What is a Squier Strat SE?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Masshole, May 29, 2017.

1. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I just ordered this used from guitar center for 79 bucks. Its shipping now and the nice guitar center employee actually took 3 pics and sent them to me. It was listed as a 2 tone bullet. But I want to know what you guys think it is
    Screenshot_20211005-143357.png Screenshot_20211005-143415.png Screenshot_20211005-143406.png

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

new bullet

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Britannia
    Looks like an SE to me, @StormCaster … what is the body thickness? And what is the back of the headstock telling you?
    Cheers, rorygman :cool:

drewcp, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s what I was thinking as well.

5. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    I don't think it's an SE.

6. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Actually, I'm not sure if that's a new Bullet.
    I recently had one I was setting up for a friend, and it says Stratocaster on the headstock, not Strat, and the truss rod has a plastic plug, but maybe it's different in some markets.
    And this one has a 3 ply pickguard which is definitely not on the new Bullets so it's either been changed or it's a SE.

New Bullet body is normal Bullet thickness, much better tuners, nice neck, pickups sound great if lowered a bit. Full size pots on the one I did.
    Overall, really nice guitar, needed a basic setup, string height etc, but was pretty good right out the box. IMG_20210803_184855.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. chuckusa

chuckusa Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Hi guys I've read this entire thread and thanks for posting all this information. For the longest time, I wondered why some squiers had "Squier" stamped on the tuning machines and why the front of the headstocks said Squier Strat by Fender and not Affinity. I finally got my answer lol.

So before I even knew what an SE was I just wanted one just because I thought there was something strange about the tuning machines being stamped "Squier" SO I bought this one off gc.com. It's an 05 model the tuning machines are stamped. I am going to have to replace the bridge because the whammy bar is broken off inside.

I wanted to know what's the lowest price, best bridge I can replace this with and from where? I see that some folks say a MIM standard tremolo will drop right in? Also lowest price best Alnico 5 pickup set I can get and from where? Please guys let me know. My plans are to replace the springs, bridge and drop in an orange drop .047 cap with some Alnico 5's. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Ladeeh like this.
  8. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Congratz! MiM standard should be a straight drop in. Genuine Fender Made in Taiwan is among the cheapest (from Ebay) bridges out there.

9. chuckusa

chuckusa Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  10. chuckusa

chuckusa Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I kinda went ahead and ordered one of the ones mentioned on this thread from Reverb.com. Now I just gotta find a whammy bar. Thanks for the reply :)

Kenneth Mountain, Ladeeh and dbrian66 like this.
  11. crowtee

crowtee Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2018
    utah
    Guitar madness 62z pickups are awesome. 25 dollars on eBay for the whole set
    If you want to spend a little more pribora voodoo pickups 60 dollars on eBay but there from Russia so it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get them but they are great, or go all out Seymour Duncan ssl 1 set. About 125

mike

12. chuckusa

chuckusa Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Nice I can't wait to try some. The 62z's.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  13. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Yeah, that's exactly the one I was mentioning. Good luck and tell us what you think about it once u do the replacement.

chuckusa and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. fleezinator

fleezinator Squier Talker

Jun 22, 2020
    Texas
    I've got a lead on to a CXS but I'm unsure of the nut widths on them. Are they fairly consistent among SE models? I see two guitars in my area, each asking $200, one with the pack amp, the other without. Pretty steep, no?

15. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    This was an SE - 100% for sure . Can't possibly get it mixed up with the new Bullet. The new and old Squier logos look nothing alike, and 'BY FENDER' is most obviously different - this is the 2001 to 2017 Squier logo - it's an SE.....

chuckusa, rorygman, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    42-43mm, never narrow 40mm nut width if it's truly an SE.....and not steep, they're worth $150 at least now in the USA when it comes to online sales. $200 with the whole pack is not a bad deal IMHO.

The pandemic has risen all guitar used prices......gone are the days of usual finds of sub $100 or $50 Squier guitars.....and the high end stuff is worth $300-350 US used....

17. chuckusa

chuckusa Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    It's a 2005 SE. What's the body made of? Also, what's the tuning machine holes size in mm in the headstock*
    Did this guitar come with 250k pots?
    Recommendations for some nice tuning machines? I love this guitar. It plays so good, stock sounds nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  18. crowtee

crowtee Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2018
    utah
    I believe the body is Agathis. I haven’t measured the tuner holes I think they may be 8mm. My favorite tuners are hipshot locking tuners. Here is my 09 SE everything has been changed out except the body
    Mike

Attached Files:

chuckusa likes this.
  19. chuckusa

chuckusa Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    The tuners are 10mm on mine.

20. chuckusa

chuckusa Squier Talker

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Here's this bridge. Sounds just beautiful.

Attached Files: