What do you guys think of Poplar bodies?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Genghis Bomb, Jan 13, 2022.

1. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2015
    not here anymore
    What do you guys think of Poplar bodies?
    Lightweight and resonant = excellent...

D

Hugh likes this.
  2. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Squier-Meister

Jan 12, 2021
    Arizona
    My current main guitar is made of poplar.

But then again, I don't buy into the tonewood debate on solid body electric guitars. Their effect, if any, would be next to negligible if not non existant the moment it is plugged in.

I am also a player who can pickup any guitar, any wood, any pickup and I'll still manage to sound just like me.

Eddd, Robb and Hugh like this.
  3. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Here's a nice poplar body! My CV 70's in transparent Sapphire. It has a blender mod and a Duncan Twang Banger in the bridge so it can sound like a Tele or a Strat. Nice and light, fun and snappy guitar!

PXL_20211130_195431554.jpg PXL_20211130_195401123.jpg PXL_20211130_195349459.jpg

4. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

For people that don't like poplar, I can't imagine what they think of pine. ;)

I think there are "alive" guitars and "dead" guitars and you can have either variety with any kind of wood you choose.

Eddd, Robb, archetype and 2 others like this.
  5. yoga

yoga Squier-Meister

Nov 7, 2021
    uk
    I don`t mind one iota , i`ve got poplar body guitars & they sound great .

Eddd, Robb, archetype and 1 other person like this.
  6. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Nut

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    Poplar isn't my favorite, but it's more about the quality of the wood than the type. Some Poplar can be fairly resonant, or pretty dead, but so can Alder, Ash or Pine if they're young and green. I do prefer Pine over Poplar, but only because I've had good luck with Pine bodies and I love the grain.

7. DrewB

DrewB Squier-Meister

Jan 3, 2020
    Independence, MO
    IMG_0024.JPG

Robb likes this.
  8. Genghis Bomb

Genghis Bomb Squier Talker

Jul 6, 2021
    Newfoundland
    Could be! All I know for sure is that Poplar chokes the sound of a guitar! And obviously most of the major manufacturers agree; not using it in anything but their beginner lines!

That does look nice! Strange, as I have heard that Poplar is typically not used with transparent finishes, but that looks very nice!

9. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    My poplar FSR Tele Bullet sounds great!

10. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    I have only owned a poplar body guitar for about ten hours, but I really, really like it. I took it out to jam tonight, and my Mr. Miyagi tried it on his Vibrolux Reverb, and really liked it as well. He’s been wheeling and dealing Telecasters for decades, and playing for over sixty years. I trust his opinion over mine.
    C952D663-9397-403B-8E8C-25CC15DD80A5.jpeg

beagle and Eddd like this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Squier-Axpert

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    You keep saying these things about Poplar, but it’s not really true. Gibson uses Poplar in its top of the line 335’s (in a ply with maple), Jackson uses it right up into their pro series, and PRS uses it in the JM silver Sky SE. Fender used it in the early Aerodynes (they use basswood now), and as I said before, I had a 91 made in USA Fender JP-90 bass that was poplar, and was wonderfully resonant for a solidbody.

Notice what I started with were facts, and what I ended with was an opinion.

“Poplar sucks” is your opinion, please stop stating it like it’s a fact.

What it looks like is you didn’t really want to discuss and gather opinions on Poplar. You just wanted to argue against it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022 at 5:59 AM
    Bob the builder and beagle like this.
  12. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Except, like I said somewhere up there ^, in the early 90s when there was a shortage of alder and Fender used poplar to make American Standard bodies. Mexican Standards were poplar bodies for most of the 90s.

Not only are your comments inaccurate, they're wilfully so, as you refuse to be educated.

13. 4406Pack

4406Pack Squier-Meister

Jan 12, 2021
    Poplar is basically east coast alder
    Even in the Live stream of the PRS questions and answers a Real guitar maker
    Paul Reed Smith discussed Poplar and how it is the same as alder
    The new Prs se Silversky is a poplar body

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    radiotech likes this.
  14. AxelMorisson

AxelMorisson Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2021
    Fagaras, Romania
    now I recalled a little story about how the prototype for the Telecaster was made out of pine- to be sure, a cheap and easy to carve wood perfect to quickly cut and adjust and set things right- a prototype, remember? And then there's a guy called Willie Nelson - that used to know Leo and the guys, and somehow came to see/hear/ test the very prototype but some time after the tele was in production and going strong, in the now established ash or alder.. and was surprised on how snappy, light and resonant the little "wood chip" was- and asked Leo for a special pine body. Years passed and folks re-discovered that light woods can also be used for guitars- cost matters aside, it helps to know people came to appreciate lighter woods like pine and poplar and others of the same kind . I cannot ever be a tone snob- the concrete slab strat and other experiments made by others, and a total beast of a Kramer that was found to be made of..plywood at a "routine maintenance/cleaning"- the first it had in the last 20 years it was abandoned in a pawn shop...convinced me that good guitars are just good, and made of- a large variety of things , some that I did not yet hear of. A friend got his hands on a Lucite body bass, heavy as f*** but with a nice sound, a guitar shop owner I know had a transparent /Lexan bodied strat that he used to showcase some high end wiring kits in the showcase but got it out for me to try and found awe...although again unwieldy weight... I built some pre-drilled kits made of woods I had no idea existed- both cheap and expensive, both rengas and mahogany lookalikes , I have a baroque violin that's built with a short straight MAPLE fretboard- because that's what they were built like back then, before "modern" ebony hardware was available/fashionable.. All and all the variety of materials that work to build guitars out of is simply astonishing. Carbon fiber body on my main violin (electric but still...), and that pressed Masonite/cardboard that Danelectros are made of...and the list goes on.
    As I said previously.. recently after becoming badly hurt and slowly recovering, there's nothing nicer than light instruments that can go for hours, instead of heavy slabs of various "precious" woods- although some engineering facts must be observed, i.e. no un-strengthened holes on light woods, use many screws that do not form a line if they are close together etc, do not design impossibly thin neck pockets or shallow interconnects that make things slip...
    Recently there's an entire "pine squad" that cheers for light bodied, usually raw or old (barn door style) pine teles, but other woods may catch up. From a sales standpoint, poplar is popular. Here in Romania there's an old saying that goes : you don't make a barrel out of rosewood nor a bridge out of poplar. True, poplar can be heavy and its total load bearing is not as great as hardwoods- but then again we're not building bridges here... or barrels for that matter. So hurray for rosewood boards on poplar/pine bodies. Other than that, both my Tele clone and Epi SG in poplar are fantastic. And so is my , ehem, Les Paul Special SL. (I won't get into details here, who knows what that is, good, and please don't tell anyone else, let them be impressed for a moment- just kidding. It's the cheapest thing ever to be called a Les Paul, Epi made it, and now it's called Melody Maker or something ).

15. jazzyjoe

jazzyjoe Squier Talker

Dec 14, 2021
    Brisbane, Australia
    This discussion can complement the Rosewood/Pau Ferro/Indian Laurel/Ebony thread.

Now, I’m in trouble with my all Squiers in poplar :( at least one of them has a maple fretboard.

Twostratsfornow likes this.