What are you playing, really?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by speelyei, Oct 12, 2021.

What are you playing, really?

1. Noodling.

64.5%
  2. Songs from beginning to end.

40.8%
  3. Parts of this, some of that.

52.6%
  4. Weird noises with pedals and effects.

18.4%
  5. Practicing chords, scales, or other clearly defined exercises

36.8%
  6. Note for note solos.

11.8%
  7. Playing along with a metronome.

11.8%
  8. Layering my own loops, only to delete them shortly after.

14.5%
  9. Writing my own music or songs.

32.9%
  10. Recording.

23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I play the odd improvised cover tune too, now and then. I'm not playing the drums, I programmed them in MIDI ;)

2. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Noodling.
    Parts of this, some of that.
    But the parts & some is my own music and songs.

So I was able to vote in three categories. I really never been the "cover tunes" kinda guy, other than your Smoke On The Water days of the beginning.

grizzlewulf, Exhead and speelyei like this.
  3. Geetarman72

Geetarman72 Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2020
    Deltona
    It varies , but I usually practice with recordings. Right now working on Sharp Dressed man. and some others really getting used to playing them again and trying to learn some of the little things that I leave out to make it sound even better. I also just got a new glass slide so working on using that . I don't do it enough to be as good as I'd like but it's coming !

grizzlewulf, Exhead and speelyei like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I stopped practicing for "improvement" some time ago, and learning other people's music and style somewhat later.

I am "retired" from the music 'biz' just as much, and in a similar vein, as I retired from the imaging and, more recently, writing business not too many years ago.

Today I awaken each day to the simple pleasure of being and doing. Not purposelessness by any means -- but, instead, the simple purposeful joy of doing and creating.

"l'art pour l'art'"

"ars gratia artis"

"art for art's sake"

That includes music, visuals, occasional writings, and most of all... living.

Just "noodle"?

Imitate (be it well or poorly) what has already been done by others?

Nope and nope.

"Live life. Love life." -That to me encapsulates it all.

-don

5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    My goal has changed since starting back up from my decades hiatus. I went from working on getting to my young self’s playing ability back (some days I still can), to working on learning old favorites note for note (fun, but useless for performing while singing), and finally Arranging songs I like so I can play and sing them out, no leads, some riffs (when needed). I’m like 80% to where I want to be, I just need to rehearse more.
    I do have some originals, but I still love playing Beatles songs as much as I ever did.

6. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    Thanks man, quite a few mistakes, meh, it was fun.

speelyei likes this.
  7. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    I`m presently learning the back catalogue of original material of the band I joined in June this year and writing the basslines for them. I`ve got about 20 of them to the point of being confident enough to play live and we are concentrating on our favourite 6 or 7 to take into a recording studio we`ve got booked for 5 days in mid November.
    When thats in the bag we have a set of covers to learn for a gig in the new year.
    I also try to make time for a bit of theory/scales, etc, to warm up.
    Yeah, I noodle too!...but who does`nt?

8. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Because of the physical limitations of my right arm, I can't play most the way they were written, so I just play it my way. Only songs I ever learned all the way through by the book, are hymns. Can't add a lead dueling with the vocal on Amazing Grace!

9. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Weird noise w/effects (ambient) - check

Writing/arranging my own stuff - check

Scales/modes/etc - check

Edit: Forgot to mention banjo. Kind of a "new wave" banjo thing go in on.

10. hneel

hneel Squier Talker

Jun 16, 2021
    Netherlands
    Often endlessly strumming an E or a D chord in a neverending quest for the 'Perfect Tone'.

Sometimes playing along with a song on YouTube. Usually with my old poor chord technique playing power chords. Finding the right chords of a song has gotten somewhat easier over the years.

And sometimes learning new stuff on JustinGuitar or Fender Play. One of my goals is to learn a better technique. Mastering proper bar chords is one of them. Not just power chords, but also minor for example.

grizzlewulf, speelyei and Exhead like this.
  11. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I mean, I consider it all noodling, but I check almost all of those boxes.

grizzlewulf, speelyei and Exhead like this.
  12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I really would like to be able to finger pick, but for some reason I dont have the dexterity in my right hand, the strange thing is I can pick the melody out using a plectrum(pick).... life is strange eh.

Exhead, Hugh and speelyei like this.
  13. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    I play around and find three fret positions on the thinner strings that sound ok when picked and then work on a simple melody whereby I use my thumb on a Bass string and finger pick the three thinner strings in a random fashion. May not be super musical but it pleases me.

Exhead, 5ofeight and speelyei like this.
  14. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    That's what matters to me. Therapy.

15. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Oh man pretty sure this is relatable for all of us lol

speelyei, Exhead and 5ofeight like this.
  16. Geetarman72

Geetarman72 Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2020
    Deltona
    One thing I am learning new is easier ways to play a song on the fretboard . Billy Gibbons uses lots of double stops which can be substituted for whole chord. Also changes the sound a bit . Learned a bit about what he was doing with that "Live at Daryl's house".

speelyei likes this.
  17. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    I have found that just strumming the C major chord and then lifting the index finger and strumming only the three thinnest strings you can get a nice relaxing melody going.
    Similarly with the A minor chord and lifting fingers you can get close to the Intro to Dell Shannons Runaway.
    Hey, it may not be advanced guitar work but it gives me a Heck of a lot of pleasure. Tom

speelyei and Eddd like this.