What's your worst guitar?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by grizzlewulf, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    IMG_20210507_194308 (2).jpg

This one...It`s a late 60s/ early 70s KaY135 and it sounds awful, tinny and dead...regardless of what strings you put on. It has been repaired numerous times over the years and I have`nt played it for years.
    I only keep it because its the only thing I have of my fathers and i`ve had it since I was 6.

motorhead, Randall E, Robb and 4 others like this.
  2. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I still have a rg470mhz wine red color mahogany body. Mine has the edge zero trem, probably same as yours. Never seen one with a actual floyd rose.
    I never play mine because I don't like the pickups. I tried a seymour duncan sh6 and it wasn't alot better. But I have a feeling the jb pickups are what I like. Im pretty particular about tone

Lanaka, Robb, Shine and 3 others like this.
  3. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Some of y'all posting you don't have a bad one...it's a valid response to say all my guitars are nice, this one is the least nice of them. I'm kinda curious to see those, too

4. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

They can make a pretty cool clock too.

miket1117 and dbrian66 like this.
  5. SubSailer671

Mine is a Rogue Dreadnought RA100d. I bought it new for $75 on a stupid deal I think. I changed the nut and saddle to bone, compensated saddle so it is sort of intonated, and lowered the saddle a little too much. In the summer it has such low action--lower than any guitar I own including the strat. In the winter I can't tighten the truss rod enough to keep it from buzzing. I guess it is a summer only guitar now.

Sound wise it is just okay. Laminated top, sides, and back. In the summer it plays pretty well in Open D or DADGAD.

I'm thinking of selling or giving it away mostly because I want the rack space.

6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    The worst guitar I ever had was my first, a Norma classical Acoustic, I restrung it with the heaviest gauge guitar strings I could find as a bass when I first started learning. No truss rod, and the bridge started pulling off the body within a couple of weeks. I had to slack the strings, and put bolts, washers, and nuts on the bridge to hold it to the body. I played that for seven months until I convinced my parents to buy me a used Cortez Mustang bass copy (had a single precision pickup), I of course had to pay them back.

None of the guitars I have currently… suck, The closest thing to a problem I have is the sawtooth Tele.
    It has a bridge that has string through holes, and top loading holes, there were ferrules in the back, but they weren’t drilled in line with the holes in the plate, and they were stuffed with a white paste like substance.

The neck pick up cover was loose (tabs were never set), when I got it, and the last time I pulled it off the wall, it didn’t have any output. It has a fantastic chunky neck and a wonderful lightweight body, the ceramic pick ups just sound fantastic for what they are, but of everything new I’ve ever bought, it has had the most issues.
    923AF5F1-BB0A-4826-8AA7-A37A1A02C7BF.jpeg
    If it had a tummy cut, it would be perfect.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  7. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    As for me, I've got a Tanara Korean acoustic, biggish size, my wife's old guitar. I just can't get the action reasonably low, it doesn't intonate great and is very difficult/tiring to fret. Neck seems pretty straight to me. I don't really know what I'm doing on acoustics, filed the nut slots and saddle slots a bit but it's still absurdly high action. Should I consider changing the bridge?

Kinda would like to get it playable, it has potential. Nice tuners, seems like decent components. Okay tone, bassy.

Robb and miket1117 like this.
  8. SubSailer671

A couple of tricks to get the action down on an acoustic are to shave or sand the bottom of the saddle, and maybe tweak the truss rod a little bit to git it very flat. Unfortunately these can only take you so far and at some point you will need to do a neck reset. That is major surgery and probably not worth the effort and/or cost.

As for the intonation issues, have you tried a compensated saddle? You can buy them for just a few bucks from many places including that jungle website. They can really help a good bit with intonation issues on an acoustic. So can lowering the action.

dbrian66, Robb and grizzlewulf like this.
  9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Oooops! Correction, that honor goes to…

My ‘05 ‘51: Razor sharp frets, squishy nut, and those original saddles. Between fixing, and modding, probably the guitar to date I spent the most time on.
    62F58B1F-49B5-4E83-9BC0-FCE981F5E136.jpeg A friend now owns it (he paid me handsomely for it).

10. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Maybe I'll try shaving the saddles...really doesn't seem like the saddle piece is terribly high above the bridge, but, it's worth a shot

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    That's prolly the most BRG looking guitar I have ever seen.

I like it! :D

dbrian66 and Robb like this.
  12. SubSailer671

When you do shave the saddle (only work from the bottom!) remember that the effect is doubled. For instance, if you want to lower the action at the 12th fret by 2 thousandths, you need to remove 1 thousandths from the saddle. A caliper helps to measure it. I use a very sharp pencil to make a line and sand it to the line.

It won't cost you much to try. Some sandpaper, elbow grease, and a few dollars for a new saddle if you screw this one up.

Shine, dbrian66 and grizzlewulf like this.
  13. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg image.jpeg My tele bird. I love the way it looks and sounds, but it is too long. It feels like my left hand is too far away from my body.It rests uncomfortably on either leg when sitting. Just a clunky guitar. It looks cool, and sounds great, so I keep it around. Hardly ever play it.

motorhead, Shine, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  14. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    That's too bad, it looks awesome. I'm really considering something a lot like that for my next guitar

dbrian66 and Robb like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I don't have any, I haven't bought a bad guitar for over 40 years. Before that, more than one went on the bonfire.

Shine and Robb like this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    My worst at the moment is still pretty good, but it's the last one I pick up.

[​IMG]

motorhead, Robb, Ladeeh and 2 others like this.
  17. archetype

archetype Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Western NY, USA
    I don't own a worst guitar. I don't know why anyone would, unless it was only for some sentimental reason. Keeping one because you can't get your money back out of it doesn't sound logical to me, either. It's sunk cost and gone. Sell it and use the money for something better.

Robb likes this.
  18. My worst guitar is only that way because I haven't set it up properly. That can be remedied this fall when I get it on the bench.

Robb and dbrian66 like this.
  19. Slacker G

Slacker G Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2021
    Iowa
    If everybody owned one it would be everybody's least favorite guitar.

DSC01315.JPG

HikerDave, Lanaka, motorhead and 3 others like this.