What pups in my E series Strat (NGD)

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by gusman2x, Oct 12, 2020.

1. gusman2x

gusman2x Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2015
    Hi,

Don't know if I've ever posted here. I've had a few strats over the years (bitterly regret selling a very clean JV 57).

So I got rid a new Vintera Modified. Mainly because I couldn't live with the pao ferro (I know, I'm a snob), but it also played a bit to easy. It did however sound better than any strat I've played.

So cue my new E series. It's a joy to play. I love it, and it's certainly a keeper. Problem is, it doesn't sound great with even small amount of drive. Very muddy, with poor note separation. The guitar itself is fine, resonates well, sounds/feels very good unplugged, so I'm guessing it's the pickups. I saw a post earlier where someone seemed to have alnico pickups that were said to be standard. Mine seem to have a bar magnet. Sorry I couldn't get better pics, as the ground was stopping me from flipping the plate over.

So do these look standard? Not too fussed either way, as I'll happily replace the electrics to get it sounding good in the near future, as it's a joy to play.

Cheers

Mr Bones and cool gouhl like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum! an E series or serial only denotes when a guitar was made - not at all what model - there were several. We need to see photos of your guitar to tell you what should be in it stock....

Most f the Fender and Squier E series/serial Standards DO have ceramic magnet pickups - this is normal. They usually sound GREAT if you set them really low....

There are no pics showing right now in your post....

Best1989 and drewcp like this.
  3. gusman2x

gusman2x Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2015
  4. gusman2x

gusman2x Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2015
    Thanks for your reply, and the welcome. Yes, I was having a Imgur nightmare at work!

I have set the neck and middle nearly flat to the guard. Single note and lead stuff sounds fine, but note separation is really muddy on anything other than the bridge.

Love it though, feels and plays amazing. Kinda annoying as I'm just about to start a parstcaster build, and I now feel that I don't want any other strats than this one!

Mr Bones, fattboyzz and drewcp like this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    This is very easy - you have an E6 Squier ST-362 'Standard' - they came stock with basswood body and ceramic pickups, and are worth in the $350-450 US range used....

Your guitar has the exact pickups it should have, this model never had alnico pickups.....

Most 1980s Squier guitars from Japan DON'T have alnico pickups, most of the ones that do are made 1982 and 1983.

fattboyzz, drewcp and gusman2x like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I just want to state - the pickups in your photos are not set low. Those are high for Strat pickups. When I say low I mean the neck pickup's cover even with the pickguard surface or just a hair above, and the middle pickup max 1/8" higher than neck, bridge max 1/8" higher than middle....

gusman2x likes this.
  7. gusman2x

gusman2x Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2015
    Yes, sorry that pic was a NGD pic before I dropped them. I'd say that they're pretty much at what you recommended.

I might even see if I can get a set of the pickups that were in the Vintera. Sounded phenomenal. Better than my old JV, AVRI, etc

Mr Bones, drewcp and Guitarmageddon like this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  9. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    A great looking guitar. Enjoy. Those MIJ Squiers are hard to beat!

Mr Bones likes this.
  10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Squier Talker

Aug 18, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Beautiful E Strat!

I just put a full Fender pickguard in my newly acquired ST-357.

didn’t dig the ceramics.

yours is drop dead gorgeous!

gusman2x likes this.
  11. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Pretty sharp!

gusman2x likes this.
  12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    My favorite Strat pickups EVER are the Fender Yosemite ones in my Am Performer Strat (my avatar). They're very full and rich sounding while at the same time being very crisp and clear too. $94 for a set at Sweetwater.

gusman2x and CV50sFan90 like this.
  13. CV50sFan90

CV50sFan90 Squier Talker

Oct 10, 2020
    Minnesota
    Gonna have to agree with DougMen. I have the Yosemite set in my 50's Classic Vibe and they are incredible. Obviously, as with everything else in the guitar world, it comes down to personal preference. Check out a few different sets on YouTube. Shop around. What kind of music do you find yourself playing without thinking when you pick up your guitar?

gusman2x likes this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The pickups in the Vintera Modified 60s Strat that you had are described as "hot 60s style". That's why I recomended the Yosemite, because they run very similar to that description. Others in the Fender range that are similar are the Pure Vintage 65, Texas Specials, Tex Mex, and Fat 50s and Fat 60s, but they are all more expensive than the Yosemites. I've found the Texas Specials to be inconsistent, as they sound great in some guitars, and not so great in others (I love them in my Oscar Schmidt Strat, but the same set didn't impress me in other Strats I tried it in). The Fat 50s I don't really care for too much. I've never played the Fat 60s, and the Tex Mex are VERY bright IMO. The Pure Vintage 65s are killer too. I had a set of those in my Hendrix Strat and I loved them. Of all those I've mentioned, I like the Yosemites, PV 65, and Texas Specials the most.
    I also really love the Guitar Madness 62z. I put them in my Am Pro Strat, after trying the Texas Specials, an original American Standard set (the ones used in the Am Std Strat before they switched to Fat 50s), and Dimarzio Area 58s, and none of them thrilled me much, but the GM 62s brought that guitar to life like no others. They're only $25 a set, so if you don't like them, you aren't out much. They're vintage spec Alnico Vs that come with flat or staggered poles, and white, cream, or black covers, and Guitar Madness offers free shipping on Ebay.
    Here's what the Yosemites sound like.

When I played the Burgundy Mist Vintera 60s Modified Strat at my local Fender dealer it sounded very similar to my Performer Strat

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    And here's the Pure Vintage 65s