What is the going rate for an early 2000’s MIM Strat? Does color affect the price?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by MyToyBrain, Jun 20, 2020.

1. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    What would you guys pay for a MIM Strat?

Montandy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Just speaking for myself, I would say the average price is around $300. Sometimes as low as $250, I think the most would be around $400 if has upgrades or a rare color you really want. That's what they go for in my neck of the woods anyway.

strummer101, Bluzy, Montandy and 5 others like this.
  3. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg Harder to find colors always bring a little more.I waited a long time to find this shell pink 60's mim strat.

4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've seen a few on FBM for $300 and $350 but none are moving. One for $250 sold immediately, but I think it was an MIM Squier Series with the label sanded off.

There's a 99 with upgraded pups near me for $300.

Some of the new Player Series have asking prices of $600 ... but I don't think those will sell. Why buy used for $600 when I can get a new one for $699?

5. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    About $350 is what I consider a fair price for most MIM standards, a little less if it’s a 90’s/early 00’s, maybe a little more of its 2010 or later.

6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yeah, that sounds like a good window to work from.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    It seems that finding an MIM under $300 is pretty dang hard -- I see tons of them listed at $375 - $450 tho

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Montandy, MI redneck, Jmv668 and 3 others like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  9. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    That's a pretty good price for that one.

10. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Yep, seems like sellers are trying to squeeze prices up on MIM Strats. Still some out there in my area in $300's, but those usually have problems, have been modded, or are beat. A good clean MIM would cost me closer to $400 here.

11. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    yeah I have been seeing some going for $400.00 or more...

12. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    That’s a nice looking set there.

Montandy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    look on reverb 5-600 a bit high i think they don't make standard anymore i don't think but i am probably wrong so 3-400 is not bad and the new mim's are around 700 the price if lucky grab an used american model around here.

14. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    In my country a good one cost 700 easy

Kenneth Mountain, Montandy and Eddie like this.
  15. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    Here's one about two hours North of me. Asking price is $400. Pry could score it for about tree fitty.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/967834720322028

It's had some upgrades sideways-grades like the pearloid pickguard/rear cavity cover (meh), the solid pickup covers, and Gibson-style knobs. These changes lessen its value IMHO.

Given a few minutes, the Gibson knobs are growing on me. They'd look good on a three-ply black pickguard and with stock, black pickup covers like on my 2012 MIM HSS pictured further below.

Also, it's hard to tell from the pics but the bridge block looks a bit on the thin side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Kenneth Mountain and Montandy like this.
  16. Socal-Al

Socal-Al Squier Talker

Aug 14, 2015
    I picked up a 2000 fender Stratacaster that sat in a case for 20 years for $225 on Nextdoor. like almost unplayed. He tried to sell it before for $250, no takers. I called him and he said 6 people called him about it. I told him I'd be there with cash in 30 minutes. 100% unmodified with no wear on frets or swirls on paint and Fender case. 20191205_110606.jpg

17. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  18. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I love that color!

Kenneth Mountain and Montandy like this.
  19. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Kenneth Mountain, Montandy and Eddie like this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    You can get a huge variety of answers.

Not a popular opinion, but based on both my own experience and people I've known with MiM, I'd say under $50 for a pristine one (easier to resale at a profit) and under $20 for a modded or less than perfect one. You're miles more likely to get a good guitar in any Squier, especially in Standard, Deluxe & above, or an NC serial numbered one. I'm not sure I'd pay even $50. I paid $200 for one once early on, and have never been more ripped off in my life. Total POS, worst guitar, bar none, I've ever owned. Other's I've known with them were no better, they just would not admit it because it said 'F' on the headstock. Of course that's just my opinion and an unpopular one at that.

Kenneth Mountain and pblanton like this.