What hell amp do i need to keep? My list

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal Thunder' started by Powerstroke, May 26, 2021.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I have to many amps. Only really like one of them. I play metal. What would you guys do?

1......My first peavey
    Vt classic combo 212 solid-state pre amp 6l6gc x2 power tubes into 12s scorpions. $250 paid too much
    Sound terrible for metal. Needs pedal
    I hate pedals.

2 peavey valveking ii 100w head
    Paid $279 at sam ash
    Not really enough gain

3. peavey Supreme xl 100w solid-state head paid $200 w a crate 412 usa cab

4. boss katana II 100w head w pedal paid $300 gc used

5. Peavey 6505+ combo 112
    With mim fender telecaster
    Paid $300

6. Bugera 1990
    $300 gc used still with in return period

I wont say what i prefer but rather hear what you guys think 20210525_213558.jpg 20210525_213552.jpg 20210525_213541.jpg

2. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    If ya only like 1 id sell all the others and use the resources on something else. Looks like their takin up a lot of space too considering a lot of them are pushing multiple 12 inch speakers...

Id also find a way to get over my pedal phobia and test out an Ibanez SM9 Super Metal pedal from the early 80's... You could always resell it and get the money back... But then again ive used one so id be cheating as id already know what it does... If ya like metal tho... Thats the best crunch pedal ive ever tried out... Someone can hook that thing up to an 80's Peavey BackStage Plus combo they got off Clist for 50 bucks and it would be makin some pretty cool sounds... It makes everything amp wise sound pretty damn cool from my experiences... If ur lookin for crunch that thing definatly does it. Makes like old Sabbath and early Metallica type sounds... Altho a bunch of people who like early Motley Crue seem to like it as well as they seem to think it does that really well too... That was never my thing tho. I just like it for the crude/raw lo fi Sabbath and Kill Em All/Master Of Puppets type sounds...

3. ETucc

ETucc Squier Talker

May 25, 2021
    New Jersey
    Sell everything and get a Marshall stack.

Doc538, fattboyzz, DADGAD and 2 others like this.
  4. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Im not a Marshall fan. At all. Not enough drive without a pedal. Way over priced.
    The bugera 1990 is a jcm900 clone. You tube it. Sounds the same.

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I have a metal zone. Its decent. Ive got a digitech hot head(ds1 clone) and a zoom 505ii and the v amp pro.
    Forgot to mention the peavey Vypyr vip3. (Actually pretty awesome combo amp) But with the right pedal they all sound good enough

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Yea, what im talking about is like in another ball park. I always mention it for people who are looking to get metals sounds as ive never seen anything thats even close to the SM9... It just makes stuff sound really good if ur lookin for old school crunch. It uses like 2 OD circuits in combination with a 3 band eq and just spits out some really cool sounds. Figure id just mention as ya asked what u should do. Figured id sell the amps I dont use and buy an SM9 hah... That thing just rips...

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Ive seen one for sale locally.
    Im more into a sound like modern high high gain. Maybe lamb of god or shadows fall stuff.
    Master of puppets was my favorite Metallica sound.
    Pantera anything from vulgar display of power or newer. Thats why im not into Marshall. I want balls out death metal almost.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Right on. If ya ever see one for a low price remember u can always find another person who wants to buy it. So it makes a good option as far as a buy to test type thing. I wouldnt mention it except I just know how good it is so if someone likes to do metal sounds. They probably wouldnt hurt themselves too much by testing 1 out at some point... Its pretty much hard to find a person who says bad things about it. Pretty much anyone who tries it is usually rather impressed and then some... I knew I was the 1st time I tried one out. Was like on a way different level then all the other stuff I had tried previously... Still have mine altho I usually dont do crunch sounds. When I do tho its good to have that thing sitting around to make it happen...

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. irvinlamar

irvinlamar Squier Talker

Mar 15, 2021
    Decatur, AL
    You prefer number 6

Davis Sharp likes this.
  10. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Screenshot_20210526-000253_OfferUp.jpg
    I guess it was a different pedal. Anyways i really like my peavey 6505+ without any pedal. Its just a combo i could really live with out all the rest.
    A mesa triple rec or maybe a peavey misha mansoor invective amp might be cool to have.

11. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Number 5 or 4
    However the booger is pretty good if you want a jcm900

12. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I'd keep the Katana, but would never have bought the Peaveys in the first place. :p

drewcp and ETucc like this.
  13. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I almost returned the katana but its great for a all around amp but sorta cant do what the 6505 does.
    I mean i guess any amp would do just fine if you run a pedal

14. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Marshalls are generally overpriced stateside, considering you’ve got so many killer American brands like Mesa Boogie, Peavey, EVH, Laboga, Rivera, Soldano. But for what it’s worth, you should check out the Marshall JVM. Gain for days (too much if you max it) and it’s a really versatile and modern amp. Doesn’t need a boost one bit. Like I said, overpriced in the US.

Personally I would sell the 5 amps you don’t dig that much, and invest in a used 5150 block letter or 5153 Stealth head 50watt

ETucc and dbrian66 like this.
  15. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Jvm? Ok what model number?
    Ive had the valveking head up for sale a while. No one wants it i guess or i have to sell for like low. The solid-state supreme cant be worth much. Its never gunna need tubes and its actually sounds respectable. I haven't played it much. I bought it for the crate cab that has made in England celestions in it.
    The 1978 peavey vt classic 212 has been up for sale since i got it. No one wants it. Good pedal platform probably.
    Whats the scoop on the 5150 block letter heads?
    I never see any for sale locally. I probably don't need a 6505+ head since i have the combo and thats all i see locally and $800 at that

16. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
  17. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Yeah that’s what I mean, it’s way overpriced in the US when you consider what else is available to you there. If you’re able to spend that much cash, I’d be looking at Mesa Boogie Mark series instead!!
    It was just a FYI, there are more options in the Marshall range!

ETucc likes this.
  18. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Ah if there isn’t much a market to sell, that’s tricky.

The original 5150 has a different voicing to the 6505+, i think primarily down to the power tubes, but there’s also more gain on tap. US made too.
    It’s the metal sound you hear on so many metal albums through the 1990s-Today. Machine Head, Chimaira, Kreator, Gojira, At The Gates, Arch Enemy, Dimmu Bogir, Opeth, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom.
    I think the 6505+ is more like the 5152, which is generally brighter.

I hear about them moving about a lot on the Fb groups I’m a part of, atleast prior to EVH passing on - they may have gone up a bit of money with people thinking they’re more collectible now. Your experience in your local area might be different.

the EVh 5153 Stealth is a different animal altogether- but I’m only going off of clips I’ve heard of it. It’s a beast. If I had the space and use for such a monster - I’d totally be gunning for it.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  19. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    The 6505 on offer up for $800 is older made in usa still. Not sure what year that changed. My 6505+ combo is Chinesium .
    5x 12ax7 i think the heads have 6 or 7?
    Thats alot of awesome bands that im into. Bullet for my valentine uses the 6505 stuff.
    Guitar center doesnt stock any peavey stuff no more. But i guess its $1200 for a new 6505+ and closer to 2k for a evh 5150 (made by fender?)
    Mesa Boogie are expensive here.
    Hell i would buy a bugera 6260 if one pops up . I live not far from Phoenix Arizona so there lots of people and lots of stuff. But no amps used really
    Screenshot_20210526-031838_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20210526-031852_OfferUp.jpg

20. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Nut

Dec 3, 2020
    Djjd
    Get a Krankenstein. My cousin has one and it rips. He doesn't use pedals either. My Katana is for sale, I'm over it. All my tube amps, every single one sounds better. Unload that thing before the hype wears off.

driver8 likes this.