What's the best new electric guitar $200 or less?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by porkpie, Oct 15, 2021.

1. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Legos rule!

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Squier-Axpert

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Monoprice Indio Boardwalk (335 copy), link works fine for me.

I had nothing useful to contribute on MP guitars until I got my Idyllwild acoustic from them, a smidge bright for a dreadnaught (acoustically that is, electrically it sounds like most any Fishman-equipped acoustic) , but great setup, and good tuners/nut/bridge.

Based on that, I wouldn’t hesitate to by any of their midrange and up stuff. The boardwalk has some pretty good video reviewed, and the neck is chunkier than the FF338 (though not as chunky as my Dot Studio).

That’s a good sale price on the natural, and my fav finish for that model (because the burst w/black hardware looks awful to me).

I just bought a Grote P90 335 for $189, I love the way it sounds, but given the hours I spent on the finish, and I’m finding the tuners lackluster (nut is cut perfect, but keeps slipping out of tune), I don’t think you’ll have any of that with a Indio.

If I lost all my Guitars tomorrow, and I only had $200 to get one NEW electric guitar… it would have to have a chunky neck, so that leaves out most of the Squier line, and some sub-200 guitars I love are no longer available (C&G Telecaster), So mine would be a Sawtooth ET Series Tele. Great chunky neck, light sycamore body, and great sounding ceramic pickups. Yes, I got mine for well under $100, but it’s still a great guitar at $149 (for burst).

If I was in that boat, I’d be more likely to get an acoustic… and I’d pop for another Idllwild solid spruce top A/E. , or it’s lower priced Foothill cousin.

The only $200-ish guitars I’m even slightly tempted by now are the Harley Benton RIC copies, but until shipping costs come back down from Europe, it’s not happening.

Exhead, dbrian66 and porkpie like this.
  3. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Nut

Dec 3, 2020
    Djjd
    I bought this D'Angelico Premier Brighton for $200 used last week. It sells new for $800, back in June they were the Stupid Deal of the Day for $480. But the Brighton is rarely ever on STOTD, usually it's their semi-hollows.

I would 99% of the time advise buying used and avoiding new like the plague.
    IMG_20211013_152808897~2.jpg

Archtops, rorygman, Eddd and 5 others like this.
  4. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Yes, the Sawtoth ET Tele. I remember that. I think I paid somewhere around $50 a couple years ago as a member turned us on to this great deal. Still have mine.

Caddy, dbrian66 and radiotech like this.
  5. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Squier Bullet Mustang. Yes, I didn't vibe with it because I thought the pickups were too hot and didn't clean up as much as I liked (and I tried several models in different finishes.) Still, I think the quality control is good ... the resale value is good (although not as much as Firefly guitars for the continuing frenzy for these things) and overall the construction was very good.

I see them on sale for about $150 new.

Having said that, I own two Monoprice Indio "Strats" and I think the overall construction is good ... BUT ... I've found their resale value is very little.

I know porkpie has already chosen a guitar and that is one I've been thinking about too so congratulations.

Cochise, porkpie, miket1117 and 2 others like this.
  7. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    I've tried the Helix. For what it's worth, build quality and components wise, it's every bit as good (or better) than a low end Squier or Epiphone. Just won't get anything back on resell.

8. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2010
    Philly 'Burbs
    There's always some quirky budget guitar that gains some cult following - think Squier '51. I'm not sure what fits into that category right now, but the Bullet Mustang is pretty close. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Squier fan either. Look out on Reverb and eBay. Check the prices for new vs. used. They're not that far apart. Also take note of how many people are asking escalated prices for modded Bullet Mustangs. It's not just one or two head-in-the-clouds sellers. There are quite a few... so someone must be buying them.

That said the Bullets in the past few years have been pretty good quality for the money. You can spend less than $200 and know you have a pretty solid instrument.

Cochise, porkpie, miket1117 and 3 others like this.
  9. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Very right on the Bullet Mustangs...I think the Affinity HH Jazzmasters are a good candidate for this type of thing, too. Became very popular as an affordable mod platform, and as I understand it Squier has stopped manufacturing them. Could see them becoming a bit sought-after as time goes on. They're a little more, $225-250 new but you can still find them used around $200.

Cochise, porkpie, miket1117 and 2 others like this.
  10. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Nut

Dec 3, 2020
    Djjd
    Hello Kitty Strat...

11. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2012
    South Central Los Angeles
    For short $, Glarry offers some VERY affordable and very playable options.
    Not so much for holding value though.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.

porkpie and dbrian66 like this.
  12. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-holic

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    Caddy, Shine, Cochise and 6 others like this.
  13. Have the crazy prices come down on those? For a while people were asking and getting stupid Dinero for 'em.

miket1117 and dbrian66 like this.
  14. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    This right here is the answer!

miket1117, Archtops and porkpie like this.
  15. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Looks awesome.
    Let us know what you think when you get it

porkpie likes this.
  16. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Yes. Mine did that too, turned it off and after a long wait, page loaded

porkpie likes this.
  17. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
  18. YippityDewDawg

YippityDewDawg New Member

Oct 15, 2021
    District of Columbia

19. YippityDewDawg

YippityDewDawg New Member

Oct 15, 2021
    District of Columbia
    Hi, I just joined this website 5 min ago and….this is my first post ever. I’d like to add my 100000 cryptos ( 2 cents to the old school analog folks)to the topic, then I’ll try to introduce myself.
    Mr. Pie…My gut response was buy a used squire affinity strat because the likelihood of finding an excellent one is really good (if you’re in a position to try several) and the resale or trade in value is fairly consistent. If you must buy something new - I’ve heard great things about Cozart too…Will Ray speaks very highly of this brand with one caveat: “although they’ve all been good - summer better then otherzzz.

miket1117, Archtops and Exhead like this.
  20. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Exactly this, let someone else pay retail, get the better bargain