What songs are you learning, currently?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Angry Possum, Jan 26, 2020.

1. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Another smooth transition to another song I had never heard of. :)
    It reminds me a bit of Led Zeppelin's tone for some reason. ;)

2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    As I mentioned elsewhere I'm working on an original blues song entitled "I Went Down to the River."

It's been a LONG time since I've done this and I am having so much fun doing it I cannot quite believe it. -That in part because I really like the song -- but maybe even more because I am truly stretching myself in doing so.

No backing track. I want it to be complete -- and interesting -- with just my voice and a single guitar.

To do that I am finding voices thru things like fingering and long three-finger slides that for me are new. And (the biggest challenge) trying to do things with my voice that truly are on the outside of what I've long seen as my limits.

How "good" the end result will be I truly do not know. Many years ago I worked with gifted vocalists -- people to whom an idea could be turned into a sonorous sound with ease. Now I have just have very limited me.

I'm hoping to make a quick vid of it soon. But whether I'll share it or just shiver at my own hubris remains to be seen. ;)

Still, to have a song reverberating in my head that makes me WANT to push myself is itself kind of thrilling, no matter the outcome.

-don

3. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Last song I was learning was Smells like teen spirit. That was about a month ago, we’ll see what next :cool:

jbrowning, Angry Possum and duceditor like this.
  4. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Always wanted to learn the chords to this classic tune. Pretty easy, good for intermediate players.

jbrowning and BarnyardShark1979 like this.
  5. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
  6. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Not Fade Away by Buddy Holly. Actually I'm working from the Greatful Dead version that has short breaks in it. It seems simple enough: you just whack away on 3 chords, but I've been playing a sloppy version for years. I'm trying to get crisp and clean with fretting and picking. It's like trying to play Freddie King stuff. Sounds dead simple, but doing it right is another matter.

Also working on Union Man by the Cate Brothers. It's basically R&B and requires precision on the rhythm parts.

jbrowning and Angry Possum like this.
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  8. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    About 2 or 3 months ago a buddy of mine (whose decades-long record collecting habit at thrift shops, yard sales, junk sales, and estate sales was starting to crowd him out of his house) gave me a few milk crates of LPs, a copy of "The Captain and Me" was in there, that had me playing 'Long Train' for a couple weeks.

'Electric Ladyland' was in there too, so I've been re-learning 'Long Hot Summer Night' and learning 'Burning of the Midnight Lamp.'

I've been strumming thru 'Brokedown Palace' a lot lately, just learned that one.

Also, have been developing/learning some new, so far untitled tunes with my band co-guitarist at our weekly, socially-distanced Sunday jams.

9. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I'm trying to figure out Understanding Jane by Icicle Works.

10. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    Ain`t talkin bout love,running with the devil,panama and you really got me...van halen.

11. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Still working on "Have you ever seen the rain". Man I started this back in March. But I've made some decent headway the last 2 weeks.
    Jim

speelyei and Angry Possum like this.
  12. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Cool, keep learning and practicing.

strat81 and jbrowning like this.
  13. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Thanks I'm hoping to have it learned by Thanksgiving. I only have 14 or 15 more measures left. I'm going to have to dig out the lesson video and see he does it. But I feel like I've accomplished a lot in the last couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Jim

MrYeats and Angry Possum like this.
  14. Jes Woodland

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    Finally got round to getting an interface for my pc so I can do some proper-ish home recording with Ableton 10. I've got a very rough 1st mix of something I've been meaning to put down for ages...a cover of 'The Machman' by Tubeway Army.
    I've also picked up a midi keyboard.....my head is spinning with getting used to new tech but it's great fun and very satisfying.

drneilmb, jbrowning and Angry Possum like this.
  15. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Mary Jane's Last Dance, It don't come easy, Dust My Broom, Chevrolet...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  16. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ

Pretty much got it, now.

Angry Possum and jbrowning like this.
  17. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I recently learned don't come easy, nice song.

MrYeats and jbrowning like this.
  18. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    George Harrison wrote the song, I think, and gave credit to Ringo. I like Ringo's version with Clapton on guitar.

19. campermoose

campermoose Squier-Meister

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    Echoes (Pink Floyd), trying to tackle the whole thing o_O

20. Jes Woodland

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    I started learning Echoes.... I got as far as 'ping'.