What songs are you learning, currently?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Angry Possum, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    My band White Room in Staten Island NY is currently learning Who are You by The Who and Driven to Tears by The Police, What are you great people currently learning or working on etc. Would like to hear from ya.

2. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Me and few of my buddies just finished this one. The drummer recorded this in his basement studio. Any Who fans here, have a listen.
    Put on the headfones, you can really appreciate it.

dyno71, papa920, Hu War Yu and 11 others like this.
  3. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    I git bit by the bass bug a few months ago, and have been picking up all sorts of (relatively easy) stuff, like numerous CCR songs, most of the standard blues lines, a couple Bob Marley tunes, some Cream and Clapton, a couple from Skynyrd and the Allman Bros, even a few from Green Day. (also quite a few other classics that I couldn't play the whole song to, but have just picked up the song's iconic riff, stuff like Superfreak, The Chain, Money, The Joker, Stand By Me, etc.)
    BTW, you guys sound fantastic !!

edit: Y'alls cover of Billion Dollar Babies was also outstanding (and hillarious!)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Hugh, jbrowning, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Since I got my first LP-like guitar some weeks ago, I've been on a Guns'N Roses kick lol Time has been scarce, though.

The Who is a band that I need to explore a bit more. I really like the classics, but I haven't gotten to listen all of their work.

5. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Not sure why, but i've been obsessing over the intro to Tesla's Love song the last couple days.

6. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Wow, That's a great intro to learn.

jbrowning, Mr Bones and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I also just learned the lead to More than a Feeling by Boston on Youtube. Its amazing what youtube has to offer for musicians, amazing.

Hugh, jbrowning, Rodiebobw and 3 others like this.
  8. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  9. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Wait, I got my wires crossed here. Are you guys 'White Room", or "The Fabulous Mercenaries", or both?
    Anyway, yeah, You-tube is an absolute gold mine ! If I'd had it as a resource as a highschool kid around '78-82, I'd be about a thousand times better than I am now !

10. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Im in White Room,,,, The Fabulous Mercenaries are an AllStar group of musicians randomnly selected to do many various songs. Its not a band.

jbrowning and dbrian66 like this.
  11. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I've been trying to get to grips with J J Cale's "Magnolia", it's not a difficult song chords wise but I find I'm either playing it too quick or way to slow, I need to get the tempo right before I can start working on the electric guitar parts.

Hugh, jbrowning, squierbilly and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Best of luck in yer pursuit, brother!
    Timing is everything lol :)

13. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Today I'm working on Extreme's "More than Words" and "Ain't no Sunshine" by Bill Withers.

14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Tennessee Whiskey. Only has two chords in the whole song, but all the little licks and trying to get the tone just right has been fun.

5ofeight, jbrowning, Mr Bones and 5 others like this.
  15. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    As simple as it may seem .
    This is giving me fits :mad: lol

16. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    A while back I'd learned an old favorite of mine, the classic Etta James/Koko Taylor blues tune, "I'd rather go blind", and later realized I'd forgotten how to play it (I do that all the time, LOL!)
    So, I hunted down a You-tube tutorial on it, and this Tennessee Whiskey song came up with a batch of hits on "I'd rather go blind". Turns out it's because they're basically the same song !

(BTW, I saw Koko taylor back in the 80's, opening up for Johnny Winter, and Lonnie Mack,IIRC, and she and her ripping-hot band were hands-down the best blues act I'd ever heard !
    Better than Clapton, Stevie Ray, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Winter, John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers, Roy Buchanan, etc.)

5ofeight, jbrowning, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  17. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Only gotta nail the main solo for an upcoming cover; gotta get a spare afternoon to pick it all up and put everything together:

Still gotta pick the main solos of these two, they're my favorite tracks of their last album that was released last year:

18. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Havin heared both/met both/shared th stage with both, I can only agree...

Never got to have th pleasure of meetin th shriekin, skinny lil white girl from Port Arthur, whose music ultimately led me back down th Path to these Blues Ladies... I will remain forever saddened by that unfortunate circumstance of chronology...:(

jbrowning, Brocephus and Angry Possum like this.
  19. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Gonna learn this tonight..

Lets get started.. :)

Actually this guy is easier to follow..

With solo's

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  20. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019