What is a Squier Strat SE?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Masshole, May 29, 2017.

1. JOJORAVEN

JOJORAVEN Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2020
    USA
    I can confirm that the pearl guard was not changed.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. JOJORAVEN

JOJORAVEN Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2020
    USA

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Paruwi like this.
  3. StratVegas

StratVegas Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2019
    Nevada
    Or, the alternate theory that CAEs weren't made at AXL.

We know there are CXS04/05/06 serials out there...it never made sense that one factory would be producing basically the same guitar...one with skunk stripe (CAE) and one without (CXS)...one with serials on stickers (CAE) and one with printed serials on/under the finish (CXS)....one with plain white pickguards (CAE) and one with pearl (CXS)....one with AXL-branded switchgear (CXS) and one without (CAE).

None of that makes any sense.

The Occam's Razor version says that they're made in two different factories, probably by two different contractors.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    Thanks
    over here they're offered for 120-140€

which is still a fair price IMO

5. CAE's weren't made at the Axl plant.
    CXS where made at Axl, and that's where the X in the CXS serial prefix comes from.

Cheers, Barrie.

6. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    so I guess this is no longer about what a SE guitar is or what is a ES guitar. SE solid electric, ES electric Spanish.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Thank you Barrie.. Maybe torqued a better term.. Its bent up and the screws are deformed.. Guitar center out of them so had to order be a bit... In the meantime I pulled the pickguard to fix a screw that floats the middle pickup, reset and put an anchor on the back of the screw to hold it down and inspected the electronics... Ugly but functional..

There is mine.. You win..lol..

Attached Files:

8. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    I figured there's no better "first post" than to share pics of my $33 SE find! I had been wanting to pick up a Strat (the one in my profile pic was a '96 50th Anniversary Squire that I acquired in a trade and then traded it myself not long after) and I was able to ID this guitar mostly thanks to this thread.

As you can see it arrived in pretty poor condition, looks like it was left leaning against a wall in a basement for at least a decade (you can see the discoloration on the neck where the pick was left in the strings, the after picture is MUCH better than when I first pulled it out, it was a real "ouch" moment). Thankfully some elbow grease and 30 minutes got it pretty cleaned up. The electronics are rather crunchy and I'm more of a fan of pearloid anyways so I have a loaded pickguard on the way to install. The neck is thankfully in great shape. It's a CAE 00.

IMG_5764.jpg IMG_5765.jpg IMG_5767.jpg IMG_5768.jpg

Paruwi, Mr Bones, duggerh and 7 others like this.
  9. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Ya they weren't

drewcp, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  10. They all where. It's the third number that changes. Cheers, Barrie.

11. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Welcome to the boards, and thank you for saving that SE!

12. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    I replaced my electronics as a complete wiring harness from www.eyguitarmusic.com for like 25 USD. That site rules! Affordable shipping that came fast and with tracking. Thst and lowering the ceramic pickups Made a huuuuuge difference.

13. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Thanks Ricky I plugged it up to a practice amp but was like kissing your sister..lol.. About to to give it the meat of the JC 120 and finish adjusting the pickup heights.. Ive read alot, some say low on the heights for better tone.. We see how this girl acts..

The electronics look shady so probly the first thing I do, along with a pick guard.. Im taking my time on the pickups... Found some good info on the different things to look for.. The mod continues!

Kenneth Mountain and Mr Bones like this.
  14. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Russ is the nut angled down from bass to treble or Flat across the nut slot?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  15. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    It's slightly angled down.

Kenneth Mountain and Rodiebobw like this.
  16. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Okay so sit normal or within nominal..Gonna put a tusq on, so that probly get s canned...Thanks sir..

Kenneth Mountain and russtopherb like this.
  17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Squier-Meister

Jun 27, 2010
    UK
    Here is my newly bought SE .30 quid off Gumtree and of course strings missing and terrible set up but all there .22frets ,a first for me ,all my other SE's were 21 .No Squier on the tuners ,this is standard it seems in the UK at least on the 4 or so I have bought .fret board radius seems like 12 inchs which suits me just fine .No serial sticker ,it fell off no doubt .Plays well after a set up but still needs a fret polish .It will have new pickups .It also came with a Marshall MG10 amp but the overdrive doesnt work .

thumbnail.jpg

18. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Sharp Beastie.. Nice snag as well for the price in squid..lol.. I like that look with the white pick guard as well.. Those stock Pickups on that Tritone, are usable.. Ive been lighting mine up this week from a purchase last month, most pleased..

Let us hear it sir!! NICE AXE!

19. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Squier-Meister

Jun 27, 2010
    UK
    The white pickguard is actually going creamy and looks rather good ..Its only white under the extra fret overhang .

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  20. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Think this is an SE? The headstock printing seems a bit different from the other examples I've seen here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kenneth Mountain, Mr Bones and drewcp like this.