What do you guys think of Poplar bodies?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Genghis Bomb, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Genghis Bomb

Genghis Bomb Squier Talker

Jul 6, 2021
    Newfoundland
    Might be a controversial opinion, but *nothing* is more of a dealbreaker on a guitar for me than a Poplar body. I find guitars that use it tend to sound bland and lifeless, like they're choking the pickups. It's also a very soft wood, making the instrument much more prone to dents and dings.

Other than the low cost, and the preference for it in Asia as it let's them save on saw blades, I don't get why companies use it. I would rather pay an extra $50-$60 and have proper a proper hardwood body.

Case in point, the amazing Squier Contemporary line. The spec sheets are just *dynamite*, *except* those damn Poplar bodies!

Am I just insane here, or do you some of you guys avoid Poplar as well?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Hugh and Angry Possum like this.
  2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I prefer Alder.

Yellow pine is ok and Agathis is too ;)

Lots of guitars are made of Basswood and its a soft tonewood ;)

Hugh likes this.
  3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Obsessed With Music & Guitars Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Poplar is cool, and highly affordable. I have a poplar Tele body I built from scratch. It ain't half bad. Doesn't take stain that great, but it's workable. Some photos below of the poplar Tele. The poplar wood is green it seems.

20200112_183231.jpg

It came out decent with the yellow Angelus shoe dye I used
    20200113_134701.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    wickedtools, Amelia, Hugh and 10 others like this.
  4. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Jammin' in my Music Room Platinum Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    My 1961 Kay K102 Vanguard II guitar and my 1966 Sears (Coral) Silvertone 1443 Hornet bass are both Poplar for the necks and bodies. They both have fixed truss rods, too. The Kay has a maple veneer over the front and back of the body and it's light as hell. Like hollowbody light. The bass is heavy, though like 10.0 lbs heavy. Both sound great and I would take poplar over [email protected] any day. It's more resonant than basswood, which is not that resonant when compared to other woods used for guitar bodies.

Hugh and Angry Possum like this.
  5. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    If I didn't use pedals, I'd want alder. Using pedals, either is fine.

My Bullet Tele is polar and actually sounds better and more resonant unplugged than my Epi LP Special. Plugged in, the Epi slams the Tele though.
    Different p/ups, so perhaps an unfair comparison.

Angry Possum and Bob the builder like this.
  6. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Obsessed With Music & Guitars Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The Tonewood on electrics aren't as crucial as tonewoods on an acoustic. IMO,,, it's all hype, the pickups and hardware are more of a factor in the tone of an electric, than the body tonewood itself. I built a Candlenut Wood body that's very light and cheap, and it sounds pretty damned good.

jazzyjoe, Hugh, LOSTVENTURE and 7 others like this.
  7. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    There's nothing wrong with poplar, it's been used for American Standard Fenders when Alder was in short supply. The tone wood debate in reference to solid bodied guitars is a pile of excrement that I won't dip in to.

brians, Hugh, Hadronic Spin and 13 others like this.
  8. AxelMorisson

AxelMorisson Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2021
    Fagaras, Romania
    Poplar is affordable and helps a lot of young musicians with their first dream guitar... and that was it- until after my accident. Now I say : Poplar is very nice, cheap, and most of all light- I can't feel the weight of the guitar even after some hours of playing. My full mahogany SG on the other hand , while very nice , is a cruel punishment to my crushed and not-quite-healed legs and back..so it became sort of a case queen in these last years. Recently got a cheap Epi SG in full poplar- and I love it, it is...not painful to listen to or hold...for hours..

9. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I see what you did there... :D

Mr_10awg, Hugh, Angry Possum and 2 others like this.
  10. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

So there are a bunch of reasons for selecting a particular wood for the body of a guitar.

Weight
    Cost
    Availability (could include current laws)
    Color
    Aesthetics
    Tonal characteristics
    Guitar model legacy (like re-issues)
    Durability
    Others?

Hugh, Angry Possum and Robb like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Primarily cost. Profits are the main driver, the rest is pretty much marketing hype.

Mr_10awg, Eddd, Amelia and 6 others like this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Squier-Axpert

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I’ve had a number of poplar bodies (including a US made Fender JP-90). If it’s finished properly (especially with paint and poly), it’s nearly impossible to dent. My JP-90 took a number of tumbles, and hits over the 23 years I had it, and still looked like the day I got it. That bass had wonderful sustain (gave it up in the divorce).

That said, I’m all for “whatever” kind of guitar materials, as long as it is durable, plays (or can be made to play) well, and sounds good. One of my favorites is my Sawtooth Telecaster, and it’s made out of Sycamore!
    1B4B9017-DACA-41CE-8C4B-073165267D17.jpeg
    I’m not adverse to properly long (or cross) cut Basswood either, my Dimensions are the best sounding, most versatile basses I’ve ever owned.
    AFCD5106-D478-4D6D-95F5-19CDD3992EB3.jpeg
    Two other Basswood Stunners:
    0FCE53C7-57EC-4FD5-9FDE-FEA67C0B70CF.jpeg DE40E4F1-AA9B-43AB-A659-6C3093632B17.jpeg

Heck, my Martin 000 body Auditorium is HPL (maple/mahogany micro-ply w/layers of BAKELITE)! Sounds good, and indestructible!
    E9BEC1DB-A502-49A9-BF2C-E8D2451736DB.jpeg

If I could only tolerate certain woods, I’d probably only have a couple to few guitars.

jazzyjoe, Hugh, Angry Possum and 2 others like this.
  13. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I hear poplar is very poplar here !

jazzyjoe, Eddd, Amelia and 8 others like this.
  14. Big George

Big George Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Tonewood in electric guitars is a specious argument. It's all about the amplifier.

15. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Hahahaha

Robb, radiotech and Angry Possum like this.
  16. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I don't think polar is much softer than basswood or even alder. I started off think harder, heavier woods were better but I think softer woods resonate better. Plus the poly finishes they use are so hard you don't have to worry about denting so much.

Robb, Hugh and Angry Possum like this.
  17. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Alder dings just as easily as basswood or poplar, if not more easily. Don't ask me how I know...

18. The Butcher

The Butcher Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2021
    AUS
    Someone in marketing needs to give poplar a rebrand, I own a poplar squier and it goes just fine but I look down on it as the runt of the litter! It really does have a lousy reputation.

That said, one of my "go to" strats has a laminate body

Robb and Hugh like this.
  19. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I like Poplar. Nice grains. I chose it for my pedal board, because with the right stain, you can make the yellows, reds, purples, and greens really pop in it.
    As far as guitar bodies go...I'm with a lot of these other members---I don't hear a difference in the "wood" when it comes to solid body electrics.

Robb and Hugh like this.
  20. Slacker G

Slacker G Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2021
    Iowa
    I prefer
    #1Swamp Ash
    #2 Alder
    #3 Swamp Ash
    I could live with Poplar but only if I had to.

Robb and Hugh like this.