Who else wants a yummy new LPB CV "Late 60s" Jazz Bass with Binding & Block Inlays?

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Fender have just put what had been a FSR Europe-exclusive Classic Vibe Jazz Bass up on their website, and it too is on sale for $439 US. I love it. It's actually called a "Late 60s" classic vibe, hence the binding and block inlays on a (non-maple) fretboard. The only missed opportunity is that it doesn't have a matching headstock (Norman's Rare Guitars recently featured a '66 LPB JB with matching headstock, so it is period correct to do that). But if you were considering the 60th Anniversary models, these are $160 cheap but without gold hardware or the special neck plate. Seriously, if you're in the mood for a CV Jazz Bass, consider this:
0374535502_sqr_ins_frt_1_rr.png
0374535502_sqr_ins_cbr_1_nr.jpg

I don't do 34" scale basses anymore due to injury, but I may have to anyway...

gary mitchell

Squier-holic
Aug 23, 2019
Texas
I would love to have one. just like the one in the picture I like the blue. Right now I am playing Ibanez bass guitars I love them. My main bass is a mint 1990 Jewel Blue SR800 4 string active electronics, at 71 years old the slender neck is fast and very comfortable. I still play Fender guitars I have a American Telecaster and Stratocaster.

Last edited:

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
I would love to have one. just like the one in the picture I like the blue. Right now I am playing Ibanez bass guitars I love them. My main bass is a mint 1990 Jewel Blue SR800 4 string active electronics, at 71 years old the slender neck is fast and very comfortable. I still play Fender guitars I have a American Telecaster and Stratocaster.
My most played basses by far are my 4 & 5 string 3/4 scale (28.6") Ibanez Mikro basses. Since my injury, even 30" is a stretch for me. Thankfully I've learned I can get any tone I want from a Mikro.

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
I've never really had a chance to speak to anyone about things like "why don't you like a matching headstock"? I mean for me it looks amazing. And if you don't like the color on the headstock, how can you stand it on the body? But obviously there are a lot more like you that prefer the plain old headstock. Is it because you grew up in a time when they weren't common, because your favorite artist didn't play one that had a matching headstock, or is there another reason?

This is what a classic 1966 all-original LPB Jazz Bass looks like:
66.png

And this is what the old artist model Squier looked like:
James Johnston Jazz Bass 0301078502_frt_wmd_001.jpg

I guess I've seen too many black, white, and sunburst body guitars, too many with tort or mint pickguards (I don't get off-green/mint pickguards at all), and too many with plain or black (with non-black body) headstocks. It just seems that painting the headstock the same color as the body is a no brainer and anything else looks off. But again, I know I'm in the minority. I guess I should pass on this, because that artist model with the gold Squier logo looks outstanding.

Slacker G

Squier-Meister
Sep 6, 2021
Iowa
If if the natural headstock gets you down, just paint the headstock to match the body.

Call Fender and tell them the dog ate your decals and then ask for some replacements.

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Oh, I have no trouble getting Squier decals. It's the painting any part of a guitar to make it look as nice as the Indonesians do part that I have a problem with. If that part were easy (for me), every one of my Fender and Squier guitars would have a matching headstock (well, except for the black, white and sunburst ones, which would be refinished in a less boring color scheme). But good advice.

BobbyMac

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2021
Texas Panhandle
This looks fantastic and I would be all over it, but I have too many blue guitars and don't want another one. If only they offered it in another color it would be on the way!

BobbyMac

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2021
Texas Panhandle
Well, I couldn't hold back. Just placed an order for one of these Late '60s FSR Jazz bass guitars. The price point was great, even lower than a standard Classic Series Jazz, and the Limited Edition FSR factor finally made me push the buy button. Also ordered a black Fender Classic Series bass case for this guitar. I keep saying I'm done buying guitars, but if Squier keeps putting out these very cool FSR models, I may not be able to resist!

BluesForDan

Squier-Nut
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
Well, I couldn't hold back. Just placed an order for one of these Late '60s FSR Jazz bass guitars. The price point was great, even lower than a standard Classic Series Jazz, and the Limited Edition FSR factor finally made me push the buy button. Also ordered a black Fender Classic Series bass case for this guitar. I keep saying I'm done buying guitars, but if Squier keeps putting out these very cool FSR models, I may not be able to resist!
where did you order it? I looked at several online places and they weren't showing it

BobbyMac

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2021
Texas Panhandle
Go to fender.com and you’ll find it there. I looked for it at all the usual big box vendors but no one else seems to have it. Probably an exclusive release limited to fender.com so I figured I’d better get one before they’re all gone.

Latest posts