What hell amp do i need to keep? My list

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal Thunder' started by Powerstroke, May 26, 2021.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    M
    Yes. My 6505 actually had a spring reverb unit that can be unplugged.
    Also alot of amps sound better with a patch cord in the effects loop
    One amp i had used a separate tube to run the loop

65refinyellow likes this.
  2. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    My ears can’t instantly recognize the buffer circuit wiring for reverb units that some old school players say that ruins the sound. It’s only when I hear them side by side.

I would hope the buffer circuit is in the reverb unit. I don’t know why many tell me to record dry and have reverb added post production but it seems cleaner that way in the end snd more lively.

It’s like when I record vocals I go in dry and add delay and reverb later.

It’s also like stacked humbucker single coils (like the Fender Noiseless pickups) where they sound ok and natural but only really sound compressed and lifeless when played next to a true single coil.

3. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Most likely its in the amp unless its a digital reverb unit. The spring unit is just a in and out. And it buffers outside of it . I think. I could be wrong. But i rarely use reverb. I might see what happens if i bypass it. I think the bugera jcm900 has a removable unit to. That amp really impresses me. It just has this cool sound

4. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    An interesting experiment could be to run the amp with its built in reverb clean vs the amp with the reverb detached running a reverb pedal clean.

I think it would be great to find a 50s Fender tweed amp somewhere but that is far beyond my budget.

I see a 70s Champ in the store and it’s tiny wattage and $700. It’s a one trick pony but way cheaper than any Fender tweed from mid-40s to early-60s.

https://reverb.com/p/fender-champ-5...MIgezfgM3y8AIVPAytBh0ubgpnEAQYJCABEgIpb_D_BwE

5. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I only buy local so this limits me.
    Still want a big boy amp. Eventually a good deal will pop up on 5150 or 6505 big head or a mesa dual rectifier

6. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Trying to insulate the shop
    And its dawned on me. I got too much junk. Ive got to get rid of some stuff.
    Hmmm do i need 3 cabs?

7. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Moved some stuff around. I was surprised how well the peavey Supreme did on the rhythm channel with the pedal infront.
    Hopefully swap some cabs tomorrow and test the celestions in the Chinese plywood vk cab. Somehow i dont think it will be worth the effort
    Usa made partical board crate cab will probably win still. Then the newer 8 ohm crate cab i paid $90 for used can probably go back to gc for a refund. Just have the 2 cabs. Run a full stack at 8ohms.
    20210601_025429.jpg 20210601_025447.jpg 20210601_025406.jpg