Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Gretch

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Both are historically respected and initially chosen for their each unique to itself tonal qualities.

Today’s Gretsch are in some cases Asian-built sort’a Gretsches and in other cases ‘real’ ones. Even the PUPS between these vary significantly in output and tone.

Any and all can be a good match, but just going by the headstock name won’t tell you much.

-don

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
The negative comments about Gibson are because of the unrealistic expectations. Yes, Gibson is expensive. Yes, if you go over it with a fine tooth comb, you'll find imperfections.

If you spend $250,000 on a Lambo, and go over it with a needle nose microscope ... you'll find imperfections.

Is Gibson worth the money? Hell no. But Gibson makes an amazing instrument. If money is an issue, then Gibson is not for you. It's like a Steinway piano. Is it worth $150K for a concert grand? Hell no. But if you want the best, you'll need a Steinway. Just like Gibson.

dbrian66

Dr. Squier
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
I have two Gibsons and they are both wonderful guitars. I hear a lot of hate towards Gibsons here and on other discussion groups that center on budget friendly instruments, but I just don’t see it. Every Gibson I have played has been a very nice guitar.

I’ve only played one Gretsch. It was a modern day Asian built model. It was also a very nice guitar. But not at the level of my Gibson.

So I would say they are both quality made guitars. Find the one that talks to you the most and bring it home with you!

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Slight difference in a HB or P90 (Gibson) Tone vs a Filtertron (Gretsch) Tone to me. I love the Tone of Filtertron's A2 or A3 Magnets more than most HB's! I did own 2 Gibson Acoustics for over 40 years and quite pleased with my old LG-0 (1963) and J-55 Deluxe (1974)! Saved me money by not buying any Electrics for 38 years, but I have been catching up with around 65 Electrics in 14 years!:eek:

Last edited:

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Is Gibson worth the money? Hell no. But Gibson makes an amazing instrument. If money is an issue, then Gibson is not for you. It's like a Steinway piano. Is it worth $150K for a concert grand? Hell no. But if you want the best, you'll need a Steinway. Just like Gibson.
I overall quite agree with your comment, Eddie. But perhaps not this last portion of it.

What is "worth"?

We just read about folks here on ST spending $500 to $1000 for a single concert evening. Apparently such think those seats -- that experience and pleasure -- is "worth" it.

I won't argue with them. Only they themselves know the "worth" of such an experience.

But I can experientially compare that expense to spending "a lot of money" on purchasing a once and forever instrument such as a top end Gibson.

To uncategorically say that such a guitar -- or for that matter a Steinway piano -- "isn't worth it" means nothing. Well, not unless you include the phrase "to me."

-don

Doc538

Squier-Nut
Jan 23, 2021
Ma
Hmm, I like them both, top end of both lines are phenomenal builds, bottom end are run of the mill quality and this is where I think most complaints are coming from. Bought a $300 Gretsch bass had a few minor flaws and the pickups were not the advertised humbuckers but Fender sent $100 worth of Gretsch goodies, by the way the pick ups sound great.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Nut
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Gibson is a top notch guitar. Gretch is also, but in my lifetime, Gibson has almost always been top dog. If a Gibson's price tag runs me off, I would buy a Gretch in a model similar to what I would have been looking to buy in Gibson. I purchased an Epiphone Firebird, as the price for the Gibson Firebird is about 10 times more price tag wise. Both guitars are about the same as to how they are actually made, neck through the body, pickups fairly close in tone and all, but the Gibson has a fancier headstock and tuners are a bit more jazzy looking, That being said, buy what you like if you can afford it.

Paruwi

Squier-holic
Apr 28, 2019
Kraut-Territory
But if you want the best, you'll need a Steinway. Just like Gibson.

Sorry - NO

not for me, Gibson never was the 'Best' and never will be

They are good at brainwashing their customers.....
they live from their past success and try to fight others with their lawyers....
they should try to convince by quality......
OnlyaGibsonisoverpricedenough.jpg

btw I've voted Gretsch, especially the 'MiJ' ones......

Last edited:

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
The urge to act like a lawyer is strong, here: it depends. Both brands are, obviously, very tradition-oriented, so you have offerings of hollow body, semi-hollow and solid body (one could argue Gretsch's solid bodies are actually semi-hollows, given their chambered design, though) following their historical roots. Then, you also have plenty of classic and contemporary artists famous for using either of the brands, so you can have a good idea what to expect sound-wise.

One thing to be aware of is that the entry-level Grestch guitars use Filtertron-style humbuckers rather than the real deal, which some like for what they are, others say they're nothing like real Filtertrons. In terms of feel and playing, I'd say they're in the same ballpark: one time I've picked up a Gretsch at a store and was surprised it was much heavier than I thought, given it's supposedly mostly chambered and hollow inside - then, the necks are on the beefier side and with poorer upper fret reach, all things that didn't make me fall in love with it.

Overall, if you're looking for some darker, higher output tones, Gibson will get you covered, whereas if brighter, lower output yet punchier tones than what Fender typically offers you is what you wish, a Gretsch might be worth trying.

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
Negative comments sometimes come from buyer's remorse. Since some buyers spend their entire budget on a guitar, they want it to be flawless in every way. Wood isn't like that. On another forum, I saw a thread was about a dark mark that was inside the neck pocket, completely invisible until the owner removed the neck; another poster was upset about a mark on his relic guitar. I wish I were kidding.

Gretsch and Gibson (including their subsidiaries) have instruments that range from a few hundred dollars all the way up to $10K or more. It seems to me that an $800 Electromatic and an $800 Epiphone are pretty similar in quality. I would imagine that the same applies at other price points -- their $2K guitars are probably similar in quality, as are their $5K guitars, and so on.

Nov 24, 2018
Grouse season...
Sorry - NO

not for me, Gibson never was the 'Best' and never will be

They are good at brainwashing their customers.....
they live from their past success and try to fight others with their lawyers....
they should try to convince by quality......
View attachment 239674

btw I've voted Gretsch, especially the 'MiJ' ones......
Well said and I couldn't agree more. I refuse to buy from a company that uses lawsuits to gain customer's.

Latest posts