What would you call this type of tuning machine?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by John L Rose, Aug 12, 2020.

1. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

My Squier VM Jaguar has tuners with a slot across the top and a hole coaxial with the peg. I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bacon.

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of a Fender Jag with a similar style - Fender_Jaguar-AmericanVintage62_headstock.jpg

Fender describes them simply as "Tuning Machines: Vintage Style" in the specs.
    You try googling for that, and you get everything but. Most typically the photo shows them with the top facing away from the camera, so you can't tell.

Do they have a different name in common use?

Just to make it a more difficult search, I have this fantasy of getting some in black. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand.

late2guitar, SquierTap and MrYeats like this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    "split-shaft", "vintage" style ... A.K.A. the best kind :)

SoundDesign, Eddd, Blib and 8 others like this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I honestly do not know why tuner technology had to try and improve on this design -- its easy and flawless once you know how to do it!

I think even those fancy locking tuners are WAY more trouble than necessary -- split-shaft tuners all the way all day for me. :)

4. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Eddd, late2guitar, SquierTap and 4 others like this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Exactly what @IronSchef said and I have a few sets and love them.

Eddd, SquierTap, MrYeats and 2 others like this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have no problem with vintage style, or modern style tuners, but IMO Fender's locking tuners are the best of them all. No need to have multiple wraps, pull the string tight and lock it and tune, and it's rock solid. The only problem with the vintage style is that the high E tends to slip up from the bottom of the hole if you're not really careful, and then it'll keep slipping and won't stay in tune until you unwrap and re-do it.

Eddd, brashboy, Luvs2yoko and 4 others like this.
  7. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    If I do decide my lawsuit Strat copy is to keep I'd ponder to swap in a set of these, I've always loved the guitars I've had in of friends with vintage tuners, the easiest kind to restring. The only problem of that guitar has to be the cheap hardware, though it's a 70s Strat and I'd nitpick over the era inaccuracy... Oh well. :D

SquierTap and BlueSquirrel like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I just did a Google search for "vintage tuners" and the first result was Amazon selling at least a dozen different types and brands of what you described. Maybe Google has figured out what I like, since I doubt if I'll ever buy any type other than the split shaft "vintage" type.

SquierTap, drewcp and MrYeats like this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Not if you make the first wrap go above where the string comes out of the slot before you start wrapping down.

MrYeats and DougMen like this.
  10. Chilidawg

Chilidawg Squier Talker

Aug 2, 2020
    Michigan
    Thanks for that. Now I'll know what to watch for.

SquierTap and BlueSquirrel like this.
  11. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Agreed, I often refer to them as the original locking tuner and is my preferred choice of tuner on any guitar.

Eddd and BlueSquirrel like this.
  12. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Right. after the first wrap, grab the string and pull it straight up and continue wrapping..Always holds firm. Get at least 3 full wraps.

VM51SQ likes this.
  13. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Love me some split-shaft tuners. I think it's interesting that decades later, they are still the standard for basses (though I imagine this is mostly due to string gauge). Interestingly enough though, my buddy in high school had a custom Carvin bass that had 6 string guitar style string-through-hole tuners, not really sure why the original owner wanted that option.

Eddd, SquierTap and BlueSquirrel like this.
  14. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Some of my basses have them, but I would like to see Fender to that to all their guitars, vintage is cool but I like easy and quick if I bust a string playing a gig. Most of the time I don't bring a back up so far never had to or too which one is it.

Eddd and MrYeats like this.
  15. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    You ever have trouble restringing with the guitar style string-through-hole tuners? Seems like it'd be a pain with an A or E string to get the looped back "knot like" part.

gary mitchell and MrYeats like this.
  16. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Those are my favorite tuners also. I bought a set for my T-style build from Musiclilly on Amazon. I think I paid about $18 for the 6 in line set. They work just as well as the ones that came stock on my VM'70s strat. I basically never have to retune!

17. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

For me, the gear ratio is more important than the shaft.

18. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Well, Kluson called them Safeti Post tuners in the olden days

(when I was a kid)...

All my Strats have the Gotoh version.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    gary mitchell, SquierTap and MrYeats like this.
  19. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Um... There is no evidence that there is a hole coaxial with the peg.
    If anything, the drawing makes it look like there's just a transverse hole.

I'm talking about the kind where you take the pre-clipped string and poke the end down through the coaxial hole, bend it over to one side in the slot ( I usually bend it away from the nut), give it a wrap, then crank the rest of the wraps.
    There is no exposed string end to clip because it is down inside the peg.

Here's some where you can clearly see the coaxial hole.
    [​IMG]
    The vendor's description says "For sale is a Vintage 60's set of Double Line Kluson tuners for a Stratocaster or Telecaster. It is a complete set with the bushings and screws. The tuners have a Patent number D-169400."

Waiddaminnit...
    I was going to say that Musiclily was one of the first places that I looked, but I must have missed these - "Musiclily Pro Vintage Style Split Shaft 6 in Line Guitar Tuners Tuning Pegs Keys Machine Heads Set for Squier Classic Vibe Strat/Tele Style, Nickel" -
    because they weren't black. They do have the coaxial holes though.

But at least I now know that searching for "vintage-style split shaft" will get me much closer to what I'm looking for.

SquierTap likes this.
  20. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Huh? If you mean the way Martin recommends, to lock the string on itself, it's not necessary. As long as you leave enough slack for two or three wraps around the post, it's not going anywhere.
    800px-Fender_Stratocaster_Headstock.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    ToneChaser77 and beagle like this.