, anyone know of someone who would build custom shaped bodies that aren't like, a bajillion dollars? Would any of you be interested in doing one for me on commission, price negotiable?

(Ps I know Dr Google and Mr YouTube could answer a lot of my queries, but I wanted to start a conversation among you goofs)

2. silverring233

silverring233 Squier-holic

Feb 2, 2011
    Arkansas
    i did an explorer several years ago with minimal tools. there's a thread somewhere in here on it

Robb, dbrian66, mkgearhead and 2 others like this.
  3. speelyei

speelyei Squier-holic

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    I think you’d do fine with minimal tools. What kinda body are you looking to build?

4. speelyei

speelyei Squier-holic

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    I’d imagine you’re going to use some kind of dimensional lumber?

so step 1, layout your pieces and rip them carefully on the table saw (tool #1).

glue and clamp your pieces. The more clamps the better, but three harbor freight 24” bar clamps @$7ea ($21, tool 2) will work fine. To stop your pieces from slipping and creating an uneven front and back, use 4 pieces of 1”x2” or remnants from your rips, and clamp the front and back with 4 harbor freight 6” c-clamps $6.50ea ($26, tool 3).

once the body is glued up, you can use a belt sander, palm sander, or Stanley 9.75” bench plane [email protected] Home Depot (tool 4).
    Or, a economy way to level and flatten the body is to glue sandpaper to flat blocks of wood.

once the blank is roughed in, you can trace the pattern onto the blank, and cut it out with an electric bandsaw, jigsaw, or a manual coping saw.
    Another option is to purchase a router (my suggestion), and carefully cut a pattern out of 3/8” Masonite, and use the router with a bearing bit to cut out the body outline, which takes many passes, but looks so clean and pro when you’re done. You can also use the router to do a pro job of cavities and neck pockets, and round-over the body edges.

to carve body contours, you can use a rasp, or 60 grit sand paper glued to a 1”x2”.

Another thing about tools… just get your feelers out. Ask, look around, just always kinda be looking for tools. I have found and received a lot of free tools as hand-me-downs, give-aways, and stuff I’ve found on the roadside.

Archtops, Robb, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  5. I've never been or will be, a body builder.

6. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Those are good tips...maybe it's something that's not wildly beyond me. Maybe. Little nervous about cutting the shape out with a jigsaw. And mostly just not trusting myself to be patient, diligent, and thorough

I'd love a body shape like the Yamaha SG-2/3, A somewhat Fender flavored offset, but with more pointy SG-like horns.
    48606842027_92c32bfa2a_k.jpg

7. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Robb and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Good thing I read the whole thread before I posted. :)

grizzlewulf, Robb and dbrian66 like this.