What are you playing today?

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
In my place, the rule's simpler: nobody touches my guitars period. Nobody else plays the guitar anyways, LOL!
My Wife will pick up my guitar and play some simple chords and my kids will pick it up and marvel at how it looks! Yes they try to play but right now are clueless about the guitar. Thus, I am buying the Squire Bullets to give them some lessons and also to teach them how to take proper care of what they own. It makes me smile how they treat my guitar with such respect. Lift it up off the stand I have it on so softly and move slowly with it to sit on the edge of the bed and tinker with it. The sounds of "ooohs and ahhs" coming from their admiration of the looks and sounds it can make. Priceless!

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
In my place, the rule's simpler: nobody touches my guitars period. Nobody else plays the guitar anyways, LOL!
If I owned something very expensive like a flat top Martin or higher priced gem, then the law would be hands off! M kids are super special in many ways and doing what they are asked is one of them. They amaze me with how good they are.

Powerstroke

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2021
Usa
My Wife will pick up my guitar and play some simple chords and my kids will pick it up and marvel at how it looks! Yes they try to play but right now are clueless about the guitar. Thus, I am buying the Squire Bullets to give them some lessons and also to teach them how to take proper care of what they own. It makes me smile how they treat my guitar with such respect. Lift it up off the stand I have it on so softly and move slowly with it to sit on the edge of the bed and tinker with it. The sounds of "ooohs and ahhs" coming from their admiration of the looks and sounds it can make. Priceless!
My boys are 3 and 5. They have their own squier affinity mini strat that I can't believe is in one peice still. I have a cheap ltd ec10 lp style guitar in the house. They don't usually touch it. But I wouldn't trust my kids to respect or not break anything. They break stuff all the time. They seem to know the mini squier is junk and always want to play a guitar I have instead.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
...we are trying to learn a Mexican surf tune this time.
Mexican surf? Currently the closest I get to that is playing this Mexican Vihuela as a 5-string baritone ukulele on the beach! 😁🤙

Mexican_Vihuela-CC1-(2000²).jpg

It's 19.5" scale length is close to the baritone ukulele's 19" scale length. However the incredibly deep back gives this instrument a phenomenally loud and deep voice compared to a normal bari uke.

Mexican_Vihuela-BR-(3000x2000).jpg

Attachments

• 7E847595-3F75-4A6B-AD88-006CEE8921DD.jpeg
    7E847595-3F75-4A6B-AD88-006CEE8921DD.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 2

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
My boys are 3 and 5. They have their own squier affinity mini strat that I can't believe is in one peice still. I have a cheap ltd ec10 lp style guitar in the house. They don't usually touch it. But I wouldn't trust my kids to respect or not break anything. They break stuff all the time. They seem to know the mini squier is junk and always want to play a guitar I have instead.
The kids I have are all adopted and had no choice in anything in their life. I run a compound that educates and feds and clothes and gives full medical for kids that have literally been tossed out of their homes by parents that are simply evil. Throw away kids even as young as 1 years old, tossed off a bus and most have been badly beaten or abused. The compound is in a Third World Nation and suffers from financial and moral poverty. I first had contact with some children that were housed in that very same compound when I was only a teenager and at that time the current owner asked me to be a pen pal. Time came to when that man passed and the older children there and the two people living their helping to run it asked me for financial help.

I owned a fairly successful commerical building company and had the financial freedom to go to the compund, rehab the building and take over the ownership. That was 25 years ago. At one time the compund housed 90 kids and three adult caretakers. Now there are only a few children there as many came and went onto a college or a career. I adopted several of the youngest at first and had them come here, a few older children wanted to stay as they do not desire to leave what they know as home. The kids all love education. Would rather own a set of books then have new toys. I have to be careful on my own expenses now as I do not have the income I did at one time.

The kids never fight, they sing and laugh and make stories to help learn math, science, and just about any topic you could pick. The older children would help teach the younger and I have had kids only 13 years old be offered a full academic scholarship due to just how well educated they are. Oldest kid at the compound right now has an IQ of 188. Next year he will come here and then head to Arizona State or MIT.

The kids here are like little angels. They love education and they have a system for each day and do chores and their school work with a big smile. The youngest is only turned 2 years old and we have had him since birth as his Mother died giving birth he was a premie. He is a character already he laughs and is so funny at times you have to leave the room or your sides will hurt from laughing so much.

So as you see a chunk of my life and issues, my home is very different then most. I give a positive outlook and the education the kids have has been fine tuned to give them the same business sense that I have had in life.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Mexican surf? Currently the closest I get to that is playing this Mexican Vihuela as a 5-string baritone ukulele on the beach! 😁🤙

View attachment 233759

It's 19.5" scale length is close to the baritone ukulele's 19" scale length. However the incredibly deep back gives this instrument a phenomenally loud and deep voice compared to a normal bari uke.

View attachment 233758
Wow the workmanship is sweet on that, I can imagine how deep the sound is.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Wow the workmanship is sweet on that, I can imagine how deep the sound is.
Yes, as far as I can tell it was hand made in Mexico (the country) in the 1970s, possibly in 1971. I have NO idea what woods went into its creation but yes, its a beautiful instrument that sounds fine!

Funny thing is that I have NO idea how ye tune nor play it as intended, but I went ahead and retuned it to a baritone ukulele, except with 5 strings (ADGBE). It's a good thing that it's unusual to be going all over the fretboard of an ukulele, because it only has 6 frets and rest of fretboard is fretless! 😉😁

Latest posts