What's your worst guitar?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by grizzlewulf, Oct 12, 2021.

1. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    That’s pretty cool. Does it just light up the fret markers? Any pics of it working?

Robb and dbrian66 like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    It lights up all the notes that are in the key of the backing track you are playing with. If I remember correctly, root notes are either brighter or blink. It’s been a while since I used it. Here is an old photo with the neck lit up.

C249856E-D31A-4C68-9AA5-B1BAD2CD505D.jpeg

miket1117, Robb, Ladeeh and 3 others like this.
  3. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    That’s pretty neat. Can it be played through an amp conventionally?

Robb and dbrian66 like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, if you look at the picture that’s lit up, there are two cables. One goes to the computer for the lights, and the other is just a regular 1/4 guitar cable that goes to an amp. Without the computer cable, it’s just an electric guitar like all the rest.

miket1117, Robb, Ladeeh and 1 other person like this.
  5. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Yes when it arrived it had 12s or 13s on it I think it probably is why it has maybe had truss rod work done to it. Because that should use a metric allen wrench but it only worked with an American size allen wrench. I took the strings off and put 9s on it now I'm gonna leave it sit for a week maybe and then try and adjust it again. It does need a fret level though and I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money. Thanks for the shim idea. Cheers

dbrian66 and grizzlewulf like this.
  6. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    A GFS thinline tele-style guitar I got for like $90 when they first came out. I shimmed the neck and set it up as best as it probably can be, and it's still basically a clunker, with the strings always feeling too high. I changed the pickups to some HB-sized P-90s that sound pretty good, sold the "dream 180s" that came in it, and I only keep it around because I have ideas of learning slide guitar on it. It would probably rock for that with the p/ups and string height.

Robb, dbrian66 and grizzlewulf like this.
  7. Ridjrunr

Ridjrunr Squier Talker

May 16, 2021
    Kansas
    Fender squire acoustic. From?2005..
    I think the fret board is phenolic

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    First time I see something like this. Cool.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I dont have any. I get rid of them or give them away.
    But probably a epiphone les paul studio wine red. I had it for a long time before I realized it sucked worse than anything else. I traded it and a tele I didn't like for a evh 5150iii lbxii
    20190911_130352.jpg 20190911_131025.jpg

10. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I have a Squier Affinity Telecaster (Arctic white). Came with a maple neck & fretboard. Changing out the nut one day in it's early life, I accidentally chipped a piece of wood off the inside (fret side) of the nut groove. So I bought a cheap Kmise neck (like $35.00) Rosewood on maple. Neck was nice and straight, but needed fret work and sanding of the back. Added a water slide decal to the headstock and polyurethaned it and sanded. Didn't come out GREAT, but not bad for my first time.
    Then I put on MIM tuning machines, and got a couple of them a tad crooked (barely see it, but just knowing it bugs me).
    Guitar looks nice and plays nice---just hate the end result.
    Reason I keep it? Well; I put a lot of time and effort into it...and I don't think anyone else would even want it if they actually took a close look at it.

11. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    The joy is in the achievement that YOU did it. Sod whatever anyone else may think. We tend to be over critical of ourselves and pay too much attention to Perfection.
    I recently assembled a Sugar Water feeding station for the wild birds in my garden. Do you think they give a hoot that it is a Margerine tub and a Coke bottle ?
    Enjoy your Guitar, Arctic White sounds real cool. ( no pun intended ). Tom

White Dog, dbrian66, driver8 and 2 others like this.
  12. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    These show up locally on FBMP for too much. My issue with grabbing one is that I don't know if the software is still supported, compatible, licensing fees, subscriptions, etc.

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I forgot about this little First Act nylon string. This is my absolute worst guitar. Impossible to keep tuned but fun to mess with.

003.JPG

Robb, Shine and dbrian66 like this.
  14. fleezinator

fleezinator Squier Talker

Jun 22, 2020
    Texas
    I think mine would be the 2nd guitar I ever owned, a shreddy Ibanez RG 470. I loved it back in the day, probably because I didn't know any better. I quickly grew tired of the Floyd Rose trem. I found it limiting to not be able to change up to drop D at any moment so I did away with the nut locker thingees. Then i just found it annoying that by going drop D, all equilibrium was lost & so went my tuning stability. I ended up decking it for the most part. Changing strings was a pain in the butt too, having to clip off ball ends and requiring an allen wrench.

All that said, it played great. The neck was the thin wizard kind for fast effortless arppegios. I still love that dark, almost black-ish green color. I cleaned it up recently after it had sat in the closet collecting dust and sold it to family member who was looking to start playing.
    [​IMG]

Lanaka, Robb, Shine and 3 others like this.
  15. M T Poteet

M T Poteet Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2021
    CO
    They are all gone.
    I only buy what I like and can play in my hands.
    If I buy on line(only happened once) I make sure it's at a throw away price.
    I no longer buy on impulse.

Robb, grizzlewulf and dbrian66 like this.
  16. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    The old software is a free. This works with the old guitars like mine that use a cord. The newer ones are wireless and require a different software that you have to buy.

https://fretlight.com/products/fretlight-studio-software

Exhead likes this.
  17. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I bought a Silvertone Strat for $25. It is not worth half that. Cheapest plywood body I have ever seen. Terrible rout machining. I still have it because I wouldn't even give this guitar to someone though I do have plans to make a lamp out of it.

Doc538, Robb, Shine and 1 other person like this.
  18. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Perfect for slide guitar, no?

dbrian66 likes this.
  19. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    I bought one of those for $20, the body was FUBAR just trash and that is where the body stripped of hardware went. The neck though is pretty great and will end up on a Squier body. Should of thought of the lamp option....

Robb, Shine, dbrian66 and 1 other person like this.
  20. motorhead

motorhead Squier Talker

Oct 1, 2021
    Tampa
    My squire bullet mustang was the worst one I had until I leveled the frets and put in some p94s and a tone pot.And also had to change the saddles.Yep I just keep working on them until I like them.

Robb, Shine, grizzlewulf and 2 others like this.