Where you like your Wah Wahwah ?

howserx

Squier-holic
Apr 20, 2017
Winnipeg Canada
I've had it sounding great before and after fuzz /OD but generally I have better luck having them before. Getting it to sound good (to me) after drive is a lot trickier.
I have one of the EHX talking wahs and it comes with built in fuzz that you can have before or after. Too bad the fuzz was horrible and unusable in either setting. 😁

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
If it's before any drive pedals, its effect will be less pronounced and more subtle than if it's after them. I like the sound of it after any drive pedals, where the wah effect is more pronounced. People generally use it before drive pedals to simulate the sound of Hendrix, Clapton, etc., where it was between guitar and amp, and the amp was making the distortion. And, if they did have any drive pedal back then it was usually a fuzz, which don't play nice with a lot of treble boost after them, where it will sound like a swarm of angry bees, and not in a good way.

Last edited:

Diavolo

Squier-Nut
Jan 3, 2022
USA
I like my wah in it's original box stashed away in a drawer.

Pretty sure its a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix, that I bought in the mid 90's.
Used it once in 1996 to play a Rage Against the Machine song and then not again until I picked up guitar just a few years back and put it on my pedal board. After which I had to clean the wah pedal because it got dust in it, then it worked, i played the same Rage Against the Machine riff, and then put it back in the box. Because I dont know how to use a wah hahaha.

When I had it on my pedalboard it was 2nd after the tuner, before any pitch shift stuff and before the drives.

howserx

Squier-holic
Apr 20, 2017
Winnipeg Canada
I like my wah in it's original box stashed away in a drawer.

Pretty sure its a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix, that I bought in the mid 90's.
Used it once in 1996 to play a Rage Against the Machine song and then not again until I picked up guitar just a few years back and put it on my pedal board. After which I had to clean the wah pedal because it got dust in it, then it worked, i played the same Rage Against the Machine riff, and then put it back in the box. Because I dont know how to use a wah hahaha.

When I had it on my pedalboard it was 2nd after the tuner, before any pitch shift stuff and before the drives.
lol, I hear ya. Mine is on the board but rarely gets used. My favourite thing is to turn it on then forget to turn it off. Then I start playing the next day and wonder why everything sounds so "off". I prefer flanger (or autowah), gets me in the ball park without having to get pickhand, fret hand AND foot in sync.

Diavolo

Squier-Nut
Jan 3, 2022
USA
lol, I hear ya. Mine is on the board but rarely gets used. My favourite thing is to turn it on then forget to turn it off. Then I start playing the next day and wonder why everything sounds so "off". I prefer flanger (or autowah), gets me in the ball park without having to get pickhand, fret hand AND foot in sync.
the stuff i play i just dont need a lot of pedals, but that doesnt stop me from owning them for that one song. where an effect comes in handy.

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I have a Morley wah, which is optical, so it doesn't get noisy and scratchy like most that have a worm/gear arrangement connected to a pot. It also has a lot wider travel from bass to treble than the usual Vox or Crybaby type. Besides Jimi, Jeff beck is the master of wah, using it to great expressive effect that is far beyond the usual just rocking it back and forth with no relation to the fretted notes being played, instead synchronizing it to the notes being played, and using it on slide, as on Ain't Superstitious on Truth and Definitely Maybe on the "Orange" (Going Down) album, and by Steve Miller on The Joker.

Last edited:

Shine

Squier-holic
Nov 29, 2016
West Coast Landia
I have a Morley wah, which is optical, so it doesn't get noisy and scratchy like most that have a worm/gear arrangement connected to a pot. It also has a lot wider travle from bass to treble than the usual Vox or Crybaby type. Besides Jimi, Jeff beck is the master of wah, using it to great expressive effect that is far beyond the usual just rocking it back and forth with no relation to the fretted notes being played, instead synchronizing it to the notes being played, and using it on slide, as on Ain't Superstitious on Truth and Definitely Maybe on the "Orange" (Going Down) album, and by Steve Miller on The Joker.
Jeff vocalizing on the wah:

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Hmmm, interesting. I dont have a wah pedal...unless ye count that Ibanez AW7 AutoWah pedal I have but still haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Most of the time when I do hear a wah and know it's in play, it sounded awful to me. So I never had any impetus to getting a real wah. Only reason I got the AutoWah is to complete my set of Ibanez Series 7 pedals.

Didnt know that Jeff Beck used the wah. He must've been very subtle or skilled to use it well that I never knew he had a wah going on. And I liked listening to JB's playing. Anyone who's name is on one of my top fave humbucker warrants a listen, yes? Makes me wonder who else uses a wah with out being obvious that a wah is being used?

Toddcaster64

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 1, 2013
Ventura
I’ve said it before, I probably played my wah pedal more the first day I had it than the entire rest of its existence. I doubt I’m alone in that regard. I know I still have it, but I can’t even think of the last time I saw it, now that I think about it. It just took up space on my pedal board and I took it out years ago.

However, for one glorious day, I wahed every damn song I knew. Songs that one could never conceive of having wah got wah that fine day.

Oh, to answer the original question, it was first in the signal chain.

AxelMorisson

Squier-holic
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
..any old-time Metallica fans out there?? Hellouououououou,yeah ... wah-wah, yeah-yeah.
Behringer Hellbabe user here. Optical, but with a crazy shaped notch . Love the OD and sometimes use it as such.... a light overdrive. I floor it and let it there for an entire passage. I do love what (a beautiful mess) it makes with a bass.

Shine

Squier-holic
Nov 29, 2016
West Coast Landia
Hmmm, interesting. I dont have a wah pedal...unless ye count that Ibanez AW7 AutoWah pedal I have but still haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Most of the time when I do hear a wah and know it's in play, it sounded awful to me. So I never had any impetus to getting a real wah. Only reason I got the AutoWah is to complete my set of Ibanez Series 7 pedals.

Didnt know that Jeff Beck used the wah. He must've been very subtle or skilled to use it well that I never knew he had a wah going on. And I liked listening to JB's playing. Anyone who's name is on one of my top fave humbucker warrants a listen, yes? Makes me wonder who else uses a wah with out being obvious that a wah is being used?
Wahful? 😅

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
I like in under my right foot. 😜

I've always had it first in the chain because it sounds best to me there. Now that I have this CV 60's Strat I've been using it more than I have in years.